Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Heathkit HW-101 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HW-101
Heathkit  HW-101 Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: The HW-101 is an HF (80 to 10 meter) amateur band SSB transceiv
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HW-101.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2004 14:00 Send this review to a friend
25 years and still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built mine in 1979 when I got my Novice, as an incentive to upgrade to General. Bought it with a loan from my late grandfather, who later forgave the balance. I have other rigs today which I use more often, but, the '101 still works FB. I think that, when I get the time, I will do a little updating and preventive maintenance, change the antenna connector, add an external VFO input, swap out some old caps, look seriously at the maybe take the cabinet to NC Total Electronics for a new paint job. The old gal is worth it.

WB8RKQ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2004 13:26 Send this review to a friend
not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is a work horse radio they are still out there working after 35 yrs easy to fix if they brake they have good out put power have great rec audio they drift a little but if you let them warm up there stable i get mine out now in then and people dont even know that im talking on a 35 yr old radio you can buy them for around 80 bucks on ebay without power sullpy that is hihi you can get a power sulppy for around 50 bucks with speaker if your lucky they are a great old radio and are a blast to orperate plus you cant hurt the finals like a solid state rig you can tune any thing up hihi they are a great deal for a new ham to learn to tune radios and have fun 73

W3GMN Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2003 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best rigs I've ever and still own.I also run a Drake C line station.I use the HW-101 as a back-up.I have only had one problem with the rig and that was the Jackson drives which never worked right, I replaced both of them at NO expense thanks to Heath. The rig outputs over 200 watts into a Bird and the rcvr works fine. I wish it had a RIT on recieve and anyone who may have a circut please let me know.
Reading the whinners about problems just shows me how Ham radio has lost over the years (just look at the calls), nobody has enough skill to fix a rig any more and it doesn't get any easier than a Heath (I fix all my Drake equip and that's a lot harder). The Heath audio is better than the Drake.I was licenced in 1957 when you had to know how fix your gear and I also have a FCC first class licence.

WA2CLP Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2003 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig: Can't part with it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my HW-101 in High School (1971.) I spent so many hours operating that rig. I took it to Camp Sequoia in 1975 as the Ham Radio Counselor and worked the world from Rock Hill, NY. Then later it went to Va Beach and I operated portable/4.

My only real complaint about was the carrier null pot. I had to jiggle that thing every time I fired up the rig to completely null out the carrier. I finally replaced the pot and then soldered a jumper wire to one of the lugs that couldn't be completely soldered to the foil on the circuit board where it was mounted. That almost fixed the problem. The carrier still comes back every now and then, to this day.

Another easy fix was to re-solder the metal partition to the chassis near the heterodyne coils. When that thing unkowingly came loose I had all kinds of trouble on the upper bands with wild oscillations. Once the partition was secured the problem vanished like magic!

The 101 did manage to make it back to Benton Harbor once before they went out of business for a complete overhaul and it came back in "tip top" shape. Then later, with the help of a friend I fixed it myself, a couple of times; once when the audio went south by replacing a resistor that had burnt out.

Another fix was to add additional resistance to the cw sidetone so it wasn't so darn loud. It really hurt when you wore headphones. Ouch!!!

Right now I will need to replace the finals and driver tubes and hopefully it should be back on the air.

Even though I have a newer Kenwood I just can't seem to part with that good old Heathkit because it brings back so many good memories of my time on the air.

Very 73--Dan WA2CLP

K8KHW Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2003 22:08 Send this review to a friend
The Heathkit is a great old Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and own now several Heathkit Rigs, As with all things I have had some good and bad rigs, But over all they have proformed great for me, I use a HW-101 everyday on CW and it has done a great job. I also have a HW-101 I use on the digital modes like psk-ect and have no problems doing so. I guess it,s just like cars It,s what ever you like, But one should not give a bad review on a one time deal, I have owned about all the differnt rigs made and have had bad ones in them all. 73 Randy K8KHW

Anonymous Rating: 0/5 Jun 21, 2003 20:17 Send this review to a friend
awfull  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used one of these decades ago and I'm glad some users liked it because I think it was the worst piece of crap (other than a SB 102) I ever saw. The tuning mechanism was beyond crap, the thing drifted badly, the xmit audio didn't sound good, and it was a really cheapo rig in general. I hate to admit it but it did have one aspect going for it better than Hallicrafters, Drake, Swan, and a few others, it used 6146 outputs instead of sweep tubes. Other than that, the radio wasn't worth the cost of the parts much less than a week of your life to assemble it.

W4PTO Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2003 04:48 Send this review to a friend
I beg to differ!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experiences with the "Hot Water one-oh-one" is much much different that the previous entry. Heathkit's second HW of the series was perhaps the best bang for the buck. My mom bought me a kit about 1976 as a teenager still going through high school. It was probably the best thing she could do for me as it helped me with my education as I eventually became an Navy Technician then later, an Electrical Engineer. But I digress.

I received the kit and that unit followed me around throughout various Army posts my father was assigned to until I joined the Navy in 1981. Then, I foolishly sold it at that time.

I used by HW-101 throughout my Novice and General ham careers. It never gave me any significant problems. It's 1:36 "double" Jackson drive was much slower that the it's predecessor, the HW-100. I also used it on CW and it was great! I made many contacts on that rig. If I had to do it again, I'll purchase an HW-101 and use it as my primary sideband/vintage SSB rig.

KD7KOY Rating: 1/5 Apr 3, 2003 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Too much trouble..: P  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had a HW-101 station that I bought that was "pristine.
First 5 minutes it blew two resistors and a cap.
After replacing them it worked for a couple of days and then blew a diode in the power supply.
I rebuilt the power supply completely..
It was good for about a week and then a tube went out in the receive section.
Replaced that..
Worked for about 2 weeks and a resistor blew in the drive board..
I spent more time troubleshooting and waiting for parts than using it.
I took the money for the parts, bought a beer and drove to the nearest landfill..it had a good funeral ..: P
These rigs are for people who have alot of time, knowledge and equiptment to troubleshoot.
If you don't, put a couple of hundrend bucks with the price of the Heathkit and parts and get a nice tested rig or a new one for around $500.00.

WA6PRL Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2003 01:01 Send this review to a friend
Classics still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Run my HW-101 in my van. Does great job for me there. One in the attic as backup for the other rigs. One in the garage for ten meters. Bought my first one in 1972.

Cannot kill these things. Great way to learn about what is under the hood.

WA4JM Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2001 08:16 Send this review to a friend
First Heath SSB Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this little gem from a CB'er who who used a different crystal for 11 meter use. CB'er or not, he did a great job of building this rig and his soldering skills were excellent. The HW101 performed very nicely except for a very annoying desense problem that I later tracked down to a faulty Carrier Null pot. I think the value was 5K. Once fixed this radio performed great. Open the lid and heat the room in the winter. Very forgiving to high SWR. A fun rig to operate.