Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2720H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2720H
ICOM IC-2720H Reviews: 163 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $???
Description: 2M/440MHz Dual Band Mobile

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2720H.

KA7SLC Rating: 2/5 Feb 11, 2009 16:45 Send this review to a friend
SAD RADIO!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my ic2720h new from HRO Portland. The radio has been stored in it's box in the shack since I bought it (had back surgery and forced into not doing any hamming for almost 2 years). I finally mounted it up and have put on about two months of use and now the left display characters are dying suddenly after only about 35 hours of 'turned-on' use. Icom Bellvue wants $43 just to see the radio problem and just told me it'll be a couple hundred to fix. Unfortunately, this is the ONLY radio I own after losing everything and being hurt on the job as a public servant 18 years. Thanks ICOM for helping me get back on the air with a disabled radio for a disabled person who can't afford to get this 'new' radio working again!

K4SAR Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2008 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio, great support from Icom  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few years ago my IC-2720H lost output power on 2m. I shipped it to the Icom repair facility in SC, and $40 and four (yes, 4) days later the radio was back in my hands, working fine, and it's been fine for several years since then. I have two of these and aside from this one incident I've had no trouble with either one at all. Good audio on my end, good signal reports from others. I've been very happy with the features and user interface.

VA3EDP Rating: 0/5 Jul 4, 2008 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Never again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very lucky if I can put out a single watt of power, Lesson learned, ICOM will never see me buy another radio of theirs,

K7DZW Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2007 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Far Better than these reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you live in a dense rf area this might not be the best radio.On the other hand if you want a radio with nothing short of great receive capabilities this is your radio. Intermod (mixing rf signals ) can be a problem in a very large city. The claim that it has a loose front end maybe true but it makes it a GREAT radio anywhere you don't have extremely dense rf bouncing off dense manmade structures.2 miles out of a big city there is NO intermod.Hooked to my GP-9 antenna I have talked to Denver CO from Troutdale OR on 2meters using 50w.Anywhere on the road this set gets a 5.

KE6SLS Rating: 0/5 Dec 2, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
avoid these stinkers!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sad story but true.

I have used older ICOMS and really liked them. They are worthy radios with limits compared to current radios for sale. With the older radios in mind, I sat out to replace three of my current VHF/UHF rigs. One was a IC-207h, and two FT-8100R (Yaesu rigs) that weren't working well. I did all the research I could here in Humboldt and I decided to go with ICOM. Last time I do this by the way.

AES Las Vegas sent me the three IC-2720H radios. I set up a small quarter wave antenna on my refridgerator and started listening to a local repeater while I read the manual. I heard intermod and thought it must be the local situation as I had just moved to a new house. I started plugging in memories for UHF, then moved to the VHF band and started plugging in memories there. What? I was over-writing the memories I used for UHF! What the heck is that all about?!

Okay, so I was already sad about the memories, but I needed a radio in my work truck so I left the remaining memories alone and installed the radio. The intermod was now worse than on the quarterwave in the house!

I drove my truck around town and all I could hear was every pager, taxi dispatch, fire and police calls etc. This radio was a complete pooper! It was late and I just left it in the truck. A week passed before I sat out to open the other two radios that were still in their packages.

I opened the first rig and put it on the quarter wave whip and INTERMOD. I couldn't beleive it. That is when I discovered eham after doing a google search for "IC-2720H intermod". Page after page of very unhappy hams with warnings about this radio! What a bummer. Here I bought three of them with only QST and catalogue reports. Never again QST!

I called AES and asked about this radio and they didn't seem to know anything bad about it. Huh, I'm the only ham that had bad luck with the radio eh? I asked for the ICOM support to see if there was help for this radio. I called them and they suggested a $200 external filter. Excuse me, but are you nuts! That's over $600 to fix these poopers! No thanks. I thought it over, and I assure you, I was very upset at both ICOM, AES sales and myself for not googling ICOM before I gave up my credit card numbers.

I decided to return the two un-used radios and keep the one in my work truck (it was used and I refuse to return something that might be sold as new if I did return it). Every day for the last year it kind of worked in my truck. Intermod crazy. Don't scan since it makes it even worse. But I was really creeped out about this and reluctant to buy anything else.

I did finally go back to Yaesu, the FT-8800 works great and only slightly different programming than the older FT-8100's.

I am now buying new rigs for the car and home, but I am still very shy about it.

I am really grateful for eham now. I'm looking for a second HF rig and I am reading every review here and elsewhere where hams can freely exchange their views and understanding of amatuer rigs. Thanks Eham. I'm going to give you money since you are doing this service!

Avoid this little stinker, it is a noise finder, not a communications radio. The Mic broke since its been in the truck. I plan to take this radio and use it for target practice--it really is that bad.

It has other issues that drove me nuts, but I am just more devoted to helping others avoid this radio that I will stop the review at this point.

Avoid this radio!

W1JCM Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2007 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it 4 out of 5 due to the lack of alphanumeric display; surely this should have been designed into a transceiver in this day of advanced and expensive radios. I have not had any of the intermodulation or blown finals, at least not yet. If I do I will just buy a Yaesu FT-8800R.

I have run this transceiver in my truck for a little over a year and it sees a lot of use especially on long hauls. I did mount it on an aluminum sheet under the passenger seat where it gets plenty of air flow to help keep it cool. I do suggest an external speaker, i run my 208 and 706MKII with external speakers too and it makes a big difference in the shack too.

Jim

VE5NAT Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 11:19 Send this review to a friend
still kick'n  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far I have had this radio for over a year and it is still working good. Overall I have had good quality sound (tx and rx), so far it has lasted through -45C winters in the car and +40 last summer and it still keeps going and going. I connected a speaker to the radio just because the audio power just doesnt cut it in this rig. One thing I would recommend is having a separate speaker for each VFO; needless to say it can get confusing or even dificult to understand QSO's when you are operating 2 channels simutaniously. Intermod isn't too much of an issue with this rig.
If I were given the opprotunity to buy this radio again, I probably would. I am still trying to figure out whether I should get this radio or the Kenwood for my shack.

N6KYS Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So far, so good. I have not run it mobile, or in a place that would conceivably test its selectivity/intermod, and the finals have held, so I can't complain. It does exactly what I want it to do, and audio reports have all been good. So, there you have it...just like mileages that vary, so do rigs. I either have a good/solid rig or one that hasn't decided to give me any trouble just yet.

WA9AFM Rating: 1/5 Mar 15, 2007 09:51 Send this review to a friend
I Give Up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a trip to Icom to have the flawed PA section 'updated', it ran for about 18 months. When it died again, it made two trips to a private repair service, my IC-2720H still dies after just a few days of operation. The concept of the rig is excllent save the poor design of the PA (which stinks on ice). I've begun the search for a replacement. Ironically, it's difficult to find a rig with the versatility of the 2720; but what good is that when the output goes to zero. IC-2720H, RIP!

KD5UDE Rating: 0/5 Mar 12, 2007 12:01 Send this review to a friend
do not buy!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned 3 of them and they all lost rf power the finals went out in all three of them. stay away from them!! take my word they will go down when you lest expect it!!!