Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Radioworks Superloop 40 Help

Reviews Summary for Radioworks Superloop 40
Radioworks Superloop 40 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $120
Description: Multiband, HF loop antenna
More info: http://www.radioworks.com/csl40.html

You can write your own review of the Radioworks Superloop 40.

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2002 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced my diapole that was a great performer and was pleasantly suprise that super loop performed better the diapole. I also found the loop too be a quieter wire antenna mine is up 50 feet and takes about 55 ft in length. My pw1 will tune on all bands and it works great on 17. also I have ran this with out a center support on the Balun with know problems. I am just adding 80 meters. So i will have take this down, but its fine antenna, It does like too be monted High.

N4PSE Rating: 2/5 Sep 6, 2002 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Try something else  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had one several years ago. Same results as NR7F's review below. Dipoles and inv. vees consistently outplayed it. A 40M zepp feed with ladder line was a much better multi band choice. Also disliked the huge balun/transformer used at the feed point. It's too heavy to be supported by the antenna so you must mount the antenna such that the balun/transformer can be supported by itself. Too much hastle for a poor performing antenna. Think he does much better with his windoms!

KB3FGO Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2002 00:55 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really have had a good overall experience with this antenna. I use a tuner, and find that on 40 and 12 meters it tunes well without one.
I have compared it to an 80-10 windom which worked well for me and it often out performed it on all bands but 15m. The bottom line for me was on 40m it is strong for local and dx. ( I compare with other hams in the area with other wire antennas too) On 20m it is better than a dipole with contacts into Australia usually s9 when I hear others getting s7/s8 reports on dipoles. 12m and 10m are also good. 15m is the only band it is a poor performer on. I love the quiet rx too and have no problem working daytime 40m when others complain of static. I do not agree with the negative comments and only advise you that it is 'deaf' on 15m.
If you look at the literature and follow instructions so that you allow for the lobes in the pattern and set it for your needs, you will like it!

NR7F Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2002 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat my dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had high hopes for this multiband loop antenna, as it is certainly marketed as a highly effective HF antenna on 40M and 20M, with strong suggestions that it will also perform well on other bands in some situations (though what those situations are is not explained by the company). I tried this antenna out by putting it up in the same environment, with the same orientation as my dipoles on 40M and 20M. I also had an opportunity to test it against my 10M dipole. All antennas were approximately the same height.

On 40M, the Superloop is no better than my 40M dipole. Perhaps this is not surprise since a loop theoretically will have very little gain over a dipole. My dipole had broader bandwidth than the Superloop.

On 20M, the Superloop was also no better than my dipole. In fact, much of the time, my dipole not only received signals better, but also put out a better signal than the Superloop.

On 10M, there were times when the Superloop was better than my 10M dipole, but usually the dipole was significantly better.

I did find that the Superloop was resonant on 18Mhz and 24Mhz. I do not have antennas designed for those frequencies so a comparison was not possible. However, I suspect that the performance of the Superloop would tend to be fairly average compared to a dipole.

I suspose there are benefits to the Superloop for some situations, but I would advise anyone looking for a strong performer to avoid this antenna.