Reviews Categories | Transverters | Tokyo Hy-Power HX-640 Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HX-640
Tokyo Hy-Power HX-640 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $549 in 1993
Description: 6m -> HF "reverse" transverter. 2 or 10W in on 6m gives 30-40W out on the HF bands.

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HX-640.

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2006 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Love it !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one used. Came over from Italy. Had slight problem, but not sure if I caused it when I hooked it up or not (?) 1 Blown diode on TX input. In any case, Just tested it briefly on 20m with a FT-100D set on 50MHz and works brilliantly. Only seen a total of 2 on eBay in about a year of monitoring. They seem to be more available as used units in the UK at some of the larger Radio Dealers...usually for under 100Quid. Awesome.

I have the HX-240 and love it. Use it with an aging IC-290a and works well.

The idea is to use the HX-640 in the car with my TS-60S 6m rig....for mobile work. Just wish it had 160m on it. I know I wouldn't work a whole lot on 160m/M but I would like to listen. Have done it before.

If you ever see IT or the sister transverter, the HX-240 (2m-> HF) snap it up.

If you ever see a HX-650 (10m->6m unit) email me and I'll buy it so I can have the entire set.

Cheers

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2002 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Unusual product, works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Tokyo Hy-Power HX-640 is one of the items I sold off when I hit some of life's more difficult moments last year. I really regret letting this one go. The concept is interesting: you have a really nice, feature packed 6m rig. You upgrade. You want HF. Back in the late '80s or early '90s that was a pretty expensive proposition. Here comes THP with a little box that does just the opposite of the typical transverter: it uses a 6m rig as an IF (or a 2m rig with the HX-240) and gives you 10-80m. It's neat.

The box itself is small and lightweight. Performance is surprisingly good even with a minimalistic 6m rig. I've tried it with a Yaesu FT-690R (original version) and a Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 handheld and found that I could get 40W out on the HF bands (30W on 10 meters), get good signal and audio reports, and have a receiver that was certainly up to par with a decent stand-alone HF rig. Input power is switchable: 2W or 10W for maximum output on HF. Now, if you use a really good 6m rig, like, say.... an Icom IC-575A, you get all the features of that rig on HF, such as a nice CW filter or PBT.

The HX-640 does have a high/low power position, and in low power output is halved. The band switch only has five positions (10, 15, 20, 40, and 80 meters), but the WARC bands are accessible too. For example, in the 21MHz position tuning the 6m rig to 50.300 would give an output of 21.300. Tune the same rig to 53.930 and the output is 24.930, or 12m SSB. The effect is not quite general coverage, but it's really close if your radio covers at least the full 6m band.

I found the preamp to be effective. The wattmeter which shows output is large and easy to read. The unit is extremely well constructed and very rugged. A mobile mounting bracket came with the HX-640.

THP produced an unusual transverter with a limited audience, but if you're in that audience it works very well indeed. It could also be used in lieu of an amplifier with a rig like an FT-817. If I ever find one again at a reasonable price I'll buy it in a heartbeat.