Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Burghardt Repair Service Help

Reviews Summary for Burghardt Repair Service
Burghardt Repair Service Reviews: 114 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $75/hr Jan2011
Description: Kenwood Authorized Service

You can write your own review of the Burghardt Repair Service.

KG4ERE Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2016 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Ok service, poor communications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I shipped Burghardt a mobile radio for possible repair. I made sure to let them know in both email and on the repair slip I printed from their web page to let me know an estimate before doing any work. I received a response acknowledging my request, and was informed that there was a 4 week backlog on repairs. I told them that was no problem as I was in no huge hurry to get the radio back.

After almost a month and a half of not hearing anything I sent an email asking the status of the repair. I heard nothing back so after several days I called the store. I spoke to someone who stated that my radio was repairable and that they were waiting on parts they had ordered for it to arrive. Slightly irked I asked what the estimate was going to be, the response was within my budget. I asked them to let me know when the radio would be repaired.

After about a week I was sent an invoice for repairs, I paid it immediately via Paypal. After another week I sent another message asking if the radio had been repaired and shipped back to me yet. I finally received a reply back with a tracking number.

The repair to the radio is great, and every time I have talked to or interacted with Burghardt they have been very helpful. However their communications skills are lacking. I am glad the repair was within my budget since they went ahead and ordered parts without consulting with me first as I had requested.

I would do business with them again but with a different understanding.

WA6PH Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2016 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent history...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've read most of the reviews for Burghardt's and of those that were extremely negative, I have one thing to say. SRI you live in such a negative world! Personally, I have known Jim since, close to 1974, when I was first licensed and living in Aberdeen, SD. My initial experience began with my purchasing a Swan 500CX, from Stan, that I used for a while as a listening station and incentive to get my license. It was often tempting to transmit CW then, but I held off. Upon licensing, I didn't hesitate to jump in and join the fray only to find out that the VFO was not stable on transmit. I contacted Burghardt's about the problem and they took it in for repair, finding out that it was not repairable. Stan offered to take it in a straight trade from me in exchange for a brand new TS 520S.

I believe that was also the first time I met Jim. I then purchased many other units from them and had repairs done with them, totally to my satisfaction. These guys have always been top notch in my book and remain so. I was SRI to see that they had gone out of the sales end, but could definitely understand why that happened.

To this day I still consider Jim Smith to be my friend and an excellent individual. I would trust them with any repair or contract I pursued. From the reviews, I can see that I am not alone with this sentiment. Live long and prosper Burghardt's. 73, Phil K0RVD Bishop, CA

K9EH Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2016 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Yeast FT-100D repair   Time owned: more than 12 months
Spoke with Jim before I sent the radio. Polite, honest. I had broken a ribbon connector replacing the memory battery. He repaired the connector, replaced one of the feet, aligned and checked transmit and receive, added 60 meter coverage.
Less than one week later I got the radio back. Very reasonable cost. I have a new radio!

WB0OAF Rating: 0/5 Mar 5, 2016 12:34 Send this review to a friend
My Nightmare Service Job  Time owned: more than 12 months

We could write 4 or more detailed pages of our experience with this outfit. She talked on the phone with this Jim Smith character, and was madder than a hornet.

Then I suggested, instead of writing a Novel or Short Story on this business, letís just skip all the details and say this. Thereís already enough Bad to read right here on EHAM now!

One of the complaints here stated they had to call the Police in Watertown, SD, thatís a big red flag already. Actually 2 more complaints stated right here on EHAM, this guy tried to buy the radios instead of repairing them!.

I learned this the hard way as well, on my ICOM 7200; it took nearly 6 Months to replace a 5 volt DC regulator!. Something I should have done myself, but my disability wouldnít allow it. I could have replaced this part in an hour if I was still in the TV Repair Business.

After almost 60 emails, I seen this unfolding as a major problem, the only way I could get my radio back from this guy was through the South Dakota State Attorney Generalís Office for Consumer Fraud. Then we got the Bait and Switch pulled on us.
It appears they open up the radio, either canít troubleshoot it correctly or damage it while poking around inside, then they send you a check and a note saying, ďif you cash this check, we own your radioĒ. ????

We heard 12 other guys over radio airwaves with almost the same stories! So there are 2 more Red Flags right here on EHAM. That should be enough for anybody. My details wonít add anything.

By the way, every state has a Consumer Fraud Division, just look up your States Attorney Generals Office; itís a free service to the public to help with this kinda thing. Itís not worth getting hypertension over or high blood pressure. Usually 3 strikes and theyíre out anyhow.

This is a 4 page condensed complaint leaving all the details out, since everyone else pretty much said it all, I didnít want to repeat it!.
If you want to send your radio to Burghardt, by the way the owner Stan is dead, this guy that repairs things, works under their old name for credibility which is now gone. Far as Iím concerned there is no Burghardt Radio anymore.

But donít let this stop you from mailing your radio to this outfit.

N9ZUT Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 06:13 Send this review to a friend
FT840 Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Radio was repaired with fast turnaround. Radio works like it was when new. The price was reasonable. I plan on using them again. 73.

WV1M Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Professional and reasonably priced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my Yaesu FT-1000MP repaired by Burghardt and was very satisfied with the communication, price and quick delivery of service. Jim was helpful with recommendations for available upgrades while in there with repairs. My rig had a blinking display and no reception. Quick service and returned the parts that were replaced.
I will certainly use Burghardt for any of my future HAM radio equipment repairs. Total turn around time was 3-1/2 Weeks just as they quoted.

KC1ACL Rating: 2/5 Aug 4, 2015 17:29 Send this review to a friend
ft857d  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a issue with my ft857d and sent the radio to burghardt to be repaired.it came back.supposidly with no issues.i tried to key up and nothing.they said they had the radio on the air and working?????. then sent it to Yaesu and was back repaired..there was a internal component that was bad. fast turnaround,im now on the air.you be the judge about sending anything to these guys.KC1ACL

KA0UAX Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2015 19:03 Send this review to a friend
great repair job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Needed the PGM switch replaced on my Yaesu FTDX 5000. Burghardt installed the switch, updated the software and turned it around in a very short period. Great job!

KA1VE Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Good result  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was nervous about using Burghardt since there were a few negative reviews, but a highly-respected Yaesu repairman who was too busy to take my job recommended the service, so I decided to take a chance. I was not disappointed. Jim repaired my 1978 Yaesu FT-901DM, which I had not used in 32 years, and I am getting great signal reports. Yes, there were a few minor miscommunications, and it did take almost three months, but it was well worth the wait. My advice is that if you don't get a quick response to your email just phone Jim. He's a good communicator over the phone.

K2YY Rating: 0/5 Mar 20, 2015 13:12 Send this review to a friend
A learning experience!  Time owned: months
I sent an SB-220 to Burghardt for repair (I keyed it while drive was being applied!). The better part of a YEAR later they said that the holdup was getting the right parts. Then they said, no, now they had the parts. A few months later I had to call the Watertown, SD, police to get my rig (unrepaired) back. Then I saw that the rig had different tubes in it. I asked them to send my tubes back. Neither of them worked. Now I have a very expensive boat anchor. Will you have the same experience? Maybe yes, maybe no. Take your chance.