Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters HT-37 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters HT-37
Hallicrafters HT-37 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $399.99
Description: 80 - 10 Meter SSB/AM/CW Transmitter

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters HT-37.

W4MJR Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2003 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Great classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you like to operate old classic gear then the Hallicrafters HT-37 is the way to go. I have been using one for the last 3 years almost daily.It took awhile to find its matching gear but taking my time I now have the HT-37 transmitter and SX-111 receiver and with the help of a good friend I now have the matching HT-41 amp with it also. The HT-37 works good on CW but its best used for SSB and AM. The old timers says its great for SSB with the D-104 or 10DA mic. ( I use a 10DA )

AA1ZO Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2003 07:47 Send this review to a friend
A great transmitter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love Hallicrafters stuff. I guess it was because when I was a teen back in the 60's I owned a Hallicrafters CB-3A CB. It didn't work very well so I had to learn how to fix it(I was poor). It gave me my start in electronics. Anyway when my forty year old HT-37 arrived I was a little bit of a skeptic. I had to replace the power cord. That was it. I have this transmitter mated to a Hallicrafters SX-117 receiver. This station works perfectly. The HT-37 always gives me good signal reports. If you use it on SSB, be sure to let it warm up for about 30 minutes. This way it will be good and stable. My HT-37 came with 6146W's finals. That gave me about 150 watts of PEP on sideband. That is too much and could wipe out the power transformer. I recommend finding a good pair of 6146's and using those instead. When using AM don't expect to get more than 17-25 watts of dead carrier power out of this baby. Peek envelope power on AM is 4 times the carrier power for 100% modulation. So 4 times 25 is 100. Get it? If you try to get more and you can, you most definetly can say good-bye to the power transformer after a fashion of this abuse.
I use a good old fashion D-104 microphone. It seems to perform very well with good clean audio. Don't try to de-yellowfi the audio as this will make your footprint too wide on AM and SSB. Keep it stock and everyone will hear you. This is a great transmitter. If you don't want to be just an appliance operator on the Ham bands ie: modern HF transceivers and the like, this is the rig for you. If you combine this transmitter with a vintage receiver and a good antenna tuner and possibly a linear (mine is a SB-200),the knobs per square inch is enormous. Have fun and get yourself a great transmitter. The HT-37 will fit the bill.
Have Fun!