Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood SP940 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SP940
Kenwood SP940 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $??
Description: Was the top end "Brown" matching speaker for the Kenwood TS940. Includes 2 hicut filters and a low cut filter, and dual spring terminal inputs.
More info: http://www.kenwood.net

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SP940.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Dual input. Great Sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker was included with the TS-870 I bought (both used). The sound is very good and I like that I can connect two different radios and select either one. The filtes have a noticable effect and can be used to taylor the audio to your desire.

AKSWL Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2009 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Follow-up to my previous review. After opening up this speaker to replace the original very inexpensive Kenwood speaker with a 8.6 oz magnet, 10 watt power rated speaker with a frequency response of 50 Hz to 8 KHz. I found sound dampening material consisting of a perforated Styrofoam panel inside (original Kenwood installation) and the back inside panel is padded. So these two added features increase the overall quality of this great speaker.

W7KNZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2009 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Decent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This speaker is actually pretty decent. I bought one off ebay over a year ago for my Kenwood TS-2000,to replace the Kenwood SP-23 that I was using. The SP-23 works great on my Yaesu FT-7800R dual band mobile that I use in the shack,but the SP-23 just was not cutting it for the TS-2000. Liked the SP-940 so much I bought another one about 4 months ago off ebay to use with my Kenwood TS-570S that I use for 6 meters. If you should run across one of these SP-940 speakers,I dont think you will regret picking it up.
73 W7KNZ

QUANMER Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2007 06:21 Send this review to a friend
much better than SP-23  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this speaker works!
I had the newest SP-23 to serve my TS-480SAT. However, the small SP-23 can not up to the job. I after find a used SP-940 from E-Bay.

Evan at only 1w (same as SP-23), the SP-940 sounds much BIGGER than the SP-23. And the filter button does work, especially the HIGH2 button which cut the frequenct @ 1.2kHz.

In addition, the old stuff has better shield from computer & computer speakers. SP-23 just failed to this aspect!

HC2S Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2006 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one to match my TS-940, the filters works ok, but some distortion in mid volume, so I fill the speaker inside with Acousta-Stuf fiber that is specially recommended to fill powered subwoofer enclosures then the result its amazing, try with the fiber inside.

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2006 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great speaker. I wish the sp-23 sounded as good.

W0DKM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2005 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice speaker, looks Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine to match the TS940S. I would guess it's 18 yrs old or so. Filters work ok but I do not use them. It was a bit tinny. So I opened it up. The speaker was kenwood with a small magnet. I replaced with a speaker from Radio Shack. It had a larger magnet, a wider range, and bolted up perfect. Now she's a GEM!

N1RSR Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2002 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Decent speaker, -most- of the time.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a matching speaker that goes along with the "brown" kenwood color scheme. Decent audio, however, my particular speaker at least seemed to suffer from strange resonances; i.e. the cabinet would vibrate on certain sounds, that sort of thing. I was able to somewhat alleviate the problem by moving the foam baffle around in the back, but never could eliminate it completely. The audio filters decent, for things like cutting down the effect of AF amp hiss.