Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | National NC-303 Help

Reviews Summary for National NC-303
National NC-303 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $449.00
Description: 160 thru 10 Meters amateur bands with converter bands for 6, 2 and 220 Mhz with direct dial readout. Converters are optional.

You can write your own review of the National NC-303.

KC8JX Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2003 22:40 Send this review to a friend
This receiver is 45 years old?  Time owned: more than 12 months
My NC-303 was purchased prior to the Dayton Hamvention in 1998 and was delivered there. What a superb olde radio. Has cw/am/ssb coverage and selectivity from as narrow as 400 cycles to as wide as 8 kc. This is a large radio and heavy (that's why they call these "boatanchors"). This is known, I believe, as the second edition of the "dream receivers". I would not try ot 'buffalo' anyone thinking this receiver is better than today's super duper technology transceivers with dsp...et all. However, for a receiver made in the mid 50's this receiver hears almost just as good. I agree "This is a great find, a nice addition to my shack and I really enjoy using it". It is paired with my Heathkit DX-100B, primarily for AM use. A very very good old tyme radio.

K6ZL Rating: 1/5 Aug 21, 2003 02:11 Send this review to a friend
Can be really great but has a fatal flaw.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio and it's predessessor the NC300, in top shape are cool receivers. The NC303 is great out of the box and the NC300 with K0EOO mods (see E.R. Sept '92) can is vertually as good. Here's the fatal flaw, the dial string on the "vfo" is a nightmare to replace. When the brass pullies on the band drum wear, they wobble on their shafts, the dial string constantly comes off, a real pain. I know, I just through one in the dumpster, with those problems.
When the receiver's great it's great, when it's not, Bummer!!!

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2003 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Sleeper radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had quite a number of older receivers, and THIS one is here to stay. I think you can go through all the motions of testing, and looking at specs, and seeing what was supposed to be the "greatest" radio of the period, but what it comes down to for me is "what radio gets turned on when I go in the shack?" That is where the NC303 is in my lineup .... the first one to go on, and the last to be turned off. (Apologies to Uncle Art!)

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2003 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, I am one of those that would rate this a "5"; I recently acquired this rig along with a TMC GPR-90; the GPR-90 was the reason for my interest and the NC-303 was available at the same time as an older ham was "thinning out" his collection (thanx and a hat tip to my friend Larry Tinkler, who told me about the deal). Parenthetically, I was somewhat disappointed in the GPR-90 (nice looking rcvr but not real sensitive). Nonetheless the 303 was the "real" find. This is 15 tube double-conversion superhet 160-10M ham band only receiver(circa 58 to 62). This has that great National "American-made" quality about it. It is a very sensitive receiver, has a great working Q-multiplier, but the most impressive attribute is how quiet it is; I compared this rig listening on 40M and it was almost as sensitive as a 51S1 but because it was much more quiet, I favored it; I next compared the 303 with my favorite rcvr: the R-9000; the R-9000 does so much of "not getting in the way of the signal"; the 303 was not as sensitive (nor nearly as selective)but was almost as quiet.This is a great find, a nice addition to my shack and I really enjoy using it. Would like to hear from anyone who has a 300 or 303 and has experience using/owning the VHF converters. Thanx for reading and the bandwidth.

N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2002 19:24 Send this review to a friend
The "Dream Receiver'  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was called the dream receiver by National. It is very good, except the filtering. Sensitive, good frequency dial design to find a frequency and not drifty. Some would rate this receiver a '5', all my reviews are based upon using more modern equipment.