Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-02AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-02AT
Icom IC-02AT Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 meter HT
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-02AT.

W4FID Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2010 03:25 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST HT EVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Replaced my IC-2AT with one in the early 80s. Put 2 wrist straps on it so it could easily/safely hang from the mirror of the rental car. That puts the duck in the windshield which is good enough for urban use. With a cigar lighter plug and speaker mic I'm mobile in 12 seconds. Traveled a total of about 250,000 miles that way as a consultant for many years. Used a twin lead roll up J-pole from the hotel room. Met countless hundreds of great people all over the country.

So easy to program you don't need a book or even a cheat sheet. Reliable. Rugged. Inexpensive. Has the common tones for access in 98% of the repeaters.

2 years ago I found an as new one with the original box, speaker mic, etc at Dayton. Grabbed it. Now it's my primary 2M rig sitting on my desk for everyday 2M use. On the right side of the pix in my bio.

Loved it when it was new over 25 years ago. Still do. Can't even say that about the XYL I had back then.

WA9CWX Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2010 20:50 Send this review to a friend
I have owned mine since the mid 80's and it has never failed.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent radio for portable use. Can withstand more than typical HT abuse, very easy on battery drain, easy to program. I have had mine since the mid 80's, never a problem. Icom did VHF well.

YD1LPS Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2010 08:14 Send this review to a friend
stiil working great...  Time owned: more than 12 months
NIce Old Icom hand held tranceiver,receive transmit still good in year 2010,no modification, bc 135 use for charger.sound is pure.no say much, great radio..
best regard,
yd1lps

WA5WRD Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2010 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Very reliable. Takes a likin @ keeps on tikin  Time owned: more than 12 months
My O2AT was like others writing here, the first radio I purchased after a house fire in Feb. 1985.
It has been kicked around in some of the worst of environment and it keeps on ticking.
It has the original button battery and after setting on a shelf since about 1991 without any power what so ever, I dug it out a couple nights ago and plugged a 12.6 volt power supply in. I have not talked to anyone but I did trip the repeater here a couple times just to see if it still transmits. It does. Sorry guys about the kerchunking. I'm through now.
This one was modified in March of 1985 and works from 132.00MHZ to 163.00MHZ.
At the time the power output with the large battery was about 3 watts on the low in and about the same in the center. It peaked 7.15 watts around 145.00MHz. The tuning and peaking was done with equipment in a Avionics shop.
I've hardly ever used it at hi power. No need. Longer battery.
I once used it in a search for a couple escaped prisoners who killed a sheriff in the escape in Mississippi and with the State police permission I had it on their vhf frequencies in several memories. I was searching from the air in a Cessna 182 pipeline patrol plane that I flew for Trunkline Gas Co.
Yes we got them.
I also used it quite a few times on the border with the same aircraft doing DF work for the
FCC engineer in Houston.
The DF was a Happy Flyers home built unit using the two com antenna on the aircraft.
Worked great.
As hand held amateur radios go it's a brick but a good solid design. Never ever a single problem for me.

WB5PDD Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2009 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Bought new -- Reliable!  Time owned: more than 12 months

I bought my O2AT, BC-35 desk charger, and an MFJ speaker mike brand new around 1987 right after our house burned down as my first new radio ever after being licensed since the 60's.

I later modified it to operate out of band for MARS and SAR and I tweaked the VCO to lock between about 140 to about 160 mhz. It turns out that we became full time liveaboards for 8 years aboard a sailing sloop and I used it on marine frequencies as a lap radio for opening drawbridges etc, plus as a backup to the main radio.

In spite of the recommended replacement time of 3 or 4 years for the internal backup button battery, this one is still kicking on the original battery, and might be due to my never letting it discharge and stay that way.

The aftermarket $24.95 IC-8 battery pack from Batteries America will take eight NiMH, NiCD, Alkaline or whatever AA size cells that will fit in the case, and the packs are still available. It will run off pretty much anything from 6 to 16 volts with or without a battery attached, and has a common coaxial pwr jack in both the top of the radio and the back of the battery packs.

The antenna connection is a BNC which is rugged in case you just have to use the antenna for a handle. Once or twice I had to open it up to tighten the inside nut that holds the BNC connector, but other than that ... no problems.

The receive audio is good and has plenty for all but the noisiest environments. I don't recall ever having any bad transmit audio reports.

This is a quality radio and it feels like it when you pick it up as it is a little hefty like a commercial Motorola. It's never needed repair and has always worked.

As I type, it is sitting on my kitchen table in the desk charger with a BP-8 pack full of NiMH batterys, and still kicking after 21+ years.

If you can find one of these at a 'fest or Ebay, I'd say it would easily be worth $75-$100 even though you can buy new monobanders for nearly the same price and it will likely be working after the new one quits.

Rick

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Solid and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine second hand back in 1991, to replace the Tempo S1 I accidentally fired and ruined (see my review of the S1). This HT is solid and reliable, tougher than the DJ-582 that replaced it (although not by much), had good audio and did it's job well. I never liked the fact that you had to build a "special" mic interface for Icom radios if you wanted to plug a packet TNC into the thing, but that's a minor thing (plus the procedure is described in the manual). If you find one used and need a simple rig that will get you on the air, here's a good one.

Other reviewers have seemingly criticized these old rig for not being "modern" enough...I am guessing they are newly licensed and weren't around when these old gems were new. Remember, this HT was *new* in 1985! If you see one on eBay keep that in mind! Any rig marketed new over 20 years ago can *not* possibly measure up to modern standards - it's 20 plus years old! That's a bad things to some, but the simplicity of the older, less flashy rigs is an attractive thing to many - me included.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2007 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got an IC-02AT from an eBay auction at a good price. When I received the item it was clear that the previous owner had taken good care of it. When I removed the original protective film from the keypad and upper panel, it looked like a new radio!

After programming it following an on-line manual, I started using it to scan and chat on local repeaters. The audio reports were excellent from people who know my voice.

The unit's ruggedness is obvious, from the belt clip, if nothing else. Definately industrial strength.

I plan on enjoying this rig for some time to come.

AC0AX Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2007 18:24 Send this review to a friend
back to beginning  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 02AT was my first 2m radio..found that one at a garage sale, it did have all the mods done to that one. Not sure where it disappered too after my divorce a lot of my treasures disappered. Now some 10 years later I was looking on ebay and actually got lucky and got another one for a great price. True it only has 10 memories but hey its still working after almost 20 years. This one doesn't have any mods done to it. and no it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the new HT's have but I can actually work on this one if I have too, and I know that its on my belt.

K4MC Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Takes a licking and keeps on talking  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first ham rig circa 1985 +/- and still going strong. This one is a real classic.

Since it is a little large (the term "brick" comes to mind)by todays standard it is now religated to 24/7 duty in my garage workshop since I now have a W32 to use for portible use.

KMB01 Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Great old timer HT!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A Large HT.. Loud Speaker, Great Mic sensitivity, still puts out 5 watts on high power all these years... toughest HT around... the finals on this 02AT is simply the best! i salute Icom for this radio!!! a lot of 02AT still in use... i like the tone (dtmf) on this radio, old but can trigger a repeater with subaudible tone...

10-44 to Kabalikat Malaya Zambales 10-41s