Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-80 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-80
Kenwood MC-80 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $85
Description: Desktop microfoon

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-80.

PA5COR Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2006 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one secondhand but in original condition.
Used with my Yaesu FT 847 with Collins filters.
The audio characteristic is indeed an bit flat, reason i added the W2IHY 2 band equaliser and noisegate to it, changing the audio to the now full audio reports i get, the added noisegate keeps the speechsilences clean from the blower in the SB-1000 from Heathkit, wich is almost next to the transciever.

The only problem is the R.F. sensitivity, as reported in the posts below, the same happened to me.

After some experimenting i opened up the tip of the microphone, unscrew the front, and carefully take out the electret element, if need be feed some cable opening up the bottom to extend the cable from there.

Then comes the easy part, isolate the electret, so that the housing of the element won't touch the metal housing anymore.
Re-asseble the microphone, as described i also added some ferrite on the hot wire of the output, and the + wire i use to feed the microphone from the powersupply, with an added 6 volt stabiliser inside the microphone.

On the outside of the microphome i clipped an ferrite as used to clamp on computergrade wires, was not really needed, but the just in case scenario popped in my mind there ;)

Now happily drivin the power up to the max from the Heathkit SB-1000, into an FD-4 at 12 metres above ground.
Beeing on the ground level, the station has been earthed with several groundrods, and the wire from the station to that net is just 2 metres long.

Cor

OZ1GCT Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2006 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Great microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have bought a used MC-80 in mint condition, for a very fair price.I was a little sceptical when I hooked it to my TS-870,(I have heard all
the stories about bad modulation and RFI problems)but I have got only good modulation-reports - from "great" to "fantastic"

DM7IC Rating: 1/5 Feb 18, 2004 10:39 Send this review to a friend
poor _  Time owned: more than 12 months
Barely readable Audio with that Mic in combination with Kenwood TS570D Shortwavetransceiver.

On 40m there the Audio ist distorted, when you touch more than the PTT switch and distorted till unreaable when you come to close with you hand to where the micneck is. That happened also in combination with my new FT1000MP Mark5 Field but not in combination of that Radio with other Mics I have.

In SSB I can compensate the deep Audio with the Equalizer in the Transceiver but thats not possible in FM. IN FM Audio is quiet, deep and unusable.

I think that mic is poor.

PE3HMP Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2003 08:00 Send this review to a friend
not as good as the MC60a  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own both MC60a and MC80 the audio of the MC80 is good but not as good as the MC60a, I use it on the TMV-7

KK9H Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2003 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Agree with WB9GKZ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an MC-80 mike for a couple years and it is used with my TS-850S. When I first put the 850 on a 1KW linear I immediately experienced the same RF problems mentioned by WB9GKZ in his review. I had to perform similar grounding modifications to my MC-80, after which, it performed normally and I have received excellent unsolicited audio reports with it. I would give it a 5 if it weren't for the grounding corrections I had to make.

WB9GKZ Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2003 08:03 Send this review to a friend
OK After RF-Proofing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the MC-80 with the TS-870S. The output of the mic is very high as others stated. I had to turn down the mic's output adjustment (accessable on rear panel) way donwn to the bottom 10% of its output level.

I experienced RF feedback problems while touching the bottom metal plate. I could not hold the mic in my hands while talking. I had to keep the mic flat on the tabletop touching only the plastic sides or the plastic PTT buttons....otherwise, I'd have thumping and squealing RF feedback noise in my audio. This, while operating barefoot on all bands. At times I find it necessary to hold the mic in my hands to get the mic element closer to my mouth because the gooseneck is very short on the MC-80 (another of its weaknesses)....compare the length of the gooseneck to the Icom SM-8, the Icom is about 2-inches longer.

To alleviate the RF feedback, I installed an RF choke in series with the white wire (audio hot lead) and soldered a jumper wire from the metal bottom plate to the ground plane of the preamp printed circuit board. That cured it...would be an easy fix for Kenwood to do and would not add more than a few pennies to the cost of production.

One must remember that this is a omnidirectional mic and does pick up more background noise than a unidirectional mic....that, however, does not bother me. It is a detriment when operating vox....I always use PTT.

Bottom line: It is a great sounding mic when used with my TS-870S....after easily installing a couple of common-sense RF-proof mods, the mic performs exactly as Kenwood describes.

M3SDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2002 13:04 Send this review to a friend
nice base mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
the mc80 is very sensitive and really amplifies your voice very well,they pick up alot of back ground noise *BUT* if there set up right with the radio they work fine.the mc80 has a setting at the back which is adjustable and this is very very sensitive the setting i have mine set on is low and paired up with my kenwood ts830m sounds great or at least thats what im told with no back ground noise.. price is reasonable on the 2nd hand market...mines a keeper im happy with my base mic.

PA1AP Rating: 3/5 Jun 21, 2002 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Good price performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have the MC-80 for two weeks now. Connected to TS-2000 rig and it works good. Audio reports are good, but still the orginal handmic performs better. The audio on the MC-80 is a bit flat, where the handmic is "alive" in sound.
One thing which isn't good; it picks up lots of surrounding noise. I'm looking for a way to solve this.

So all in two lines;