Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-02AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-02AT
Icom IC-02AT Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 meter HT
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-02AT.

KC0VXX Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2006 14:06 Send this review to a friend
First HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio from an old friend who's liscence had expired. The radio works great other than the fact that I'm in an awful spot and can't get my signal out. The other thing is that the batteries have stopped charging and will only last for about 10 min off of the charger. Other than that a good solid rig I bet I could chuck the thing off a cliff and it would be fine.

PATRICK526 Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2005 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Best HT during that time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am writing my rating in reference to the time this HT took waves in the amateur bands. This radio is great! Just like one of the reviewers said, it is built like a tank! Jammers (in the Philippines) use this HT for transmitting "non-stop press" on the PTT for 24 hrs. without burning its finals!

KA3SEI Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2003 00:52 Send this review to a friend
Solid brick!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I inherited this HT from my dad. Had to repair some bad solder joints, but this is one solid rig. I own a V8000, a 207H, and a VX2R, and I have also owned a T7H, and a Q7A. This old HT has the BEST audio quality of any rig I've ever used. It's big and heavy, but I don't believe you can find a finer handheld radio. I get great transmission reports using 3 watts on a repeater 20 miles away, and that's with the original ugly duck antenna. If you have the opportunity to get one, do it!

KC1MK Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2002 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Best 2M HT I've used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first IC-02AT in 1987, and used it regularly until I sold it in 1995 to get a dual-band HT. I regretted that pretty soon, as the IC-02AT was quite "bulletproof," while most other HTs I've used suffered from horrible pager intermod where I used to work. I bought another IC-02AT off eBay a few months ago, and won't part with this one. You can get more features, but I would guess it's difficult to beat the IC-02AT in basic performance, based on the the HTs I've used. BTW, it's built very well and holds up to years of daily use.

NE0P Rating: 3/5 Jun 19, 2002 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Getting a bit dated  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio was top of the line when it came out, because it was one of the first HTs to have built in PL tones, and to run directly off of a 12 volt input. By todays standards it is a pretty large HT, but it is built like a tank. Only gave it a 3 because it needs several mods to get it up to speed. The audio output is very low before the mod, and the scan speed is slow. The 02AT has 10 memories, but the first 6 or 7 memories all store the same PL tone. you can store different tones is the other memories. This about drove me crazy until I reread the manual. There is a variety of battery packs available for these HTs, and they can put out 5 watts with a 12 volt supply or the BP7 battery. Don't know how much the receive can be extended, but out of the box it will receive the WX channels. I had the UHF version (04AT) and it was moded to cover from 300 to 650 MHZ on receive, so i am assuming that the 2 meter can be opened up as well. Good beginning or backup HT if you can find a good price on one. Sold both of mine to get an Icom T8, and got an extra band in an HT a third of the size. The 02AT is easy to program and has big buttons if that is a concern of yours.