Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Butternut HF2V Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut HF2V
Butternut HF2V Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $295
Description: Two Band Vertical Antenna for 80 and 40 meters
More info: http://www.bencher.com/hf2v2.html

You can write your own review of the Butternut HF2V.

K5ND Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Very good vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been running this antenna for two years. Installed a few radials and after about 18 months installed the 30 meter kit. Love the performance on 40 meters. 30 meters is good. 80 ok, no doubt due to limited radials. I run 5 watts and have no trouble working South America and Europe. I recommend this antenna to anyone looking for an excellent vertical for the lower bands.

EI6DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2009 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used HF2V for over a year now and ended up buying another one and an HF6V too. Some guys are saying it is difficult to assemble. I work in contests from a bungalow near sea. Lots of land there but permanent installations are not allowed. Therefore I assemble and install all antennas before contest and take it all down afterwards. It takes me 1.5 hours to arrive at the QTH, set up PC, TRCVR, ACOM and put up my HF2V. Taking it down takes 50 minutes. This includes installing some 30 radials.
As for contests, last CQWW it worked 39 zones SOSB 40 without much effort. K3, 800 and my EI location definitely helped but mainly it should be attributed to HF2V. It is not ideal for working on 160 in contests - bandwidth is just too narrow there. But it did manage 50 countries on 160 last year and I had 5th EU result with it on 80 LP.
Where it really stands out is DXped operations. Lightweight and with 1.0 SWR on 160, 80 and 40 run frequencies it just can't be beaten. Dont forget you need radials for HF2V to work. It survived 80 mph winds and rain here, air trips, ferries, countless packing and unpacking and long drives across the country. I am upgrading now but will keep my HF2V definitely for SO2R and small DXpeditions.
GL! Stan

N6CIC Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2009 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HF2V has been up for several years, and I recently added the 30-meter configuration. I live on the edge of the Mojave Desert so my soil is poor and I have about 20 buried radials of varying length. We have very high winds here and the antenna bends a lot, but has stayed up just fine. Recently I tuned it up after a couple of weeks of very high winds, and could get an SWR of 1.3:1 at the resonance point on 80 mtrs, about 1.1:1 across part of 40 mtrs, and 1.3:1 across the 30 mtr band. If I hear them, I can work them with this antenna and would buy it again.

G0JJG Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Phased HF2V verticals  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put a single HF2V up several years ago. On its own it was better (overall) than an inverted vee at 55 feet. So, I added a second one. After trying 32 foot spacing it was possible to get directivity on 40 and 80 - however the results on 80 were not what I was hoping for.

After this I changed the spacing to 60 feet and concentrated on 80m. Various phasing techniques were used, ending up with a commercial Comtek PVS2 array switch. The results have been great - I only have a small plot and the verticals are un-guyed at the opposite sides of the garden. The earth system is only between the two elements - I have buried as much wire and chicken mesh as possible.

Mechanically they have been trouble free, although on one vertical (the newer of the two) the fibreglass insulator in the centre of the loading coils is becoming worn. If really high winds are forecast I remove the elements from above the coils as there is no chance of guying here. This only involves removing one screw and lifting the tube out - taking just a few minutes.

From a short vertical with low visual impact in limited spaces you can get decent results! NB QTH is around 25 miles from the nearest coast, so ground is fairly average.

W4RL Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2008 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Phasing Two HF2V's on 40 Meters  Time owned: months
I really enjoy my HF2V. Have had it up about 15 years. I do routine maintenance on it, that is cleaning up any oxidation on the vertical joints and grease them with anti oxidant grease in the tube from Lowes. My real success with it here in NW Florida's soil was to drive down about nine 8 ft copper clad ground rods in a symmetrical pattern eight feet apart and all connected with #8 solid copper wire, along with my 25 ground radials. Since then, this antenna really took to life. Tuning the antenna on 40 and 80 meters was so much easier with the MFJ 259 Antenna Analyzer .

Big Question though: Has anyone phased two of these antennas? I have a spare HF2V and would really like to know your experiences with such.

N2DTS Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 11:08 Send this review to a friend
rubust!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works ok, like a good vertical does, different from a dipole, less close in stuff, better sometimes for dx signals.

But the thing has been up in my yard for about 16 YEARS, the trees have grown around/into it, and it has needed nothing done to it, despite getting battered by the trees.

I can say I have put it up about 16 years ago and have done nothing but use it since!

Brett
N2DTS

WA2CCN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Flat out WORKS!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I knew better, I fell into the trap of trying some so-called "no ground verticals". Ya just can't fool Mother Nature! About 15 years ago, I was working some distance from home and purchased a Holiday Rambler "Alumalite" travel trailer to live in during the week, then went home on weekends. To keep busy (and out of trouble!) I ran a Kenwood TS-440S/AT into a Butternut HF6V, using the aluminum body of the trailer as the ground - worked GREAT! So, I went back to Butternut... shame on me for trying some other junk! I've got a Tennadyne 8 el. log for 10-12-15-17-20, and needed an antenna for 30-40-80-160. Lack of big trees precluded runing wire antennas, so the decision to go vertical. I knew that I needed a GOOD ground for the HF2V to do it's thing, but I really didn't relish the task of running radials all over the place. So, I went to Plan-B... I purchased three 50' rolls of 5' high vinyl-coated chicken wire fence, laid one of them across the antenna's base (base in the middle), then cut the other two into 5'x25' pieces and spread them around the base (as trees and shrubs allowed). Then I soldered them all together... maybe 50-60 solder connections... and ran some RG-8 braid (about 8") from the ground lug on the antenna to the chicken-wire base. WOW! What a terrific ground! Tuning is rather sharp - indicating a high "Q" and a really good ground! 2:1 BW covers all of 30 & 40. BW on 80 is about 80-120KHz and about 50-75KHz on 160, depending on where the taps are located.

How does it work? Well, I've got a lot of experience working DX on 40CW, so I can gustimate performance compared to other antennas I've used over the years... dipoles, inverted "V's", verticals, etc., and this antenna is flat-out better than any other 40M DX antenna I've ever used. I routinely break through pile-ups running barefoot (100W). If I can hear it, I can work it. On 75-80M, it's a good DX antenna, but not good for local rag-chewing. I've checked into some rag chew nets within 200-300 miles, and get medoicre reports at best. But (for the first time) I can work Europe on 75 SSB, barefoot (100W), and get 5-9++ reports! The book is still open on 160. BW is so narrow that I can't easily tune aroudn the band digging up QSO's. If I catch someone in my "window", I'm OK. Again, not too good for local, but it does throw a signal out to the 250-400 mile+ range quite acceptably. Note that the mediocre local results have more to do with the low angle of radiation of the vertical then to any fault in the antenna. Also, most of the gang on 75 are low horizontal antennas (dipoles, inverted V's, Zeps, etc., with high radiation angles.

Construction was straight forward, even with the optional coils for 30M & 160M.

Would I buy this antenna again? You bet! In a heartbeat! Good job, Butternut, sorry I didn't put the HF2V up first. Also, for anyone interested, the chickenwire fence ground is fabulous!

73, Hank WA2CCN

KA2RIT Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2007 08:01 Send this review to a friend
160 Meter Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just home brew my HF2V from scratch with aluminum that was given to me. I had a very hard time at first trying to tune, so i bought a MFJ 259B analyzer which tune a breeze. I plan to build lots of other antennas. Anyway just like everyone else has said it is very noisey. First contact with NC was 55 and with Ohio 57. Still needs a bit of tuning.

Ok which brings me to my question for any that has the 160 meter add on kit. Like to know if anyone can tell how many turns are used in the 160 meter coil and if you have any picture of info on how to set it up. I have not located any info about this as of yet. Thanks you help my email is good in qrz ka2rit

73's

W5AJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2007 20:53 Send this review to a friend
nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna will work and work the DX.
easy to put up and tune.
have had the door-knob cap break but replacements can be found on internet or scrap box...

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2007 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Results!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would give a short review of this antenna since I've owned 2 of them along with an HF6V over the last 10 years or so.
I'm currently working on a 40m phased array and after doing some looking around, I've settled on the HF2V as the vertical radiator.
The antenna works very very well for DX. If you do lots of local and regional short-skip QSO's -- this is not the antenna for you. But for longer haul 40 and 80m contacts, this antenna works very well.
Assembly and tuning is relatively easy and straight-forward. The coils are almost indestructable. For better bandwidth, I recommend experimenting with at least a couple top hats.
My only complaint is that compared to a few other manufacturers, the aluminium used is a little more lightweight. In the Caribbean, being so close to the sea, that means that you have to do more maintenance and cleaning. One antenna had all its sections virtually welded together after being installed for maybe 3 years. The coils and the door-knob were fine however. You also have to be careful with the door-knob as it is very very fragile. I have lost one of these over the years when it dropped -- never even got it installed.
All in all, caveats apart, I've had very good performance out of this antenna and look forward to seeing it perform in an array.