Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-897 & 897D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-897 & 897D
Yaesu FT-897 & 897D Reviews: 375 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1049.95
Description: It is the world's first multi-mode high-power base/mobile transceiver designed to fitted with internal batteries (optional) for portable use. The coverage is HF 160 to 10 meters plus 50/144/430 MHz VHF/UHF. Receive is 0.1-56, 76-108, 118-164 and 420-470 MHz. 7.9x3.2x10.3 inches (200x80x263 mm).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft897.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-897 & 897D.

ON4KVK Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Will never sell it !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works excellent (FT897D) with the LDG AT897 and signalink USB external sound card for digital modes. Considered to sell it, but will never do it. It remains as my "back-up" transmitter, as I'm considering a more recent HF transmitter as "main" unit. Although no pressure, the 897D is still performing excellent.

M3YTU Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2017 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tranciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After acquiring one of these as "spares and repairs" I set about fixing the damage done.
Upon receiving the radio it was oblivious it had been fiddled with, a adventurous "expert" had been inside the radio and fiddled with the service menu changing settings which they obviously had no idea what they did and the poor radio would only do 50w max, also the signal meter was way out and the data port was blown, also the ssb carrier point was way out on both modes and needed realignment.
Well after 24hrs she is now running great with excellent radio reports and a max power of 120w.
This radio shines, after using Icoms for years I am now a Yaesu convert at least on this one, the receive is far superior to my Icom 7000 and has better audio quality without that horrible Dalek effect, the noise floor is low and the DSP is excellent, the screen is excellent for its size and the ability to change the display colour is a nice touch. Well done Yaesu, this ones a keeper

WB6FQZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2017 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 897D off of EBay and am pleased with it so far.This is the rig I should have bought when I acquired an FT-817. I like the 817 but 5 watts just doesn't cut it most of the time. The 897 has the ability to install 2 ea. 4500MAH batteries but they are expensive. Good generic ones are available on Amazon for half price.I only have 2 negatives. Number 1 is the AGC. If you turn it off the received signals are distorted.The other is the noisy receiver. the plus side is it is built VERY well. It's obvious it was designed for portable use and that is my intended use. It is a very versatile rig of high quality.

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2017 02:39 Send this review to a friend
A good package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned an Icom IC7400 for more than 10 years. It is a decent transceiver with sharp digital filters but when I purchased an FT897d shortly after, the thing that striked me time and again was the ďDSP noiseĒ the IC7400 produced in comparison with the FT897d which is an pure analog transceiver.

The FT897d has a much more quiet receiver because of that.
(Please do not call a receiver noisy (or not) because of a different AF bandwidth setting or a different speaker.)

You can do a test: disconnect the antenna from the FT897d and the receiver noise disappears.
Do the same thing with the IC7400 with the same antenna and the noise remains.

On top of that, the receiver of the FT897d is strikingly more sensitive than that of the IC7400.

After numerous side by side tests, I finally decided to sell the IC7400.

Despite the older analog concept and AF DSP, the receiver experience of the FT897d is much more enjoyable.
Hours on end of 40m ARRL DX CW contesting on 40m at night is not fatiguing at all.
Signals neatly pop up one next to the other. The DSP is AF but in combination with a CW filter, it does a far better job than many IF DSPís.
Use the IPO. Itís not an attenuator, itís a preamplifier on top of an already sensitive receiver.
Itís only needed on the high bands.

I realize that the FT897d will probably score lower on the Sherwood table, but in practice its specs are more than adequate, even in a contest.
Even on the low bands if you use the IPO and ATT features the way they were designed for. Iíll chose it against an IC7400 any day. Itís just a better overall package.

G4REK Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my FT897d for a long time now..really nice radio....with the mod 2+ its like a signal generator
rugged as well SWR indicator if one does something silly ....use mine with a Z11 PRO AUTO TUNER ......

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2016 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Almost 10 years old !  Time owned: more than 12 months
9 years ago I went to Dayton Ohio first time i went hamfest in Dayton Ohio , I stop by at HRO booth !

I been saved up my money for a nice 897D , So i could take with me at field day !

It is awesome Rig since i bought it back 2007 and I put in a 500hz CW filter in this rig !

I'm still gave it a 5 stars ! for my best radio ever owned !!

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming since 2001

KA0SCM Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2015 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad choice...but....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned several 897's ... the last one being the "D" model. I enjoyed the portability of the rig...but there were several things I think could have been improved. The first...the menu structure. I thought it was too difficult to navigate through the menu levels to change some things that should have been easy to change. Second...and maybe the thing that bothered me the most was receiver noise...the noise floor was very high....even my trusty old Kenwood TS-430S has a much quieter receiver than the 897...and its just as sensitive. Listening to the background hiss was an irritation...not good for extended listening periods. And I think the display could have been a little larger. Those things aside its a decent performer, not great. I am hoping Yaesu addresses these issues with their next incarnation of this transceiver. I realize its a small Swiss army knife radio in a box...but it could have been better.

PA9H Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2015 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Versatile!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own my FT-897 for 7 years now. It's versatile, rugged and very handy going mobile with built in batteries. Ofcourse the TX power is reduced working the batteries. So far it's a good rig but it's definately not living without problems. The well known problem with DC on the filters hit my rig as well, ending it up producing unreadable audio on VHF and UHF. Having it repaired, another time the S-meter went "bad hearing". It appeared that the front end went unsensitive for some reason. And however it's fixed, the accuracy of the S-meter is very poor. Only above S4, the reading is correct. Below S4 ithe bargraph quickly drops to zero. Further more sudden tribo electricity on the GP antenna blew out the front end of the VHF/UHF stage.
There it went again to the repair shop. As the FT-897 really does everything you can dream of, it is a nice transceiver. Because of its small dimensions it is the perfect take away for holidays. Like other reviews mention, this rig is lacking TRX power. It simply does not meets it's specifications. On the other hand, who cares? As other HAM's mention, the FT-897 is in fact the same as the FT-857. Same Rig in a different box. The benefit of this is that button's are easier to operate. The 6,3 mm audio jack is really a benefit in comparison to the small audio jack on the 857! As the FT-897 does so many things and it really can't have a separate knob for each adjustment, you have to put up with the menu's. Like it or not, it's the only way to achieve such a versatile transceiver in such a small box. Yeasu did a good job. A good rig for a fair price. You better consider to have one.

VE3CNX Rating: 3/5 Aug 7, 2015 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Not bad but useless NB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my FT897D new in 2004. It had many good points and some not so good, but only one (1) ugly point, which totally soured me on it:
The Good:
1) Rugged construction Case was military tough
2) Good control knobs
3) Menu was typical of shack in the box mobiles
4) RX and TX was excellent - Good RX, no intermod and full output
5) Ease of use -
The Bad:
1) Accessories were expensive - Auto Tune, batteries, power supply
The Ugly!
1) The NB was totally useless. For a rig that is intended to be used portable, and presumably mobile as well, the NB simply did nothing. When exposed to any pulse noise, the NB would not no much as touch it.
I am a dedicated "Yaesu" man, but this one went on a trade for a FT1000MP Mark V - which of course cannot be compared with the FT897D - but is simply the best HF rig I have owned. (I have three of them, as well as FT1000D, FT1000MP, Kenwood 950SDX, Icom 756 Pro III and others).
For portable use I went with an ICOM 746Pro - which proved to be an excelent choice. I am now awaiting delivery of an ICOM 706MkIIG for mobile use. Will write a review to compare with FT897D after I test sufficiently.

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2015 16:48 Send this review to a friend