Reviews Categories | Lightning & Surge Protection/Supression | PolyPhaser IS-50UX-C0 Help

Reviews Summary for PolyPhaser IS-50UX-C0
PolyPhaser IS-50UX-C0 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Broadband DC Blocked Protector
More info: http://www.polyphaser.com

You can write your own review of the PolyPhaser IS-50UX-C0.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 1/5 Jul 29, 2007 08:46 Send this review to a friend
units failed at 1 kW  Time owned: more than 12 months
We had three of these units fail during 1 kW carrier transmit. The failure was with the internal capacitors. Replaced with Alpha Delta TT3G50 units and all is fine. No more PolyPhaser here. Can't trust them for 24/7 operation.

KO6UJ Rating: 1/5 Mar 23, 2007 22:49 Send this review to a friend
same problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the same problem after one week of use. It worked well barefoot, but the minute that I hit it with 500w my SWR jumped by 1-2 points. Finally, after hitting it with 1KW+ I could not tune-up, because of a HI SWR.

I removed PolyPhaser IS-50UX-C0 from the transmission line, and everything returned to normal.

:-(

Guy

W9RGB Rating: 1/5 Jun 16, 2006 18:50 Send this review to a friend
2 failed me at QRO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two IS-50UX-C0 units have failed me while I was transmitting through them. One failed after six months of use and the second after two years.

In both cases the insulation on an internal .01 MFD capacitor punctured. I was successfully transmitting (CW) through each arrestor at the time with low SWR (< 1:1.1), but moderate (400W) to high (1 KW) output power -- both units failed suddenly when the capacitor failed.

It appears to me the capacitors aren't sized adequately for high RF voltage, even though the device itself is rated at 2 KW.

I reported these failures to PolyPhaser but received no response.

K4EQQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2006 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Completely Transparent During Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the HF and UHF versions of the Polyphasers in use since 2001. Both have performed flawlessly. I did get a lesson in troubleshooting though - when this unit fails the only way to know is monitor the SWR which will rise sharply even into a dummy load.

I can't actually say my antenna has ever been struck by lightning, but I can say through some very severe thunderstorms my rig has not had any issue - even when it was connected to the Polyphaser.

Our county water department repeater uses the exact same unit on their UHF unit and the antenna is at the top of a 250' water tower. A great endorsement I think !!

The multistrike capability is great, but I wouldn't want to test it!!

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2006 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Top shelf VHF/UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are the units you will find in most Police, Fire, Ambulance etc tower sites. They work Great at VHF/UHF

However, I found out the hard way that high power HF and Polyphaser dont seem to work out........
check out I.C.E. for high power HF use.....
ALL arrestors require a good ground system.
And the "single point" ground.

KF8RX Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2005 02:19 Send this review to a friend
Top Shelf  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use these out of doors, attched right to the ground rods.. They are not weatherproof so I used coax seal all around after wraping them with electrical tape.

They have been burried now for two years and I have noticed no problems.

Eric

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2004 00:49 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
THE POLYPHASER IS DC ISOLATED.
THIS MEANS THAT EVEN THE SMALLEST VOLTAGE PRESENT ON THE CENTER CONDUCTOR WILL NOT MAKE IT TO THE RADIO.
THESE ARE INDOOR ONLY UNITS, BUT HAVE A PROVEN TRACK RECORD IN COMMERCIAL SERVICE