Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-80 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-80
Kenwood MC-80 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $85
Description: Desktop microfoon

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-80.

K8CPA Rating: 1/5 Aug 16, 2014 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy this, get a mc-60 instead...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a very good mic at all.

If you try and run it on 75 meters and you touch the mic, you will get RF like crazy on the audio.

If you happen to get a loose PL-259, you will get RF on your audio.

Mine is about 14 years old now and it shows. I bought a used MC-60 to replace it. Best move I ever made.

HA7WX Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2014 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Goog Mic after a little mod  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this microphone as a combo with my TS-870 back then when i bought it used.
This mike is very good especially on the used market, so if you're on a budget, this one will fit the bill between 50 and 60 euros depending on its condition.
One mod is necessary and it won't ruin the microphone's aesthetics: you carefully need to unscrew the small grid on the goose neck to have access to the electret mic element. Take care not to scratch your mike.
Gently pull it outside with tweezers by 1/4 inch just enough to stick transparent tape, so that you insulate it electrically from the goose neck and the rest of the mike. Push it back in place and carefully screw back the grid.
This is the easy and sure way to cure the mike against RFI.
Otherwise this microphone has a flat response and a little on the lower medium side, so it's a bit boring and not punchy.
Would i recommend it? Yes to the HAM on a budget and who wants a pretty decent mic with clear modulation to replace the hand-mic of his Kenwood rig.

KD8QNC Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2011 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Too many mods required to make it a good mic.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my MC-80 mic used from an SK estate. The previous owner was a perfectionist and the MC-80 looked to be new in the original box. I used it on my Kenwood TS-450s and worked very hard not to overdrive the ALC line. To do this, the volume control on the back of the mic base was turned down as far as I could adjust it without turning off the audio. Secondly, I turned down the mic gain on the TS-450s to a breath above null, the first line on the dial. At this setting, I can barely stay within the ALC zone. It picks up so much background noise that my Heathkit SB-1000 amp sounds like a jet taking off in the background. I bought a Heil headset with a HC-6 mic element and my regulars just can't believe how good I now sound compared to the MC-80. I received a digital recording using both mics and couldn't believe how badly I sounded on the MC-80 with the blower noise in the background. The HC-6 element picks up none of the blower noise. I've read the other reviews. I think this mic just requires too much modification to make it a "good" microphone. I put mine back in the box and decided not to use it again. I love Kenwood equipment and can't figure out why they made such a poor microphone in the MC-80.

LA8DOA Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2010 01:26 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Match  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd MC-80 mic! Connected to my Ts-570, NO RF problems at all!
Outstandig audio reports, a perfect match to my rig!

DL7ISA Rating: 0/5 Jan 15, 2010 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Worst  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back then I bought a new Kenwood TS-570D(G) and the Kenwood MC-80 came with it. Touching the MC-80 while transmitting totaly distorted the Audio, an RF Problem. The Audio always sounded muffled, same in Combination with other Transceivers and I tried a lot of Settings to Adjust the Audio. The Original Handheld Kenwood Mic that came with the TS-570D(G) sounded much better than the MC-80. I used many Mics and can tell the MC-80 was the Worst. No, I dont have a Personal Gripe against Kenwood and I think rating the MC-80 zero is not exaggerated, since it was a useless Mic from Beginning all the Way till the End.

MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2009 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up recently to put onto my TS850. Worked flawlessly straight out of the box, no RF issues and well worth the money paid.

Have had unsolicited audio reports ranging from great to fantastic without having to adjust anything on the mic.
Requires very little processing from the 850, a simple but effective matching microphone!

KI4UGK Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2008 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Good MIc  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked mine up when I purchased my ts140-s.
I tried it with and without the batteries.
I Don't use the batteries, don't need them. Excellent audio and I don't have to turn the mic switch off and on. The mic turns off when the radio is turned off.
I also tried it with out the cover pad, there is a difference in sound quality, leave the pad on.

N1UMJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2008 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Good mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had great reports and given many to people using the MC-80. Only time I ever had bad reports was on FM, I ran it on my TS-570DG for 8 years, a TS-940, my TS-2000 and what ever else I've had in that time. I don't use it now because I use the TS-2000 on all bands and FM reports were no good but it's still ready for when I use the 570DG or something else. It's a keeper.

WB1PIX Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2007 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this microphone with the Kenwood TS-570D.

The MC-80 is a small microphone, with an amply weighted base and a high quality goosneck.

The mic runs a bit on the flat side, but could probably be improved by removing the foam windscreen.

I have very occassionally experienced feedback, but generally because I am running the MIC gain fairly high with speech processing, and probably sitting a little too close to the mic (trying to squeeze a few extra DB;s for the rare DX!)

All in all, this is a serviceable microphone. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, but if it came used with a used rig, it would be an acceptable mic.

I have heard mic's on air that present a significantly better tone.

I've seen these mic's used in excellent condition for about $50 which is a fair price.

As I said, it's a respectable mic if you get it with a used rig, or even want to part with $50, but if your looking for tone that people will remark upon, your probably up for a much more expensive mic.

AI4EP Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2006 17:18 Send this review to a friend
keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use it with a 450 s Kenwood hf rig...excellent audio. No need in any adjustment of the back panel of microphone.

CONS --have to switch the switch ON to use the microphone, something I have not heard of on any other kind of microphone.

PRO -- excellent audio, gooseneck is fine, steady - as - a - rock base .

I would recommend this microphone for others to use.