Reviews Categories | Transverters | Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240 Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240
Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $200
Description: 2m -> HF "reverse" transverter. 2 or 10W in on 2m gives 30-40W out on the HF bands.
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp/thp%20hp%20Eng/amateur_eng/xverter_eng.htm

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240.

VA3UMA Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2013 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Simplicity exemplified !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My introduction to the HX-240 took a while, .... and, boy ! Am I glad I came across one !?

I purchased a FT-221RD some years back, and immediately realized that there was more to this beauty than just 2m. What a well-built rig. I definitely wanted to use it on HF-SSB/CW.
Matter of fact, 2m operation is not convenient with the current trend in 2m repeater access. Yes, we do have the after-market pre-amp mod, PL-tone mod, etc…

Well, to keep it short, I started working an a homebrew HF transverter for this a couple of weeks back, and while Googling for design ideas – to avoid reinventing the wheel, I came across this little HX-240. As of this writing the HB is still in progress, but after some “want” ads, I eventually found one seller. Because of the skewed supply-demand, I ended-up paying a whopping $210 (including shipping) +$40 customs-duty.
Today I made a short video, and you’ll find it when you search for “FT-221R HX-240”.

I don’t need to switch-on the pre-amp in the HX-240. I’ve worked 80-10 with great reports. Of course, the FT-221R sounds great on SSB – I believe, because I’ve received several unsolicited ‘great-audio’ reports.

Connecting the HX-240 to the VHF rig is a no-brainer. I’ve also tested it with my TR-9130 VHF all-mode – with good results.

It is fun using this simple, light-weight, and well-built Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240 transverter. It is very, very portable, and the only portability limitation would be your VHF-all-mode rig.
If you want to put any 70s classic 2m all-mode TRX to good use, consider purchasing the HX-240. You will not go wrong.
I’ll purchase one more – if I find one !

EA3EWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 10:38 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the HX240/FT290 during my mobile days in 1992 from my truck. I couldnt fault it, worked into VK many times,AP2,JA,VE,BZ,ZB,ZL,all over europe and the UK and GM,GI, max 40 watts.
Excellent piece of kit matched with the FT290.
If I could give it 10 I would.

G4XMQ, now EA3EWO

G4IPZ Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2010 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Really excellent piece of kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having now had mine for quite a while I have to reiterate just how good this is. In fact I liked it so much I have just bought another one!
It is quite happy even running digital and the new ROS mode and I have used it at the low power setting where it proves as good as my TS130V.
They seem to go for around £90 in the UK but they can go for more because of their reputation and scarcity. It is superbly built inside and out my only niggle is that for some reason Tokyo Hypower didn't see fit to put any illumination on the meter. That's a simple enough mod and worth while adding.

G4IPZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous little beast!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got one of these on Ebay at well under £100. It arrived in 1st class condition. Connected up to my battered FT290R and my 1/2 size G5RV it can hear anything my Kenwood TS130 can.
I've only played with it briefly but I managed to work across the pond to VA3NA and R900DM and I'm getting about 40W out with the 290 driving it.
I bought it as a pack-&-carry portable set up for day trips and I reckon it's going to fit the bill 100%

EI2DJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2008 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Great,& great service from THP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these transverters since the 90's,
I use it with my yaesu FT-480R and it works Great. A great bit of kit. When I lost the user's manual recently I sent an email to THP and I had a new manual by return. First class service from THP.
I highly recommend the HX-240 5 out of 5, and 5 out of 5 to THP for very fast service.

Mike EI2DJ / G4GXN

G8LIK Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2008 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Good performer,nice construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all,
Just being trying out one of these ordered direct from THP,cost
was $180+$50shipping followed by the dreaded import duty around $65
into the UK. So the overheads are high but still a saving over the UK
dealers cost.
THP are very easy to deal with by email and respond quickly....
First impressions-really well packed,smart and pretty small. Inspected
internally and found the 4 final transistor screws not tight,seems to
be a common issue in devices which use heatsink compound....the stuff
flows after the initial tightning and needs redoing after a while. Just
something thats worth checking in any unit to avoid thermal stress.
Anyway the 30-40W O/P,driven by an old Kenwood 2M multimode (TR-751E
adj to 5 or 6 watts) works great and many contacts in a couple of hours.
Did notice that when adjusting the ATU on 14Mhz with a very bad SWR the
power meter went FSD-both on the HX-240 and the ATU so appeared
something had gone into self oscillation but no harm done and all works
splendidly when a reasonable match is obtained.
Nice unit and fun to use!
73s to all Steve G8LIK

ZS6HK Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2007 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably the best piece of gear I ever had ... and I still have it. I bought it in the early '90's when they first came out, just after I bought a Yaesu FT290R. The two go together so well. The did two mods, one was on the FT290R to reconnect the AGC at the switch when on CW and the other on the transverter to be able to connect the VHF antenna so that when you turn off the transverter you hear through on 2m. Lightning took out the FT290R one day but left the transverter alone and I now use it with an old Kenwood TR9000 which also needs the agc nod!!! I only use it on CW these days and it is just great, so convenient. The built in SWR indicator is amazing, I wish all equipment had that lamp. I would love to find another one to mod for the WARC bands. Can I really only give it 5 out of 5?? That's so unfair!!!

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2005 09:12 Send this review to a friend
"Reverse" transverter makes a surprisingly good HF rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tokyo Hy-Power came up with an interesting concept back in the 1990s. You have a nice 2m all mode rig. You'd like to have an HF rig. Why not use the 2m rig as an IF for an HF transverter? It's the reverse of what we normally think of for transverters but there is no reason it shouldn't work. Tokyo Hy-Power makes it work brilliantly.

I have used the HX-240 on the 2.5W input setting with a Yaesu FT-290R (original, Mark I) and more recently on the 10W input setting with an Icom IC-290A. The input power switch is under the top cover. Just make sure you don't run 10W with it set to 2.5W.

In either case I get 40W out on high power, 20W low, 12-80m and 30W/15W on 10m, all modes. I end up with a really decent HF receiver and transmit audio the same as I'd have on 2m. These are older, bare bones 2m rigs. If I used it with a higher end rig or newer rig with a nice set of filters I'd get even better results. Whatever features you have on 2m are exactly what you get on HF.

The transverter has a very functional preamp and an RF output meter. The bandswitch has five positions for 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10m but it can be used on the WARC bands and 60m. For example, 144.025 CW translated to 7.025CW in the 7.0MHz bandswitch position. 147.115 CW translates to 10.115MHz CW in the 7.0MHz position in the 30m band. If your 2m rig covers at least to 148.168MHz you can cover 17m as well.

You can also reduce drive power for QRP operation. If I drop the IC-290A to 1W I get 4W out in the 10W input position. No problems at all. I have driven the transverter with my 1W Mizuho portables with excellent results. In the 2.5W position Tokyo Hy-Power's manual says the transverter can be driven with as little as 200mW.

I've had two of these and they are interesting little toys. THP sold them in the U.S. market in 1992-93 but they are still produced and sold new in Japan. E-mail THP at info@thp.co.jp and they'll be happy to send you a quote with shipping. There was also a 6m-->HF transverter (model HX-640) but it has sadly been discontinued. I'd love to find one of those again.

If you have a use for an HX-240 I do highly recommend it. It does provide an inexpensive way for someone upgrading from Tech to General to get on HF but the performance is good enough for anyone to use and the small size is a nice plus.

M3AHE Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2004 08:10 Send this review to a friend
vhf to hf  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive only just got this transverter, the rx seems very good i use it with a ft726r and i was very pleased with the results every one i have spoken to through this unit has commented on how well it works . 8 watts in seems to give 40 out .I paid £50 for the unit second hand, mine doesnt have an illuminated meter . thats my only critacism, I would recomend this unit to anyone who was looking for a cheap way into hf

LU5AIM Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2003 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transverter!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of this transverter, and I'm very surprised with it.
The receiver is very hot, and the reports of Tx are goods.
I used it with a Kenwood TM 255 E in low power output 5 W, and the THP HTX 240 works great!
It has two levels of input power 2.5 W or 10 W for 40 W output power ( 3.5 to 21 Mhz) and 30 W in 28 Mhz.
Now, I enjoy using it with my Yaesu FT 817 with 2.5 W output power, I have an "amplifier" in HF when is necessary to use more power. In this way, the transverter give me full output power.
I made a mod, I added an attenuator for Rx, 20 Db aprox. because in 80 m and 40 m is very hard in Europe in the night operate without an attenuator.
I bought this transverter 5 years ago for U$s 150, a good price for this toy!
I want to say that the service of THP is great, when I need the operator manual, they sent to me one copy free, and fastly!!
Tokyo Hy-Power, great job!!
Great service, others manufacturers should to do the same!!
TKs for all. Max. LU5AIM/EA7 Sevilla, Andalucía. Spain.