Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | AM-COM CLEAR SPEACH audio filter Help

Reviews Summary for AM-COM CLEAR SPEACH audio filter
AM-COM  CLEAR SPEACH audio filter Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: This unit goes between your xcvr audio out and speaker. It filters out ALL "White" noise and cuts down ignition noise to almost nothing!
More info: http://www.amcominc.com/

You can write your own review of the AM-COM CLEAR SPEACH audio filter.

K6BF Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2011 13:01 Send this review to a friend
After 15 Years still working horse!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this Am-Com base Clear Speech for mobile and Base does what if should do and very nice audio when set the Notch and IF right on the radio, Only negative is that does not have a ON/OFF Switch with the UNIT you have to installed your owned or start your CAR Every two Days.

I will buy another one just to back up this one.

NX7U Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2004 13:14 Send this review to a friend
It's a subjective call...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one primarily for mobile HF ops, both CW and SSB. I found it not well suited for my ear; it certainly reduced the background noise, but I didn't find much improvement in overall intelligibility. PS It worked fine on CW; the notching function takes longer to converge than CW characters are long. I think it's a matter of aural taste :-) and it just didn't suit mine. But no complaints on the unit itself; nice and small and very simple to use.

WA7H Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2003 00:02 Send this review to a friend
Good but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Am Com Clear Speech speaker that I have used mobile and at the home QTH. It does a marginally better job than my Icom 706 MKIIG DSP in my mobile, but by no means is it a miracle cure for the fuel pump noise. It just changes the noise from my fuel pump from one form to another and does not eliminate it. Stations I canít hear without the speaker, I can tell are there with the speaker but I still canít understand what they are saying. When I un-key the microphone after transmitting there is a loud burst of static and noise from the speakerÖ..very annoying.

At home on my Drake TR7s it cuts out a large amount of the noise and works quite well to diminish the foreign broadcast that normally keeps me from hearing many of the stations on the nets I usually check into. It does not have the loud burst of noise when I un-key the microphone when used on my Drakes. It also helps reduce the noise on my Kenwood TS-B2000 when used in conjunction with the radios DSP.

Overall it seems like a pretty good unit; maybe if I continue to play with the adjustments on my Icom 706 I can get some improvement in the performance. I will definitely consider getting the Noise Filter box for my home station.

W6ZO Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2003 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a "base" unit - and a Timewave DSP599+, DSP in my IC746, 706MKIIG and several Icom R 75s and a PCR1000 with the UT106, and 756PROII. I have used the SGC products.

I am most impressed with the Clear Speach - no adjusmnets possible - none necessary. Bang for the buck - it can't be beat.

My father, who is 82 and has bad hearing, got one first. He first got the all-in-one with the speaker and was not happy. He called AMCOM and they told him that they thought the base with a good speaker worked better. I use mine with a Icom SP10 speaker - which is the best small speaker I have found - on my FT817.

N7PTM Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2002 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the base unit; it is functionally identical to the speaker unit.

Imagine a DSP filter that eliminates -ELIMINATES- "tuner-uppers"! The Clear Speech does just that.

It is as good as everyone says.

I recommend the speaker for mobile HF ops; the base unit will work but it means more wires.

KC9BAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2002 15:41 Send this review to a friend
I'm a believer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I didn't think that it would make a difference, however, I truly believe that this speaker can make the difference between copy or no copy. I have been able to routinely work the Southern Cross DX Net (Australia) mobile on 20m from Chicago with solid S5 copy on stations which normally would be in the muck and not copyable. In addition, on my commute to work, I travel through an area plagued by unusually high RF noise. Prior to using the Clearspeech, I would turn off the rig an listen to FM radio for the remainder of the drive. Now I can continue my hamming!

Finally, I brought the speaker out on Field day and had a similarly positive experience. My 20m teammates also were shocked at how much more pleasant it was to listen to the radio, especially at 2AM!!

I wonder why / won't Icom or Yaesu build a circuit like this in addition to DSP in their mobile rigs?

Great job Am-Com!

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2002 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Best Mobile HF Speaker!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the Am-Com Clear Speech mobile speaker for 6 months and love it. I draw power from an RCA plug in the back of my FT900CAT, so the speaker draws no power when the rig is turned off.

A dramatic difference on 40m and 75m, but also of benefit on 20m. What I like about the Am-Com DSP is that when you turn it on the audio gets LOUDER as well as clearer, while with the on-board DSP on the IC706 as the noise goes away you lose volume too.

I'm going to get the base model speaker the first chance I get, I can't wait to hear what my headphones will sound like plugged into this thing!

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia RACES State Training Officer

K4TBN Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2002 20:28 Send this review to a friend
magic  Time owned: more than 12 months
The mobile version was out of stock, so I bought the Base model to use in my Suburban. This thing is pure magic as it makes the noise just go away. The remaining audio has that digital sound, but at least I can hear stations where before I couldn't.
Beware, as the unit draws current in the OFF position, so wire it accordingly.