Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Unique Wire Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Unique Wire Tuner
Unique Wire Tuner Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$150/$250
Description: 52 0hm input to single wire ant output.
Lo and Hi Z options with extra single value capacitance options. Wide range matching through L network config.
More info: http://n/a

You can write your own review of the Unique Wire Tuner.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Real simple, real value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in 1974 and it has served well.
The condenser/ roller inductor combo inside the box has got to be one of the simplest, most effective random wire tuners ever made. This tuner will allow you to load most anything.
I keep it outdoors inside a styrofoam cooler for weather protection.
This is one ham radio item that never should have ceased production. There is something zen-like occurring when you can tweak the capacitor, then the roller coil, then repeat and repeat----until you arrive at a perfectly flat SWR value on the wire you tossed out the window.
I guess the old Murch Ultimate Transmatch was just as capable for random wires.
But the Unique wire tuner is simple and effective as well.
Wish I had ordered two.

AC2Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2012 09:41 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!  Time owned: more than 12 months
They were built in the Goo Old USA.

KZ3DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2012 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Piece of Equipment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Everything you have heard about these is true. It is a very high quality piece of equipment...built like a tank and gives you a flat 1:1 SWR on anything.

I use this with my Swiss Dipole rather then the internal tuner in my rig.

That's the good news. The bad news is that they are almost impossible to find. I am not sure, but I think they were originally made in the UK.

I paid $100 at a hamfest for mine and thought I got a real bargain.

G0LJS Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2009 06:06 Send this review to a friend
very useful and compact  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this tuner at a Hamfest 10 years ago for 10.It looked like it had spent some time at sea,but the internals were in good condition. It will almost tune anything ! The only one I have seen in the UK.

G0LJS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2009 15:30 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Versatile Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Aquired this tuner at out door Hamfest about ten years ago for 10 ,a real bargain ! I thought it had spent some aboard a Yacht, But internals found to be in good shape.
This unit will tune up, when all else fails. It is always in my expedition equipment. G0LJS

K5AF Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2006 15:31 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just picked up the early version of this tuner for around $70.00 on eBay. This tuner has superb-quality components, and a great narrow, but deep footprint, just right for smaller desks. The disadvantage of this early model is that it is not switchable, in other words, you can't switch to low impedance loads, you can only tune high impedance antennas. This can be easily be dealt with by adding a switch on the front panel, anyone who wants to perform this mod can contact me and I'll describe it in detail. There is also space inside the enclosure to add an internal balun, or the balun can be outboarded if desired.

This tuner is on the par with the Ten-Tec L network tuners or the Heath SA-2060 and with some easy mods can be just as flexible to use. I parted with one of these years ago, and now realize it was the best tuner I've ever used. This will be the "lab standard" for all the homebrew tuners I build. I'm glad to have one coming my way soon!

N1BEC Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2005 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks,

I did a double take at the Puyallup, WA Hamfest yesterday. Sitting there at a table was a Unique wire tuned with the cover off to show how well built it is.
Fortunately, it was still there after I did a couple of loops through before it opened to the public (yep, I got in as a dealer's helper. It's the only way to go to a Hamfest. All the good stuff is long gone by the time the doors open).
I plunked down a C note and it was mine. Although I didn't get it as cheap as K8DIT, it was still well worth it!
This must have been the later 160 M model, as it had three HV button caps in the output.
By arranging shorting bars, you could select between no caps in series, or any combination of the three in series with the output.
My present pitiful HF location limits me to a dipole about 110 feet long, run in a square about 10' over a chain link fence so the ends are about 6" apart at the end from making a loop.
I connected the output of the tuner to one side of the dipole, and the other side to ground.
The output caps were jumpered out of the circuit, and a capacitive input was used.
Dang! Everything folks have said here is true: The unit loaded everywhere I went on HF, 160 M-10M. It took all the frequencies right down to a flat 1:1 match.
definitley suggest using a dual needle wattmeter/SWR meter in the lead to the tuner.
The unit is built like a brick outhouse with high quality components.
Resetability is unbelievable! Dead nuts on the money every time.
This unit is a keeper, and highly recommend it.

VE3OU Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2004 14:19 Send this review to a friend
performs as described!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up the Unique Tuner on Ebay, and it was the latest model (double inputs, extra capacitors).

It is a simple pi-tuner for a single wire antenna. Using either of the inputs, I can tune to a flat 1 to 1 on any band I want with 90' of wire.

Built well, nice roller coil, super construction, and no doubt will handle over a KW of RF.

W4EWJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2004 15:33 Send this review to a friend
rugged, excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently bought on ebay knowing it had been modified by the addition of coax out connector...
The roller inductor is outstanding quality as is
the var. cap. It tunes easily without complaints..
I even use it in a portable enclosure to tune the
base of the center element of a BOBTAIL Curtain
to make it broadbanded...

NO, theres no meters...so use the one on your
xcvr.

Resetability is damn near exact...Just an
awfully good basic tuner and the price is right.

Rgds