Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-897 & 897D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-897 & 897D
Yaesu FT-897 & 897D Reviews: 378 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1049.95
Description: It is the world's first multi-mode high-power base/mobile transceiver designed to fitted with internal batteries (optional) for portable use. The coverage is HF 160 to 10 meters plus 50/144/430 MHz VHF/UHF. Receive is 0.1-56, 76-108, 118-164 and 420-470 MHz. 7.9x3.2x10.3 inches (200x80x263 mm).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft897.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-897 & 897D.

KB2CPW Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2017 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months

I've had the mobile version FT-857 and D models since their release. Beside the bigger display and larger case of the 897 plus the battery/power supply option, they are essentially the same. I recently acquired an 897 and right away I felt I was "back behind the wheel" of my 857.
I find for the price, you can't beat the receiver, transmitter and features. Nothing on it is stellar, nothing jumps out as far ahead of the competition, but the radio is a solid performer.
Good audio, good clean RX, very good dsp features. For the price it can't be beat. I know they stopped making them, but if you're a new ham, a budget minded ham, prepper, camper, portable op or confined to a small shack, this rig is a no brainer.
Having owned the variant, I find myself drawn back to this platform over and over. Like I said, nothing on it is breathtaking. But everything such as features, size, quality etc.. is good or better than good. The radio is as close to perfect as an "all in one" can get when considering the above mentioned clientele.
As far as issues with these, make sure no one messed with the sub menu, the radio is in good working order and was not abused. There are lots of options for it, and a large following of users who can point you in the right direction if you have any questions.
I will add this, there is a reviewer down the page who complained about the menu. If you can't grasp this radios menu, you have no business owning a modern radio. By far the menu system is one of the easiest to navigate and figure out. Icom otoh uses advanced calculus to program is what should be easy. I guess the icom people are laughing at me with that comment , but coming from the easy Yaesu menu to my 7000 and 7100, I found the Yaesu easier to set up.
Almost all of the buttons have the ability to bring you to the adjustments rather easily, i.e.. hit the function key, twirl the menu select knob to the desired function and to adjust it simply hold down the desired key and the 897 will take you right into the adjustment menu for that function. Easy!!

Anyway, a great radio. Lots of useful features, lots of add on accessories, lots of fun..

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2017 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for just the right number of reasons  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I stumbled upon an 897 at the last ham fest I attended. My purpose was for this 897 was to use it as the digital rig, which would be attached to Tiger Tronics equipment. After setting this up for digital modes, I found it was extremely easy to use the 897, and the larger knobs or more friendly and welcoming.

It was really nice to have a familiar menu, meaning the 897 and the 857Ďs menu are almost identical. After using the 897 for 5 months, I can say that Iím ready to sell my base rig.

The filter is available for it or very good. So whether using voice or CW, I can always bring the noise floor down enough.

I would recommend this to a friend, and I am going to buy another one for my office.

SM6VYM Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Great little RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this 897 since a couple of years and I have tested it in my schack A-B to my TS-590SG. (i.e.HF)

Ok, there is some difference but not much. The 897 is pretty close to the 590 in sensitivity and selectivity...to my ears anyway...so perhaps I have DSP between them...hi.

Today to many is blinded by theoretical values in radios that has little or non relevance in practical use. Ergonomics is another issue thoe. 897 as all of itīs kind, they are an orgie in menus...

In plain english the T-897D is ALOT of radio for not so many dollars.

I have a INRAD 500Hz CW and the FP-30 internal PS mounted, work great.

ON4KVK Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Will never sell it !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works excellent (FT897D) with the LDG AT897 and signalink USB external sound card for digital modes. Considered to sell it, but will never do it. It remains as my "back-up" transmitter, as I'm considering a more recent HF transmitter as "main" unit. Although no pressure, the 897D is still performing excellent.

M3YTU Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2017 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tranciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After acquiring one of these as "spares and repairs" I set about fixing the damage done.
Upon receiving the radio it was oblivious it had been fiddled with, a adventurous "expert" had been inside the radio and fiddled with the service menu changing settings which they obviously had no idea what they did and the poor radio would only do 50w max, also the signal meter was way out and the data port was blown, also the ssb carrier point was way out on both modes and needed realignment.
Well after 24hrs she is now running great with excellent radio reports and a max power of 120w.
This radio shines, after using Icoms for years I am now a Yaesu convert at least on this one, the receive is far superior to my Icom 7000 and has better audio quality without that horrible Dalek effect, the noise floor is low and the DSP is excellent, the screen is excellent for its size and the ability to change the display colour is a nice touch. Well done Yaesu, this ones a keeper

WB6FQZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2017 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 897D off of EBay and am pleased with it so far.This is the rig I should have bought when I acquired an FT-817. I like the 817 but 5 watts just doesn't cut it most of the time. The 897 has the ability to install 2 ea. 4500MAH batteries but they are expensive. Good generic ones are available on Amazon for half price.I only have 2 negatives. Number 1 is the AGC. If you turn it off the received signals are distorted.The other is the noisy receiver. the plus side is it is built VERY well. It's obvious it was designed for portable use and that is my intended use. It is a very versatile rig of high quality.

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2017 02:39 Send this review to a friend
A good package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned an Icom IC7400 for more than 10 years. It is a decent transceiver with sharp digital filters but when I purchased an FT897d shortly after, the thing that striked me time and again was the ďDSP noiseĒ the IC7400 produced in comparison with the FT897d which is an pure analog transceiver.

The FT897d has a much more quiet receiver because of that.
(Please do not call a receiver noisy (or not) because of a different AF bandwidth setting or a different speaker.)

You can do a test: disconnect the antenna from the FT897d and the receiver noise disappears.
Do the same thing with the IC7400 with the same antenna and the noise remains.

On top of that, the receiver of the FT897d is strikingly more sensitive than that of the IC7400.

After numerous side by side tests, I finally decided to sell the IC7400.

Despite the older analog concept and AF DSP, the receiver experience of the FT897d is much more enjoyable.
Hours on end of 40m ARRL DX CW contesting on 40m at night is not fatiguing at all.
Signals neatly pop up one next to the other. The DSP is AF but in combination with a CW filter, it does a far better job than many IF DSPís.
Use the IPO. Itís not an attenuator, itís a preamplifier on top of an already sensitive receiver.
Itís only needed on the high bands.

I realize that the FT897d will probably score lower on the Sherwood table, but in practice its specs are more than adequate, even in a contest.
Even on the low bands if you use the IPO and ATT features the way they were designed for. Iíll chose it against an IC7400 any day. Itís just a better overall package.

G4REK Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my FT897d for a long time now..really nice radio....with the mod 2+ its like a signal generator
rugged as well SWR indicator if one does something silly ....use mine with a Z11 PRO AUTO TUNER ......

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2016 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Almost 10 years old !  Time owned: more than 12 months
9 years ago I went to Dayton Ohio first time i went hamfest in Dayton Ohio , I stop by at HRO booth !

I been saved up my money for a nice 897D , So i could take with me at field day !

It is awesome Rig since i bought it back 2007 and I put in a 500hz CW filter in this rig !

I'm still gave it a 5 stars ! for my best radio ever owned !!

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming since 2001

KA0SCM Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2015 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad choice...but....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned several 897's ... the last one being the "D" model. I enjoyed the portability of the rig...but there were several things I think could have been improved. The first...the menu structure. I thought it was too difficult to navigate through the menu levels to change some things that should have been easy to change. Second...and maybe the thing that bothered me the most was receiver noise...the noise floor was very high....even my trusty old Kenwood TS-430S has a much quieter receiver than the 897...and its just as sensitive. Listening to the background hiss was an irritation...not good for extended listening periods. And I think the display could have been a little larger. Those things aside its a decent performer, not great. I am hoping Yaesu addresses these issues with their next incarnation of this transceiver. I realize its a small Swiss army knife radio in a box...but it could have been better.