Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-23R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-23R
Yaesu FT-23R Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: 2 mts vhf handheld transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-23R.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 07:20 Send this review to a friend
It has all already been said  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything to know about that radio has already been said. I have grabbed one in a great condition (although not like new) not especially for cheap and ordered the battery case and a 1/4 wave antenna to get the most out of that radio. OEM antenna works great and the radio itself (awesome modulation just like my other radios). Mine has built-in CTCSS (was an option) which is a must nowadays when using repeater. As said in my FT-2500M radio review, i went more "basic" than "bells and whistles" and i recently started to focus on my needs. This one is like a tank, just like my other 2 radios (FT-1500M and FT-2500M). These won't let you down for sure.
Along with a great transmit audio, these radios are sensitive, selective and intermod-free. If you potentially need to use them in a noisy environment, you maybe need some real commercial radio as these are not especially strong on the audio output side.
Also, only one minor potential gripe compared to my likes, it is a US version and it has only 5 and 10 Khz freq steps, but for what i intend to do with it, it means no issue to me.
Anyway when i want more functionality, i use my trusty VX-2 or IC-T70E HTs.
Should you have a similar profile than me as for the use of 2m or 70cm bands, go for these, they are great and nearly bullet-proof. Great job and kudos to Yaesu engineers.
73 de ha7wx chris.

SQ3HTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Too cheap, too good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my last radio portable. Previously, I had a very modern radio but I wanted to see how the classical transceiver.
The only drawback is that it does not cover the whole range 136-174MHz.
This radio receiver is a masterpiece of scientists from Yaesu.
Beautiful audio is not available for any modern radio.
Pure sharp modulation that does not have modern radio.
Radio takes very little power, my copy generates 1.8 watts on high power 7.5 V power supply.
Very economical radio, cheap batteries, operating time is very large.
Radio for the connoisseur of quality, for this you need to grow up, mature. Earlier also preferred the radio with a million features but that's me tired and bored.
Feel that a lot of money spent on quality work. If was created in the United States would be ten times more expensive. The Japanese are cheap and they try hard and are living in poverty.

AF7S Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2012 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Wish more modern radios were like this one  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using a modern hand held for a couple of years, I've dug my old FT23 out of the storage box it's been in, and I'm reactivating it by adding a tone board, and a couple of new battery packs.

Modern hand helds have gotten out of control. Feature creep has made them much more difficult to operate that this classic HT. I"m a pretty savy guy, but with my new HT, I have to literally carry my manual around on my Ipad to remember how to do some of the basic functions that should be nearly automatic.

But with today's HT's you have to push two buttons, stand on your left foot, spin around three times, close your left eye, and then push a combination of two other buttons just to take advantage of some of the features. Sorry, but I'm looking for a well built unit with the necessary features that I can operate in my sleep, or at least without having to consult the manual or hook it up to my laptop every time I want to change something.

The FT23 provides everything I need. The combination of capabilitys (5 watts, CTCSS tones to operate the repeater, enough memories to access all my local repeaters, and simplicity in programming in another frequency and tone combination should I need one. )

It's built like a tank. Yes, it's heavier and bigger than my VX-6, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I wish the manufacturers would get smart, and create solid, reliable, simple to use hand helds, carefully incorporating just a few of the features capable because of the newest technology - but only the ones we really truly need. I honestly don't need to listen to the broadcast band on my handheld. I really don't need to program in every repeater in the United States; just the dozen that I might use in my local area.

So, yes, my FT23R is coming back out of retirement. If they made a similar unit today, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I haven't found one, so even after 25 years, this unit is going to become my primary HT.

SM7FBJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 09:19 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 pieces of this nice rugged handheld. I'm just looking for a CTCSS-option. If anyone can help me finding this option or giving me a hint where to find it, feel free to write me a mail: sm7fbj(at)hotmail.com

Barney

PE2RDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this radio in 2004 second (or third) hand just after passing the exam. Looks are awful, paint is missing on parts of the die-cast metal body. Had to replace the battery pack because it didn't live up to the live span of the radio itself. If you can find one on eBay don't hesitate to buy one. Build like a tank and I think mine will be in use for decades to come.

2E0SFX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2010 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Robust 80s  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one for nostalgic reasons i seen the Hams when i was young use them, i have the Kenwood thf7 and the icom e90, but this is tough robust, paid 21 GBP on ebay has ctcss board fitted love it and im not afraid of loosing it, unlike the 2 mentioned at the top.

F0FXL Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2008 12:58 Send this review to a friend
The Yaesu Legend !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was actually my very first ham rig ! Bought a pair of them used at a yard sale for a few bucks about 12 years ago and used them for listening to ham and comemrcial trafic. When i pass my ticket a few month ago i was on the air with them !

I think those handhelds rigs are part of the Yaesu legend, no whistle and bells like built-in APRS, bluetooth it is just a transceiver to talk !
The metal case won't fear hiking, biking, skiing !

Of course it's a radio from the 80's, it has a somehow outdated look, but it is a radio one might be able to service. The PTT becomes scratchy ? Take your solder iron and it's a matter of minutes !

I had the chance to find FTS-12 tone board on ebay, and since some repeaters are moving to CTCSS my FT-23 is still on the case !

As previously said check the BNC for bad connections, and it should last a few decades !

CT2FPE Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2008 05:22 Send this review to a friend
1st Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first ham radio (1995-1998).
The FT-23R is a heavy-duty handheld, with tones and external mic.
Worked in my motorbike, boat, auto and bike.
Simple to use.

WD9CVP Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2006 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this HT for several years and it still works ok.The only problem has been with the display after it took a few falls from my belt.It may be old but as long as it still works why replace it.

G1LOE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2006 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Good as they get  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these sets for about 4yrs, and it's been everywhere with me, wind, rain, doesn't bother it, i recently managed to aquire a ctcss board for it and as all the repeaters in the uk are going to ctcss access it's now good for a few more yrs of service.
well recommended.