Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Butternut HF6V Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut HF6V
Butternut HF6V Reviews: 87 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $522.95 USD
Description: 10,15,20,30,40,80,Vert.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/but-hf6v

You can write your own review of the Butternut HF6V.

AC8JU Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
complex but very effective.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used mine for a year or so and like it. This is a tinkerer's dream. Kinda tough to tune and keep tuned, but when it's set up right it's wonderful. You will need a good antenna analyzer to make that happen.
Rainwater will mess with the tuning until it dries, the 15 meter wire breaks easily, the 75 Ohm matching cable is needed for 20 meters but degrades the others. Mow away from the little Q coil at the bottom. The worst is the standard ground mounting tube. I never even tried it. I adapted it to a Hustler base and never looked back.
In the winter I convert mine to the hv2v configuration and use a 160 meter conversion coil ass'y. Gives me DX on 40, some of 80 and a tiny slice of 160. It spreads out a bit with a tuner, but then the DX can't hear me. No surprise.
My radial field is pretty good.
I also use a Hustler 5btv. The Butternut beats it easily on the low bands and curiously on 10, but the Hustler shines on 15 and 20 and is quite useable on 12 and 17 with a tuner.

VA3MVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2016 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great vertical. With 100W PEP, I work the world.

I tied it down with four guy wires, as per the maker's instructions. But the sleeve that connects the top of the top coil to the antenna kept sliding down under the guy wire pressure. My solution: drilled two holes right underneath that sleeve, and inserted a screw into both. That stops the sleeve from sliding down.

NZ4J Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2015 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but..  Time owned: more than 12 months
As cautioned by many, the antenna will work with the proper installation. Ground wires or, if elevated, a counterpoise system is required. Read the technical articles and understand what is needed to get it to perform. I installed at ground level and in another location, elevated at 10' - both with counterpoise/ground wires/etc. Tuning at that height is tricky - climbing on roof to adjust. A lot of climbing.

I live 1000' feet from the Atlantic ocean. I treated all the aluminum with "Alodine(r) Conversion Coating" - same stuff that is used for AC parts. I made sure that the aluminum-aluminum connections were raw aluminum. Added conductive grease and that has cured 99% of the corrosion issues for many years.

I just bought the 12M/17M add-on and will install this winter.

Complaints on the BW on 75/80 are a bit silly. Any vertical with high bandwidth/Q without re-tuning the antenna will likely not be an efficient radiator.

I cannot compare this antenna with the 43' verticals with tuners at the feed and counterpoise. That might be a simpler installation, for sure. The HF6V is not trivial in design.

Also, after many years, I replaced the two ceramic HV Caps. One developed a crack after 9 years.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2015 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just replaced the 8 year old HF6V at my remote site with a new one. The old one had been used on many IOTA expeditions and was suffering from wind damage and corrosion. IMHO these antennas are the best commercial all band verticals available. I have three of them and have used one of them with a ground rod in the past. It worked, but really perked up when I installed thirty 33 foot radials under it. They also work well with a few ungrounded radials in portable operation. This one is on a ridge about 80 feet above the prevailing ground level that slopes down to the Atlantic Ocean 1 km away. It tunes to low SWR on all bands except 12m where it works fine with an autotuner. I received this antenna quickly from DX Engineering, put it together and up in a day. Every part fit perfectly, all holes were perfectly aligned. Altogether a fine antenna and one that works very well.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2015 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Good Ant.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one for a year in S. Korea as HL9JT. There was no way I could put up radials, so I ran it without. Using 100 watts I worked all but 47 states.

K0FL Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Gotta know what your doing  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a good performer when placed over a radial system. No ground mounted vertical will perform like a yagi at 50ft but this antenna does as well as anything in its class. Take the time to educate yourself on verticals before buying this or any antenna and then take the time to put down as good a radial system as is practical at your location. With a radial system this antenna tunes up on each band just fine. I get a laugh when I read reviews saying how much experience they have or how long they've been a ham and then show how little they know. Anyone who doesn't know a vertical needs a counterpoise best stay with dipoles

KC7CJO Rating: 0/5 Sep 10, 2015 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our County Emergency Operations Center purchased this antenna (without consulting me) and I had to install it. I'm the Radio Tech for the County and have been a Ham since 1981, 20-year USAF retired, and with the County as their Radio Tech for 14 years, so I have a lot of experience with antennas and radio.

I followed the instructions to the letter (after I was able to interpret them).

By the way, the advertisement for this antenna says NO ground plane (counter poise) required!

BUT, the instructions says that a ground plane or counter poise "IS" required!

Which is it???

I then used an MFJ-259CM Analyzer to tune it, or at least get it close and only the 80 & 40 meter bands would tune within the band. NONE of the other bands would even come close.

AND, any previous setting was immediately screwed up with any subsequent adjustment to the next band.

I've spent more than 10 hours trying to get this antenna adjusted to work within its respective bands and it will NOT work! 10 meters, forget it! It is NOT resonant in any portion of that band!

If it weren't for the fact that we've had this thing more than a year, I'd send it back for a FULL refund!

N5LB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 17:25 Send this review to a friend
FB Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I resurrected it from my garage after having been stored for a few years. Cleaned it up and installed on the ground. Any vertical needs some degree of grounding and for this antenna radials are a good investment in performance. I put in 50 x 30 foot radials over the period of a year. It tunes as expected and works great in my HOA community.
I added the 1 and 17 meter coils. The 12 meter adjustment worked fine and achieved < 1.5:1. On 17 meters the best I could achieve was 3:1 but even with that the feedline loss is immaterial in my case.
It takes some maintenance and I track swr over time on all bands and sometimes have to readjust.
Rain does seem to change the tuning but it recovers afterwards. In any event the change is no issue.

KF0W Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Meh, it's "OK"  Time owned: more than 12 months
1st, it is too pricey for what you get. It doesn't perform very well without good ground radials, but those got chewed up by the lighting strike and I never replaced them. The design of the 15 meter wire is such that it breaks up at the top of the antenna whenever there is a strong or gusty wind that makes the antenna whip about. So I do not have 15 meters because it is a pain to disassemble and repair the 15 meter wire. It is good on the most used HF frequencies, 20, 30 and 40. 80 has a very limited useful range of frequencies. It makes a really good lightning rod so better keep your expensive radios unconnected to the antenna unless you are actually using it. Meh. If my HOA restrictions were more lax on antennae, I would get something else.

W6LQP Rating: 1/5 Jan 6, 2014 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Poor choice  Time owned: more than 12 months
While I have seen these antennas used short term in DX locations right on the ocean beaches, mine has corroded to the point that it is useless and LC networks are basically welded to the vertical element...worked great for a few months and then all bands went into the ditch...have cleaned and retuned and still cannot get system to work properly in-band with reasonable SWR...recommend that you consider enclosed trap vertical(as I should have) if you are near salt water environment...Counterpoise is a piece of junk for the price charged...buyers beware.