Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters HT-37 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters HT-37
Hallicrafters HT-37 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $399.99
Description: 80 - 10 Meter SSB/AM/CW Transmitter

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters HT-37.

WN9D Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2015 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Fine boatanchor transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I consider the HT-37 as one of the better deals out there in a vintage CW-AM-SSB transmitter.

I proceeded with the standard updates such as replacing capacitors and adding a modern three pole power cord. Although this is no lightweight rig it is relatively simple to work on. While you have it out of the cabinet you may want to consider replacing the bias adjustment potentiometer and the selenium rectifier - again, very simple to do.

The VFO is quite stable. Adding the simple PTT modification makes for convenient operation when using a foot pedal in combination with an outboard relay box to switch the antenna between the transmitter and receiver. It's also simple to lash it up with various receivers.

I decided to solid state the rectifiers although the transformer had been rewound some years ago. The outboard line level audio feed modification results in great audio reports which rivals that of my modern rig. I can return it to stock audio feed in a matter of minutes.

I operate this transmitter primarily on 40 and 80 meters AM. There was a bit of a learning curve in loading it up as this is my first AM transmitter.

I power up the transmitter with a variac to protect against inrush current in addition to saving wear and tear on the function switch, as I do with most of the vintage rigs in the shack.

On the flip side the transmitter is rated for a mere 25 watts carrier with a pair of 6146 finals. In spite of this my amplifier is more than capable of delivering near legal limit AM on voice peaks with no more than ten Watts out from the HT-37. My only drawback with the rig is not having 160 meter band capability.

It's amazing how well the rig has held up all these years - I'm only a few years older than it is.

N6AF Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2013 07:46 Send this review to a friend
HT-37 "out of the barn"  Time owned: more than 12 months
When first licensed as a novice in '71, I used 'rock-bound' CW transmitters but my ham buddy's brother owned an HT-37 that amazed us with its VFO and mysterious "DSB" and "LSB" modes. More than 40 years later I started snooping around for one of these phasing method beauties in order to join the fun on the 80 meter AM nets. After several months of periodic searches on the Internet an ad showed up. "Hallicrafters HT-37 $50". One phone call later found me barreling down the freeway to pick it up. It worked after, according to the seller, sitting in storage for 25 or more years. Super audio reports with a JT-30 mic. Unbelievable to me how these rigs hold up. I get terrific audio reports, sometimes being told the HT-37 sounds better than my K3 in ESSB mode! I hope to hear you on the 80 m AM nets.

73 N6AF Chuck

WA3UEN Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 07:25 Send this review to a friend
I love my HT-37  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my HT-37 back in 1973. It was my first ham transmitter. It came along with a Drake 2-B receiver and an HT-41 linear that I purchased from a silent key. I still have this gear, though I haven't turned it on in years. I'm going to resurrect it sometime over the next year or so and get it back on the air.

I also have Drake Twins (T4XC/R4C), but my first station/first love is the HT37/2B. My first contact was made by loading the transmitter into a LIGHT BULB. I had a QSO with someone from Florida from Pittsburgh, PA while sitting on the floor of my parents bedroom.

K7SU Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 18:21 Send this review to a friend
I want mine back!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my HT-37 back in 1967 after upgrading from Novice to General. I paired it up with a National NC-300 receiver. I have kicked myself for selling them back in the early 80's. The HT-37 was such a great rig and everyone marveled at the audio on both SSB and AM. I never did anything to it but use it. In early 80's I sold the pair to help finance my new Kenwood TS-830s. The 830 was/is a great rig too but I sure wish I had the HT-37 back. It took 2 men and boy to move it anywhere. If you pick up a used one in working condition, hang on to it....or sell it to me at a great price! :>)

KB1AWV Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transmitter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given this transmitter about 6 or 7 years ago. It had been stored for a while before I got it.
The only problem I ever had was some sticking of the band switch (dirty). I also replaced a few weak tubes.
This transmitter works great! Everyone hears me without difficulty. I get great reports with it. I have it set up to work a relay (Dowkey) so that when I switch from receive to transmit I can use a single antenna. It is paired with a Hammarlund HQ-170 (another gem). The dial is easy to read and the stability is very good after warmup. It puts out a full 100 watts consistently. This rig along with the Hammarlund make my vintage station a joy to use.

W0AZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2005 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful vintage transmitter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The HT-37 may be one of the deals out there in a vintage CW-AM-SSB transmitter.

Although transformer failures are reported, I have not had any trouble in that regard, even without modifications to the power supply. The quality of the audio is well documented. The excellence of the CW shaping is also well known. And when adjusted peoperly, the AM is superb. Like all low-level modulation rigs, setting it up on AM takes a little doing, but once good settings are acheieved, the audio is excellent.

The addition of PTT (a simple modification, available on the internet) makes operation more convenient.

A Shure 444 mic produces excellent audio with this rig.

I am keying the rig with a PicoKeyer. The voltage at the key is ~50 volts, and many modern keyers wil fry at this voltage--the PicoKeyer will handle 100 volts without difficulty, and is also one of the few available that can handle either positive or negative polarity. I am also using a NYE Master Key as a straight key. I like the feel of this key (some do not), but I strongly recommend it for use with boatanchors, especially those that show high voltage at the key. The Master Key has isolated contacts, and may be the safest straight key out there for use with boatanchor transmitters.

My rig was a gift. It needed very little work to get it on the air, and it has produced full output ~90W on 80-20, ~75W on 15-10, since I fired it up. The VFO is quite stable.

I'm running it with a Hammarlund HQ-145A, and switching the antenna with a Dowkey antenna relay.

If I close my eyes, I can almost believe it's 1960 . . .

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2005 17:03 Send this review to a friend
a classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first "serious" transmitter, bought new circa 1961. Wonderful rig, easy to tune, good reports. A little bit more "hands on simple" than the new stuff, but a solid performer.

W3DBB Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2005 16:20 Send this review to a friend
stable v.f.o.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired my Hallicrafters HT-37 at the Ephrata, PA hamfest in 1991 for $80. I ran this transmitter back in 1998 and 1999, using it on 40 and 15 meter CW.

As indicated, the stability of the heterodyne oscillator v.f.o. is notable. I also received some nice reports on this transmitter's keying characteristics, usually from oldtimers who remembered them from early 1960's.

I only ever tested the HT-37 on phone into a dummy load, so my experience there is limited. However I'm getting the itch to drag this rig out and run some double sideband supressed carrier.

The HT-37 always had a reputation for it's undersized power transformer. I was able to secure the original power transformer by doing a number of modifications to the power supply. They were:
1. Install a 1 Amp fast-acting fuse between transformer centertap and ground.
2. Replace all of the electrolytic capacitors.
3. Replace the original selenium rectifier in the bias supply with a silicon diode.
4. Replace the 5R4 high voltage rectifier with silicon diodes.
5. Replace the 5U4 high voltage rectifier with silicon diodes.
6. Completely disconnect the 5 Volt filament windings from both the 5R4 and 5U4.
7. Replace the 0A2 regulator tube with a string of Zener diodes.

After doing these mods, both HV and LV were higher. I encountered reliability problems with the carrier oscillator tube (12AT7?- I'm writing all this from memory) which I later learned was due to cathode stripping in the first 12AT7 tube. My first shot at this was a series resistor to the entire sub-chassis containing audio and low-level r.f. circuitry. The cathode stripping phenomenon in that first 12AT7 continued unabated due to the 300 Volts d.c. intstantly delivered to the cold 12AT7 tube. I had solid-stated the low Voltage supply.

Before this rig is powered up again I will install an appropriately sized current inrush limiter at the input to the power supply. The word I heard is this will solve the cathode stripping problem in the carrier oscillator tube.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2005 13:58 Send this review to a friend
True love  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my main exciter from 1977 to 1979. Picked up a unit on EBay. Worked right out of the box. It did take me 4 days to get the VOX working, and the manual (included) gave me a mod to get semi-break in on CW (I used to run audio from the keyer monitor into the audio input before, turning down the mic. gain so as not to get 2 signals). Please replace ALL paper capacitors! The power transformer usually goes, but PW Dahl has replacements for around $250. My dial drive was a problem, still working on it. Audio quality is not matched by modern rigs, you get full unfiltered audio. Kind of makes running a contest interesting, you have to zero with the adjustable spotting signal for each QSO. Haven't tried 40M split on SSB, think that would be tough compared to the modern rigs with digital readout. Quite stable. 750 volts in the open, watch those fingers!

K5ET Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2004 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used an HT-37 in the mid 70's, the previous
owner had modded it for PTT operation and I used
it with a National NC303 receiver and a NYE/Viking
T/R switch. Of course, you had to allow sufficient
time for it to warm up, but once done, it was quite stable. I used a D-104 with it and always
good reports on the audio. For those interested
in vintage stuff, I recomend it highly!