Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-9 dual band base antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-9 dual band base antenna
Comet GP-9 dual band base antenna Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $200 about
Description: Ultra High Gain Dual Bander for 146 & 446Mhz
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/base.html

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-9 dual band base antenna.

KB2KOS Rating: 0/5 Sep 6, 2017 18:09 Send this review to a friend
gp9  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
brought this antenna from ham radio outlet 7 month ago the antenna burn out. can just about hit the repeater 5 miles away ham radio outlet told me they cant help me, so I call the corporate they told me that they cant help me so never deal with ham radio outlet again or comet antenna joe kb2kos

VA7DH Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Good omni antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
A different viewpoint. An XYL I know was on a 2m net I was running and all she had was a little 5w Icom 91A hand held. Her signal was pretty low, hard to hear and in the noise. She ordered up a Comet GP9 antenna and her and her husband installed it at their house. Next net I had to ask her if she was talking from a mobile, there was that much difference. Since then they have installed a 50 watt mobile and are running it on the same antenna. Her signal blasts in to my place. I have had similar experience with others using the same antenna. The propagation is fairly flat from the QTH and that could be a problem if the site is high and the person being called is close and low, signal could possibly go right over top though I have not yet seen that happen. Great antenna when it's set up and working right.

KB2KOS Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2017 07:10 Send this review to a friend
junk never again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
call ham radio first they told me after 15 days they cant or wont help after spending 10,000 in the last 2 years. ok call comet and the sales there should not be dealing with the public he told me I need to climb my roof I cant climb due to a motorcycle, and then I need to take the antenna a part and solder all the cold solder joints wow needless to say I never spend one penny at ham radio outlet or comet antenna. ps wht I am write this revieu cant hit repeater 10 miles away stay away from this antenna joe kb2kos

N4DJT Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2016 08:38 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My GP-9 so far has worked perfectly.|
Its been sitting at 18 ft for 2 years and I can work any thing within 70 miles.
even worked ISS and LEO birds with it when they are low on the horizon.
can't wait to get it up on the tower.
Easy to assemble and has handled Tennessee storms without issues.

W1TXT Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2016 06:21 Send this review to a friend
So good, I bought another one  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first GP9 was up for at least 15 years and the antenna failed after taking a lightning strike. I got my money's worth out of the antenna, which survived numerous storms including several harsh winter nor'easters. I looked around for another dual band antenna and think the GP9 is still the best high gain VHF/UHF vertical antenna available today. 73.

VE7CWS Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2015 05:34 Send this review to a friend
SUPERLATIVE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased this antenna from Radioworld in Toronto Canada. It took me less than 15 minutes to assemble this antenna,I gave it a couple of coats of wax to protect the fibreglass structure.I do the same with the marine antennas on my sailboat.
The antenna performs as advertised.I live about 350 FT above sea level. I would Purchase again. My advice is to take with a grain of salt some of the negative feedback regarding this antenna

KB6NQW Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2014 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding operation and long lived  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the GP-9 from Mick's Dad, Bruce (SK) in 1993 or 4. We've used it through the Santa Ana winds, here in Southern California. I worked fantastic during the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. We had to operate across the San Fernando Valley, from my QTH in West Hills to the North Hollywood border with Burbank.
At that time, we had a Yaesu FT-470 HT attached to a pigtail on 9914 to the antenna 25' above the ground, working another FT-470 on a rubber duck in North Hollywood. The antenna worked like gangbusters!
It still does after over 20 years of use.

KD8SFE Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Flamethrower  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this thing up and was amazed at how well it works. I don't have anything to compare it to at this location but it surpassed my expectation and has been in storms for over a year so I gave it a five. I use VHF only.

KB1HXO Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 07:49 Send this review to a friend
great Antenna   Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this one up now for about 11 years. Good gain for VHF/UHF and would recommend to a friend. Its withstood all kinds of weather. Also has low SWR, So all in all I give this one a 5 rating.

W4ONC Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2013 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Set Screws  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Putting the GP-9 together was easy until I noticed that the very small set screws were missing. These small set screws hold the elements together. I called the 1-800 number to find out that I had to call another number in California (1-909-393-6133) for the screws. They came within 2 days at no cost. I am pleased with their service. So far it seems to be working fine.