Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2720H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2720H
ICOM IC-2720H Reviews: 166 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $???
Description: 2M/440MHz Dual Band Mobile

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2720H.

N6KYS Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So far, so good. I have not run it mobile, or in a place that would conceivably test its selectivity/intermod, and the finals have held, so I can't complain. It does exactly what I want it to do, and audio reports have all been good. So, there you have it...just like mileages that vary, so do rigs. I either have a good/solid rig or one that hasn't decided to give me any trouble just yet.
WA9AFM Rating: 1/5 Mar 15, 2007 09:51 Send this review to a friend
I Give Up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a trip to Icom to have the flawed PA section 'updated', it ran for about 18 months. When it died again, it made two trips to a private repair service, my IC-2720H still dies after just a few days of operation. The concept of the rig is excllent save the poor design of the PA (which stinks on ice). I've begun the search for a replacement. Ironically, it's difficult to find a rig with the versatility of the 2720; but what good is that when the output goes to zero. IC-2720H, RIP!
KD5UDE Rating: 0/5 Mar 12, 2007 12:01 Send this review to a friend
do not buy!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned 3 of them and they all lost rf power the finals went out in all three of them. stay away from them!! take my word they will go down when you lest expect it!!!
VK3XPT Rating: 2/5 Jan 25, 2007 00:25 Send this review to a friend
OK Features, POOR front end and PA design  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello all.

I purchased my IC-2720H second hand at a very cheap price, as it had suffered the common PA driver failure. Icom Australia told the previous owner that it could not be fixed. I repaired the radio myself, (with parts ordered from Icom) for under $50AUD.

I ended up with a very cheap radio that I have been using for a little over 12 months now.

Good points:
* Fairly easy to use
* Control mic is easy / very good to use while driving
* Twin RX
* Standard remote head
* PC software is good

BAD points:
* The common PA driver failure (poor design)
* Absolutly CRAP selectivity. Intermod problems with the 2720h are the worst I have come across in ANY radio worth over $200AUD. (This is not just with my 2720h - they are ALL the same in this regard!) The quoted RX specs are nowhere near accurate.

That is the main Good/Bad points in my oppinion. I could go on about the little things - like that it has got no alphanumeric display, but you cant have everything! If it were not for the PA driver faults and POOR front end design, this radio would get a 4 out of 5 from me.

I am upgrading to a Yaesu FT-8800r (an excellent radio - and it has an alphanumeric display!) because of the RX issues with the Icom that often make it unuseable! The built in attenuator helps, but often the amount of attenuation needed to pull a 9+ signal out of the intermod is enough to kill even the 9+ signal you are trying to hear!
KC8ZRJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 03:41 Send this review to a friend
A great Choice in Mobile radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for about 3 years now NO PROBLEMS with the radio-had an antenna problem all last winter and didn't know it-The problem could have potentially damaged the radio but luckily it didn't-The radio played beautifully all during this time-I moved farther away from the repeater and checked the antenna and found a dead short-The radio operated aparently from the coax. The radio is operating very well after the ant. was repaired. The flexibility of the installation is the thing that drew me to it initially. I would certainly buy another one, if the need arises.
WA2EDN Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2006 05:42 Send this review to a friend
3 Years and not ONE problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for 3 years, used daily in my Ford Ranger and not ONE issue. Better audio than the 2710 it replaced. I'll agree with some of the other reviewers about the display being designed for RIGHT HAND Drivers. That's the ONLY drawback I have. I'm looking a buying one w/bad finals to fix but after reading this forum, the real problem may be in the output board and replacing finals may not fix the problem.
I would buy another one new if I need to.
KF0X Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2006 10:10 Send this review to a friend
2 Main Flaws otherwise good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this rig a couple months ago. I like everything about it expect for two ket things.

1. I get reports of "tinny" sounding audio. People tell me it is clear audio, but very unnatural sounding.

2. For some reason, I drop out of a couple strong repeaters in town. I am told that my PL tone is not holding the repeater. I have never had this problem with any other radio, ever.

Otherwise, this is one awesome radio. It is easy to read, program and looks really nice. Since I only purchased it a couple months ago, I think I must have one of the "corrected" rigs that does not have the finals problem.

This is my 11th Icom. I am and will continue to be a rock-solid Icom customer. They are just so much better built than most other radios.
KX7ID Rating: 0/5 Oct 16, 2006 10:15 Send this review to a friend
IC-2720H Tuneup/Alignment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have (3) IC-2720H's and recently pulled them from each of our family vehicles and put them on my service monitor. All 3 have drifted way off frequency and I wanted to align them.

The ICOM service manual I purchased did not show the alignment procedure so I went searching on the Internet but finally called ICOM when the procedure I found on the Internet and did not work. The following is the email I received from ICOM this morning.

Good morning,

As you can see from the paperwork that you sent me, this information was intended for Icom Distributors only and was never supposed to be distributed outside Icom. I have checked with our primary tech that works on the 2720's and he advises that the procedure was inaccurate and proved itself to be counterproductive. We have not developed an adjustment procedure that we feel comfortable in releasing at this time.

I have discussed this subject in depth with our service and TSR managers and we are not able to provide you with the information needed to perform the adjustments on the radios. If your radio requires alignment / adjustment, you will need to send the radio to an Icom service center to perform the adjustments.

Kevin McClinton, W7JRL
Technical Support

ICOM America, Inc.
2380 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
Ph. (425) 454-7619
Fax (425) 637-8417

If we as hams have the knowledge, experience, and test equipment to do routine radio maintenance, radio equipment manufacturer's should provide the information so we can do those adjustments. ICOM's refusal to provide this information, however noble it might be until they are "comfortable" with releasing it, is not acceptable in my view. They clearly know how to do the alignment, they just want YOUR CASH to do it!

If you agree, you might consider letting ICOM know in large numbers and not support them by purchasing their equipment. I was considering purchasing a full D-Star system but I will not do that now due to ICOM's lack of support on this simple request to provide the "hidden alignment access information" in the CS-2720 programming software I purchased to accomplish radio programming and routine maintenance on their equipment.

Note: Kevin was very helpful and communicated professionally on this issue. It is clearly ICOM that refuses to provide this information.

I will get all my ICOM gear sold and start looking for some new dual-band mobiles from a company that will not hide and keep secret their alignment service information!

AL7I Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 22:13 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 2720 in mid-2003 for use as a base rig. Still going strong. Never had any problems. Like the dual receive capability.
N9PSU Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2006 21:00 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 2720H for at least 3 years plus, bought it when they first came out. No problems at all except the terible Intermod and low mic gain, I use it everyday, on high power 100% of the time with no problems knock on wood