Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Butternut HF6V Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut HF6V
Butternut HF6V Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $522.95 USD
Description: 10,15,20,30,40,80,Vert.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/but-hf6v

You can write your own review of the Butternut HF6V.

NM2K Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2008 05:02 Send this review to a friend
An excellent antenna design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my HF6V in 1983, right after I obtained my General license. Not having much of a backyard in my in town lot, I decided to mount the HF6V's stand-offs (not provided) under my rain gutters. My house had steel siding which I would use as a counterpoise (worked well).

Fortunately, the roof to my backporch placed me within reaching distance of the standoffs, so mounting was not much of a problem. Holding the HF6V by yourself could be a problem during windy days, but I managed.

Eventually I bought the 160 kit and the 30 meter kit. The antenna worked fine on all bands, even 160 meters. CW on 160 meters with just 100 watts (Kenwood TS-430S) was terrific and I could work from Puerto Rico to Canada/Newfoundland and out past the Mississippi River from my southwestern NJ location (was N2ECW then).

I never did use an amp with the HF6V, but I really didn't need it unless I was going to talk on 75 phone. Still I did make quite a few contacts on 75 and 40 meter phone. 30 meter CW was great, as was 17 meter telephony/digital/CW.

Since then I have and am running "real" antennas such as a Van Gordan All Bander and several other types of wire antennas. Yes, the wire antennas outperform the HF6V. However, there were a few things that the HF6V did better than the wire antennas. You're right, DX. Not a problem with the HF6V.

In 84 we had a one week period of constant 60 mph winds with gusts to 85 mph. Sometimes I would look at the antenna and wonder if it would ever straighten out again. It did. This antenna is tough and you don't have to worry about guying it. The X or 9 versions might be a different matter entirely. I don't know. Never owned one.

I truly love the HF6V and I intend to put it back on the air ASAP, in addition to my two wire antennas. It's a keeper. As I said, I've had mine since 1984. I love it.

Ed, NM2K

K5BCQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2008 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Best Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is definitely designed by people who understand antennas. High Q Coils, full length, low SWR, etc. You DO have to have radials for optimuim performance. I have my antenna about 12ft off the ground with three multiband radials made from parallel #12 wires on 6" plastic pipe spacers. Works great.

You should also guy the antenna with monofilament to keep it from swaying too much in the wind (wears out the joints).

73 Kees K5BCQ

KE7GGZ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2008 09:09 Send this review to a friend
One Heck of an Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up one of these from a ham friend last year and mounted it on the side of my RV using a roller caster from the bottom of a large tool cabinet. I then removed the wheel and mounted a piece of round metal fence post where the wheel once stood. I then mounted the antenna inside the mast and bolted everything together...I can now rotate the antenna from the stored "Horizontal" position, to the Operational "Vertical" position in one minute flat. I wanted to be able to rotate it quickly in case of thunder storms and high winds here in Arizona....I do not use ground radials, but I have tried them, but do not see any difference, since my RV has a metal exterior...The farthest contact has been to the Island of Corsica, Mainland Italy, Portagul, The Cook Islands and The Horn of India! All on either 17 meters, or 20 meters! And I do not have the coil for the 17 meter band too top it off! I use the antenna tuner on my TS 440S and 100watts of power on solar and batteries!
I would like to try adding the 160 meter coil to my antenna, but I want to find out how well they work from other hams....So, has anyone used the 160 coil and how do you like it?
73's
KE7GGZ Dan

KB0R Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2008 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Steady Producer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a Butternut many years ago ~1990 and worked the world on 15M. Picked up a new HF6V a few years ago after my 10-15M quad bit the dust. Now at the bottom of the sunspot cycle I am having a blast working the world all over again on 40, and 30M.

In another year or two a new quad will go up but this vertical will remain.

Much better than a Cushcraft R7 I had for a few years.

73, Larry KB0R

W2BEE Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2007 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Butternut Gives Good Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Butternut HF6V used, from an ad on the ARRL web classifieds.

I had a problem with installation and assembly. An e-mail to Butternut and a quick response gave me super support & wonderful advice when I encountered an installation issue. THANKS BUTTERNUT!

In addition, I have found the antenna performs as expected. I operate it over 8 each 10 meter radials and 6 each 40 meter radials.

N0HR Rating: 3/5 Jul 10, 2007 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Guy it well and watch for ice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Butternut HF6V for about 7 years. It has served me well in that time. You can't expect it to beat a full size yagi on 20 in a DX pileup or even a high dipole on 40m. However, this antenna works better than some other similar products that I've been able to use. Performance will be about what you would expect and tuning will take some patience.

I've posted a full review on my website:

and I've got pictures of the damage to the antenna after an ice storm:

My bottom line is that if you are going to use this antenna in an environment with high winds then guy it well. If an ice storm is likely, then take it down (before the ice does). It's an expensive antenna to lose to a storm.

W4NLM Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2007 08:38 Send this review to a friend
an outstanding vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
a solid 5;it has been suggested that since i have the gulf of mexico as a ground, i could put up a wet noodle and get a 559 report from tokyo!!
i doube that, i do have a good ground
i have loaded the antenna on all bands, 160 to 6(the 160,6 meter kits must be purchased seperately), and, with the ant tuner, i can work the entire band. on dx, my reports are in the 559 range and most of the time, if i can hear um, i can work um.if one had the patience, he could tune the antenna to his tastes and get good service without a tuner.(i dont)i have a 600 watt amp, but, rarely go higher than 400 w since it isnt needed!)

73's

joe-w4nlm

VK6ARA Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2007 17:53 Send this review to a friend
High Performance Vertical !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a used HF6V 5 years ago. It has since been used in 4 different QTHs with good performance. I never was able to get 20m to tune properly and it was always resonant above the band.

I recently pulled the antenna down and gave it a full clean/service. I found that one joint had a higher than expected resistance due to oxidization in the joint. This was cleaned up and tested with an ohm meter. All other connections, Coils and Capacitors were fine.

I reinstalled the antenna back on the large metal A framed roof that serves as elevated radial system. The whole antenna had changed resonance and required a complete retune. Now, after tuning, the VSWR at resonance on all bands is down to 1.2 or less so in the centre of each band. I have 40Khz on 75M between the 2:1 points. 20M is now resonant in the centre of the band also with a 1.2 VSWR.

Performance is now excellent!! With 400W pep 5/9 reports are common place into Europe on 40M & 20M. 75M is also providing good signals for DX. 10/15M also provding 5/9 reports from JA and asia with 100 watts.

The HF6V is truly a high performance low angle radiator. Regional Signals on 80/40 from VK6 are well down (20-30db or more) compared to a low trapped 80/40 dipole as expected. However, to Europe on 40M in the morning, the HF6V is 2-3 S points up on the dipole due to the low angle of the signals.

This Antenna is probably 8 years old and with a bit of Maintainance still provides a very competitve DX signal.

You can see pics of my Installation on the Butternut group on yahoogroups.com.

73 & Good DX.
Andrew VK6ARA
Perth, Australia.

W1NR Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2007 15:55 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a number of verticals and this stands on the top. Have had this one for 15 years and only had to replace the 75 ohm line this past fall. It is mounted on my roof roughly 40' from the ground using the STR-II stub tuned radial kit and seperate radials for 30m. I don't use it for 80 because the bandwidth is so narrow and I have a remote tuned inverted V instead. You MUST read the articles about ground systems on the bencher WEB site to appreciate their importance, especially with this antenna. If you have a proper radial system this antenna really plays wellOnly complaint is with the STR-II. The connections are fragile and will eventually break from whipping around in the wind. I solved this by taping them to fishing line and using the line to tension them rather than the twin lead itself. I will probably add on the 17/12M kit in the spring.

WA2MGB Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2006 20:44 Send this review to a friend
I love my BUTTERNUT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
have an HF6-V which I purchased used. Included in the sale was the 160m optional coil. Though I found the instructions for assembly a little confusing, some help from a good friend had her up in no time. I HIGHLY recommend you use something like the MFJ-259 antenna analyzer to set your coils...it saves an aweful lot of running around. Performance wise: I couldn't be happier, as per the design of the vertical is it not the best for short range communications. However, when working DX it's a dream. I am fortunate to live directly on a body of saltwater... For DX it outperforms my 20m dipole. For 75m work, sometimes it outperforms my 80m dipole, other time, the dipole wins out....again depending on distance. I also live in a high wide area facing a bay. I added just two lightweight guy wires. (nylon lines) above the coils. She has survived horrible windstorms and a nor'eastern. Yes, the upper portion will swing and sway like a willow tree.....but it will still be there in the morning. A great bargain for someone wanting to cover 160m-10m.
Paid: 150. used.