Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Van Gorden Engineering Help

Reviews Summary for Van Gorden Engineering
Van Gorden Engineering Reviews: 26 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $$14.99
Description: HI-Q Balun 1:1 and 4:1

You can write your own review of the Van Gorden Engineering.

N4KWO Rating: 2/5 Oct 9, 2009 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Don't trust the markings on the outside!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My father gave me a 10 year old Van Gorden 1:1 balun that had not been used. Well it was marked as a 1:1 balun but got suspicious after putting up a 40 meter dipole and couldn't get the SWR near 2:1 no matter how much trimming I did to the dipole. I picked up a MFJ-259 analyzer recently and decided to test the balun as one of my first uses. After putting a 50 ohm load on it, I could not get the SWR below 2.5 at any frequency. Putting a 200 ohm load on it showed SWRs below 1.5 from 4 to 15 Mhz. Looks like a 4:1 that not very broad banded. SWR over 2 at 80 meters and around 3 at 10 meters. Something to keep in mind for those who still one of these baluns in your junk box.

K9FON Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2008 15:56 Send this review to a friend
A bear to solder  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works but man, what a beast to solder the wires to the lugs! I almost melted the PVC from trying to solder the lugs!

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2008 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Very good for just $15  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this 4:1 balun after purchased it new 5 years ago and I built a homemade OCF dipole cut for 40M,swr is like this:
40M...........3 to 1
20M...........1.2 to 1
17M...........2.8
15M...........2.5
12M...........2.5
10M...........1.2
As you all know,high swr means heat inside the balun,but even using 1300W from a SB-220 for years,this OCF antenna never had any problem,tuned it with an ATR-30 and never saw the flat match changed at high power.The balun is well designed,it holds the power pretty good,only mod I did to it was a small hole underneath for drying out inside humidity.I will recomend anyone this balun,its low price and IT WORKS.
Hector
AD4C

K9AUB Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2008 20:49 Send this review to a friend
A Decent Balun!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a brand new Van Gordon 4:1 balun and put it in a home constructed Carolina Windom. From the light weight in my hand, I really wasn't expecting the balun to hold up for very long. However, I've had it up for about a year now, and it has performed very nicely. The Carolina Windom gives various SWR's on each band, creating the possibility of high voltages (and heat!) inside the balun, but so far, so good. I've run it at the 1 KW level CW and SSB, and 600 watts AM phone. No problems. I ran the pants off it in the ARRL DX Contests, both CW and SSB. It held up OK. I'd have to say it's never going to compete with the DX Engineering baluns, but it's good value for the money and gives good service. I would buy it again.

W8WTS Rating: 1/5 Oct 8, 2007 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Not a recommended product.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had trouble using the VanGorden Hi-Q 1:1 balun with dipole antennas in two aspects.

(1) The calculated resonant wire length is significantly different from the length trimmed to minimum SWR, and

(2) The best impedance match possible by trimming, as indicated by minimum SWR, is unacceptably high compared to the calculated SWR caused by antenna feed point to coax impedance mismatch.

To investigate, I connected the coax end of the VGE balun to a lab 50 ohm termination and measured the impedance from the antenna end of the balun.

RL = 50
SWR = 1
1.8 3.1 37 22.6 29.3
3.5 1.9 50 41.2 28.3
7.0 1.4 55 52.3 17.1
14.0 1.2 54 53.3 -8.8
21.0 1.3 48 46.4 -12.2
28.0 1.5 42 39.4 14.7

The measurements show that the VGE balun provides a poor impedance match on 1.8, 3.5 and 28 MHz. On 7 through 21 MHZ, the impedance match may be acceptable, but the VGE balun adds significant reactance. This explains observation (1), where the antenna must be trimmed off of resonance to present a reactance that cancels the reactance added to the circuit by the balun.

The same measurements were repeated using 25 ohm and 100 ohm terminations. The calculated SWR is 2:1 for both cases.

RL = 100

7.0 2.5 32 24.3 20.8
14.0 2.4 42 30.3 29.1
21.0 2.5 55 38.1 39.7
28.0 2.4 71 53.5 46.6

These measurements show that the VGE balun does not provide an accurate impedance match when the SWR is 2:1 in either the high or low impedance direction, in addition to adding significant reactance to the circuit. This result, combined with the 50 ohm data, explains why antennas trimmed to minimum SWR, where the antenna provides the reactance that cancels the balun reactance, present incorrect SWR. Even with the balun reactance cancelled by the antenna feed point reactance, the resistive match is not accurate, thus the minimum SWR is higher than expected.

I recommend the used of ferrite sleeve type choke baluns (the so-called W2DU style) instead of this product.

W8WLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellant product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the 4:1 balun for years. My last application of it was with a OCF dipole cut for 80 meters. I ran up to legal limit through it and never had a problem. For the price this is one of the best kept secrets in ham radio. Right now the balun is setting in my shack closet waiting for the arctic weather to break and be put back into service with the OCF. Van Gordon keep up the great work

KD7YMR Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2007 23:37 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Folks,
I bought my Hi-Q 1.1 several years ago, and still have to see it fail. Living in Oregon, the weather is rather damp, and pretty mild most of the year, even though it some times gets over 100 during the summer, this little guy seems to hold the fort down. I've ran 20, 15 and 10 meter through it, up to the permissible limit with no issues.

I suppose I got one of the "Tuesday models"? =)

Anyway, reading through this list of people and seeing their gripes over one or two particular issues they've had with theirs, I offer a couple of suggestions:
1. When you go to solder the wires to this balun, tin the fitting and the wire first. This makes it so very much easier. Also, use a heavy duty soldering gun, not a torch. . . The case is plastic, OK? And if you use a torch or a small soldering iron, the torch will burn it and the small iron takes too long, allowing the heat to run into the insides and melt the plastic. You want quick heat, and you want it "Now! Right Here!", on the point of connection, no where else.

2. The other thing is, well folks, again it's "Plastic". It's not meant to support a great deal of weight, and in doing so, can cause the PVC to fail under extreme loads and weather conditions, heat, cold, high winds, falling trees, kids with slingshots. . . Its tough, but hey it's still, . . PLASTIC.

If you have a water problem and want to try and drill a hole in it, make sure the hole is at least 1/4 inch, otherwise it won't drain worth a darn. And if you do, cut a small piece off of a "No Pest Strip" and poke it up into the hole you drilled at the bottom of the Balun.. . `Keeps the bugs out forever. <- good thing to remember for out-doors applications.

You have to remember that you only get what you pay for, and that there's no free lunch. Being such, this Hi-Q Balun is still under $20, it's one heck of a good deal!

DD4DA Rating: 1/5 Jan 13, 2007 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Balun .repaired easy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought this kinda 1:1 Current balun a couple of years ago and used them at the lst few weeks in combination with my Inv.Vee. for 80m upto 20m Band with a about 1KW PA. Well, the balun has failed after a little bit water comes inside. The isulation (looks like PTFE) of the used wire for the trifilar coil is failed particular so sparks between the wires if the power is upper that 200 Watts, destroys the balun wire further.
My advantage is that the ALPIN100 PA goes offline or switched off if the antenna environment is to bad.
The BALUN is easy repaired because it's it build by just 3 wires (AGW14 or thicker) with 88cm length, wounded on a 26mm diameter and 65mm length PVC-pipe. This is all...
vy 73 de Gerd

W3FM Rating: 0/5 Dec 16, 2006 12:46 Send this review to a friend
BAD NEWS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the 1:1 balun up at 90'for my 160-40-30m inverted vee dipole. Having had two of them fail I took one apart to see what the problem was. I was greeted by a live spider and his beautiful little nest. I have placed an order with The Wireman for a W2DU Type balun rated for 6 Kw 10 to 160m [I run 1.5 Kw]

KK5GD Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2006 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two 1:1 Baluns over the past ten years. The first I thought was shorted or full of water due to a high VSWR. I cut it open and found nothing wrong; turned out to be that my Collins was way out of calibration. The second I still own and works great. I will say it was hard to get the solder to flow on the terminal lugs. I used plenty of flux on the second one and had very little trouble. I still use it when I need to throw up a quick wire dipole or inverted "v" and when I go camping.

I did meet someone who said thier's filled with water. If I ever shake mine and suspect water; I think I try drilling a drain hole.