Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | M2 KT34 Help

Reviews Summary for M2 KT34
M2 KT34 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,209
Description: 4 el tribander 20-10m
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 KT34.

KB7AZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I selected the M2 KT34M2 because it had no traps and had good gain and front-to-back ratio specifications. The antenna is a solid performer. If I hear a weak station that is off the side and rotate the antenna, the weak station comes right up. With the antenna between 36 and 50 feet (11 to 15 meters) high I routinely work Europe and Australia with 100 watts and consistently receive 5x8 and 5x9 reports on all three bands. The antenna performance exceeds my expectations. The VSWR is higher on the CW portion of 15 meters than everywhere else, but the FT-950 and AL-811H have no trouble tuning it. I give the KT34 M2 a score of 5 because it is a solid performer, I like the antenna, and have no complaints.

The antenna came in one 8-foot long box and contained all of the parts needed to assemble the antenna with a few spare nuts and bolts. The NC machined aluminum parts are almost works of art, and the machined parts fit perfectly over the tubing. I assembled the antenna elements and measured everything very carefully. The assembly manual is clear and the diagrams show exactly where to measure everything. The 18-foot (4.9 m) long 3-inch (7.6 cm) diameter boom consists of two 8-foot sections and one two-foot section and is very stiff. The manual calls for the assembler to put a dab of Penetrox on all stainless steel screws. This is important. The stainless steel hardware will seize if you donít use the Penetrox. I had to take a few screws out that I did not use Penetrox on and ended up breaking two of them because the screws seized in the nuts.

I painted mine so I took it to a metal plating company and had it chem-filmed (Alodined) so the paint would stick long-term. After assembling the complete antenna I masked the insulators and painted it using Rust-oleum primer and gray spray paint. After hoisting the antenna up the tower and checking it with an AIM 4130 antenna analyzer, I concluded that the paint did not degrade the performance, which is what I expected.

I would definitely recommend the KT34M2 to someone who wanted a tri-band antenna with good performance.

W6AAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2009 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this antenna on the tower yesterday at 36 feet. The SWR on 15 and 20 is broad and 1.2:1. 10m on the other hand has a 1.5:1 which is well within the specs and workable. Would love to see it lower. The antenna is built like a tank! There are a lot of parts and measurements to this antenna. I took my time and completed the assembly within 4 days keeping in mind I have other house hold duties to tend to. The key is taking your time and read the instructions many times before starting the assembly and pay close attention when you do assemble. The following morning I worked Europe with 100 watts receiving 59+ reports and the band was not in the greatest shape. Bit pricy as others have stated, but you get what you pay for. Great antenna.

N3EON Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2007 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Dependable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I looked at a lot of small to medium size tribanders before deciding on the KT34 by M2, which is the new and improved version of the now defunct KLM KT34A. This antenna is pricey and comes with many parts that will take considerable time to build. Careful attention to dimensions is the key to getting it right the first time. Fortunately, I worked with an experienced ham who knew his way around these antennas. The beam has 4 active elements on 10, 15 and 20 meters. It is very broadbanded and my SWR is well within specs even at 40 feet. I previously owned a Cushcraft A3S and a small Optibeam. Evaluating antenna performance in poor conditions is not easy, but I can certainly say it puts out a very competitive signal. It has a robust 3" boom and solid construction. This is an excellent antenna for those looking for a dependable workhorse that should give you years of enjoyment.

IK4PKN Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 14:05 Send this review to a friend
The best buy!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was on freq for 2 years with my optibeam 11-3
but i receive 2-3 point smeter minus Vs my ham friend that use a klm kt34 ..very near to my station..and in a march 2007 i buy this m2 kt34..
now i listen the same signal :-)
Thanks to M2
Paolo ik4pkn

K6JMH Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2003 01:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna for over 12 months at my home qth set at 33 ft. on a tower. Using only 100 watts, I consistently get 59+ reports from most stations. Almost always am heard quickly in the pileups. I'm hearing and working stations I never heard with lesser antennas
Strong and well built with the machined shorting bars and boom to mast clamps, this antenna has rekindled my interest in the HF bands.
This antenna is by far the most intricate antenna assembly I have attempted, but by reading the manual a few times, I was able to get it put together correctly the first time!
Kudos to the gang at M2 !!