Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Van Gorden Engineering Help

Reviews Summary for Van Gorden Engineering
Van Gorden Engineering Reviews: 26 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $$14.99
Description: HI-Q Balun 1:1 and 4:1

You can write your own review of the Van Gorden Engineering.

W7AK Rating: 0/5 Apr 22, 2006 21:13 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I JUST PURCHASED 1 TO 1 BALON - HOOKED IT UP
TO A 100 FT OF RG8U STARTED PULLING IT UP ABOUT 60 FOOT LEVEL AND DOWN IT CAME WITH THE TOP HOOK
COMPLETELY STRAIT, GREAT QUAILITY STEEL,
THEN I THREW IT INTO THE GARBAGE CAN. JUNK

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2006 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Served me well also  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had their 4:1 balun since 2000 with no problems. I used it on a homebrew G5RV type with 300ohm twinlead (Radio Shack) running into it, and 75ohm RG11 coming out. Never run more than 100 watts into it, but no problems whatsoever. No problems soldering the twinlead wires to the terminals. It has been outside the whole time and just keeps going and going. Recently worked FO/HA9G on 80 and 3Y0X on 30 with this setup.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2006 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Served me very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built a multiband fanned dipole (not a true fan dipole as we're talking different legs covering different bands) with legs for 80/17/12, 40/15, and 20 from a common feedpoint which was a 1:1 Hi-Q Balun. I ran no more than 125W at any time through it and I did use a tuner with it and did operate it on 10m and 30m where there was no leg which was anywhere near resonance. I never had a problem and it was up for a few years at my old QTH in North Carolina. I got out very well indeed. It's a good product.

WA6HZX Rating: 1/5 May 25, 2005 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Soldering Problems on 1:1 Balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I attempted to solder my copper, muli-strand copper antenna wire to the two lugs on the balun and found it virtually impossible to get the solder to flow. Applying additional solder gun heat only worsened the problem as it melted the balun case plastic and accordingly, loosened the attachment hardware. This is the second Van Gorden antenna center conducter product I've purchased with the same soldering problem and I will not buy another. They need to build a better mousetrap!

WM5L Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2004 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Preformance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have run a kw into 3 of the 1:1 versions for 5 years now. 80m,40m v's and a Force 12 C4. Have had no problems with water leaking,heating or soldering wire to them as some have mentioned here. I do NOT use a tuner.

ASTROHAM Rating: 1/5 Oct 3, 2004 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it because it was the only brand stocked by my local ham dealer. Even though I am both skilled and formally trained in soldering techniques, it was virtually impossible to solder wires to the lug without melting the PVC and subsequently loosening the input hardware. The instructions say not to loosen or disassemble the hardware, so this unit voids its own warrantee as it is being commissioned. The unit is in service as an inverted vee right now but does not provide better than 1.5 SWR anywhere on the band. Will order a better unit from mail order and toss this one on the next antenna campaign (which should be before winter hits).

W6TH Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2004 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Passing The Test A+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the 4:1 balun and used it with a six foot of RG 8X through the window frame to the balun and then to the 450 ohm ladder feed line to a center fed zepp. Ran the 600 watts through it and worked very well with no noticeable heatng on CW. I mentioned previously I would buy this balun and try it for test results and found my article is no longer listed here. I noticed that my 3KW tuner, tuned much sharper with the use of the balun as compared to not having the balun. Also, I was able to tune to the 30 meter band which was not possible before. A good balun for the price and now will put it on eBAY for another person to try and use at a much lower price.

.: W6TH

KB0GU Rating: 0/5 Sep 29, 2003 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Never Again  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased one of the 1:1 types and am very dissappointed! Was up on my beam antenna only a few months when SWR shot high on all three bands. Spent the better part of several days isolating the problem. When taken down and hacksawed apart here is what I found. Full of water, coil is enamled small guage wire wrapped on a smaller diameter piece of PVC tube inside. I admit I did solder the connections to the provided lugs and I did not seal around where the hardware entered the unit. So if you are going to use one of these make sure you don't solder to the provided lug as the heat affects the seal and connectivity inside. And make sure you seal around all connections in and out as well as the hanging hardware eye hook. I did have coax seal on the coax connector into it but that was not enough. Just be aware of what you are putting up. I did not have much info on the unit prior to install, but now would not purchase another one. Went with a lifetime warranty Centaur instead.

W6TQA Rating: 2/5 Aug 18, 2003 15:27 Send this review to a friend
failed  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HI-Q balun spent about 8 years outdoors, followed by 3 indoors waiting for reuse. As I went to recycle it, I notice a crack in the top of the PVC case (a pipe cap). I found no DC continuity from the input terminals to the outputs or between the input terminals. I sawed the case open, found the parts dry and uncorroded inside with continuity among all terminals. Corrosion of the machine screws, nuts and solder lugs at the outside end of both input terminals had disrupted continuity.

KG4VBR Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2002 19:47 Send this review to a friend
WORKS WELL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the 1:1 balun set up as an inverted v for 20 meters.With about 150 watts it works quite well.Top is at 20' and the ends are 12'.Its fed with 50' of rg-213.I also run a drake mn-4 tuner with a tr-3.Tuns up at less than 1.5:1 in the middle of the phone section.We will see how long it last,but for the price you can't beat it.

J PATRICK KG4VBR