Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Butternut HF2V Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut HF2V
Butternut HF2V Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $374.95 USD
Description: Two Band Vertical Antenna for 80 and 40 meters
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/but-hf2v

You can write your own review of the Butternut HF2V.

G0CGL Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2015 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Versatile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my 2004 review. I've now had my HF2V for 11 years. I have used the 30m and 160m add-ons. DXCC totals for the 11 years are 300+ on 30, 40 and 80. Pretty good. Topband was harder going.

So in September 2015 I modified it to improve the efficiency on 160m (and 80m). I added 4x 25ft top loading wires and removed the 30m coil. 40m operation is also lost with this configuration though I retained the 40m coil to maximise electrical length.I replaced the 15kV rated 200pf capacitors with 40kV ones from the well known auction site. This allows 1KW on 160m.

September to end December, DXCC total on 160m increased from 125 to 140 countries and performance is very good. 80m works superbly.

Next summer I intend to add 2m to the base section and thereby raise the 80m coil by that amount and improve efficiency on that band by another 10%.

For a 160/80 dual band excellent performing vertical without complexity, the HF2V cannot be beaten.

AD5HD Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2015 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed without the stock mount. Instead it was clamped into a DX Engineering fiberglass channel with cut down U-bolts which was in turn mounted to a tilt-base attached to a heavy wall 316 stainless pipe set in Quickrete two feet deep. Works mondo fb. Used the DXE radial plate as well as their balun and mounting bracket. The base choke is installed between the radial plate at the corner where the ground rod is attached and the hot terminal of the balun that ties to the base of the antenna. Also works mondo fb. Assembled using a zinc based contact compound rather than the copper based material supplied with the antenna since this could lead to corrosion. No issues so far. Assembly was trivial, no guying needed at all. It bends in the wind and recovers as claimed by the mfg, not issues at all. Tuning is trivially easy although using a CIA-HF helps. VSWR is very low on 40m and tuned to 75m it leaves the CW end unusable without a tuner. It is possible to use remote controlled relays to short the lower coil to tune across 80m but I haven't installed something like this yet. The Butternut 15m stub kit for the HF6V (I think) works fb with the HF2V to tune up 17m although it doesn't get much better than 2:1 but that's plenty good enough. Over a decent radial field and with soil having good conductivity the VSWR bandwidth on 80m is fairly narrow indicating a good installation, per the instructions as well. Compared against a DX-CC installed as an inverted vee at about the same height it does a good job of getting out to longer distances and is clearly weaker inside the first skip zone where the DX-CC as an NVIS antenna on 40m and 80m works much better. Very pleased with this antenna. Adding a capacitance hat would make it much better on 40m as well as 80m but would be difficult given the proximity of the DX-CC, unfortunately. Can't see how a 43' remotely tuned vertical could be substantially better than a resonant vertical ten feet shorter. EZNEC indicates the elevation radiation pattern is likely to be better as well. Highly recommended.

VK4KKD Rating: 0/5 Jun 15, 2015 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Prime example of not reading more reviews on products! I could not believe how pathetically weak this antenna was. Even a slight breeze had the thing bent way over. Yes I should have fitted some form of guying to it, but I did not even get past the initial assembly and adjusting before the bottom insulator snapped in the 15kph breeze. Bought a length of fibreglass rod and replaced the broken bit then wrapped the whole area where the supplied insulators were. Not a good start. Fitted the wobbly thing with some Dacron guys and tried to get the rotten thing to tune. Sadly that has not happened in spite of repeated attempts. So after 18 moths of frustration I have taken it down and replaced it with trapped dipole which actually works. The concept is a good one but sadly because of the extremely lightweight (weak) construction the small area usage of it is not there, it needs guys and it obviously needs a much more comprehensive ground radial system than I could install.

ON7WP Rating: 0/5 Apr 20, 2014 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Found everywhere on the planet...collapsed !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the antenna two years ago in a sealed box from a hamshop going QRT in The Netherlands. I was disappointed the antenna was sold without any proper mounting clamp, as if everybody uses concrete to mount it. (Designed a proper mount for it as well as my DX88, look on www.mods.dk)
Tuning without network analyser is quite cumbersome. Antenna is said to resist 80 km/h winds without guying. So I put it up on my garage. After three moths it started wiggling like +- 20 30 degrees. Bottom insul;ator cracked after less than six months. We even did get any decent wind speeds yet... Contacted Butternut support for a spare part under warranty. A lot of mailing crap but no support, no spare part.
Company is crap, as are their antennas. very poor glasfiber insulator materials, After my own repair with the new mount using pneumatic clamps on a plate the antenne was OK until two months later the coil classfiber insulator starts showing the same problems. Next winds it will probably crack too. No more Butternut for me, how crappy compared to European antenna constructions.

Referring to their ARRL QST AD "where in the world will you find Butternut HF2V antennas ? I guess everywhere, ON THE GROUND, COLLAPSED...."

Pedro C5WP ON7WP AA9HX

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Add me to the list of Butternut fans. I replaced an old trap vertical with the HF2V. I couldnít be happier. You need to read the manual but assembly is simple and straight forward. Some of the holes didnít line up exactly but, that was easily corrected with a round file - minor miss. There were many extra screws and bolts so, I could loose a few. The instructions are very complete but, you have to have the antenna in your hand to understand exactly what is being said and you really need to follow the instructions. I painted the base and sealed the bottom for water. Other than that, it went together quickly and easily. There are many little things that have been done to make the task of assembly easier. These guys are obviously in tune to the challenges.

The antenna is a 40 meter vertical with a small window on 80 meters. Mine has a 40 meter SWR of 1.5 to 1 across the band if centered. Mine is skewed to 7100 so it is 1.7 to 1 at 7290 and 1.3 to 1 at 7010. One to one in most of the center of 40 meters. I get a 2 to 1 SWR bandwidth of 40 kHz on 80 meters centered on 3562. My internal tuner spreads this some but, the sides of the curve are very steep. The antenna will work on most bands with a broad range tuner but, it was not designed to do that. Lowering the output power will do the same thing.

The antenna seems to work very well. I have a lot of buried radials and get great reports with 100 watts. I donít flinch at adding more power if needed and the antenna can take it. I asked a lot of questions and the Bencher folk are very helpful. You just canít find a better vertical.

7K1MAG Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical !  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's easy to build up by myself due to its light weight. So it does not collapse in the strong wind like typhoon.
It performs very good on all season long. I add both 160 & 30m option that works well. I can get 24 entity on 160m and 59 entity on 80m with 50watts. I can get latest Clipperton only on 80m!
I use 4 radials each on 30 & 40m and 2 radials each on 80 & 160m. Bandwidth on 160m is about 20kHz and bottom of SWR varies around 10kHz from winter to summer, its the only shortcoming of this antenna.

OH5YU Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2012 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Durable, reliable, easy to handle, needs no guying  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the HF2V for about 10 years without problems, and it was bought used. It is mounted 5 m (15 ft) high with 4 elevated radials for 40 and 2 for 80 m. As we don't have hurricane strength winds, it needs no guying. It works just as well as you can expect from a vertical this tall and handles 1 kW well. The mechanically simple construction is robust. The antenna does not weigh a lot and it is easy to handle alone without a helping hand. The 30 m option works as specified (note reduced power level there).

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2012 06:39 Send this review to a friend
great 40M dx antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
While this antenna covers 75/80M as well, it really performs well on 40M at low above ground heights. My feedpoint is at 20' with only 2 tuned radials for 40M, and 2 for 75M. In this weekend's SSB WPX test, I worked everything I could hear on 40M SSB from VK/ZL/YB to South America, to EU, AF, Middle East/9K/HZ/etc., using legal limit power.

I supose if physical constraints allowed me to raise feedpoint to at least 40-50', suspect could do about the same on 75/80M.

Been thru several different types of verticals, but this one really performs, and is well constructed, designed. If you want dx on these bands, without putting up a tower, this is the antenna. If not, a wire dipole is of course quieter, cheaper, simpler.

NK8A Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2011 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Work Horse on 40 80 160  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review and it includes 160 meters.Well, I now have good coverage of 40,80,and 160 meters.I added the TBR 160 and with my auto tuner on my radio I can work just about anywhere on 160 CW.I have the HF2v ground mounted with 52 radials underground about 2 inches. The radials average about 30 feet long.I would buy the HF2V again,if this one ever wears out.The HF2V "hears" the best of my antennas and I have had many good DX contacts on 40 meters.

N0JYC Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great News!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review replaces an earlier one. After having this antenna destroyed in the December 2007 Tulsa ice storm I have re-ordered the parts to rebuild it and put it up again. This time we guyed it. I use it for 40m and to my surprise it loads up very well on 15m and blows my Cushcraft R-6000 away on this band. I have no radials layed out. It performs very well on 40m, also, with many DX contacts. I am very happy with it.