Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Butternut HF2V Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut HF2V
Butternut HF2V Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $374.95 USD
Description: Two Band Vertical Antenna for 80 and 40 meters
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/but-hf2v

You can write your own review of the Butternut HF2V.

RK3TD Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2011 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical for 40/80m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this antenna about 2 weeks. Already worked in two contest. It is very good and simple.
What is good? - Very nice SWR on 40m band. Whole band (7000-7200 for Russia) it has SWR better than 1:1.8.
Very simple installation! You can install it without anybody help! It is very light!
Adjustment is simple: by compressing/decompressing coils.
What is not good: Good SWR on 80m is only 70kHz. But it is not bad for me - I am using only CW.
Good Luck!

ZS6RJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Replaced one Butternut with another after 25 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
So here's the thing. I started off at the tender age of 15 with a 6 band Butternut my dad bought me as a present for passing the test. It was big stuff getting one of those imported into Africa in those days! Old timers considered me a spoilt brat! I've been using that antenna at 3 different locations for 25 odd years, until last week when it finally snapped off at the base embedded in concrete. And that was only with the help of someone who backed into it while moving a heavy concrete bird-bath....

That antenna was perfect, except for one small thing - the clamp used for the very top section stripped long before it was tight enough to hold the top piece in place. That stuck in my mind as a kid, 'cause my dad made me wait to operate until he'd gone down to the local hardware store to purchase another clamp. Seemed like he took 5 hours to drive a mile!

Having come to love that antenna as a supplementary to my beams (I worked Peter Island on 30, 40 and 80 CW with it!), I decided to replace it with a brand new HF2V today (mainly for some fun with 40/80 CW DX). It was like taking a trip down memory lane - the packaging was almost identical. I whipped it together tonight and as I was finishing off the top section - you guessed it - the supplied clamp stripped again!!

Far from annoying me, it brought the memories flooding back (and I had spares!) I consider this antenna to be one of America's finest - simple, does the job and who can complain about replacing it after 25 years? Which wasn't strictly necessary - I could have repaired the old one. Great antenna - but c'mon Bencher, for Pete's sake, blow 50 cents on a better quality hose clamp!

VE3XQQ Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for limited spaces  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired this antenna from a fellow ham, he got it from another, who . Well you get the idea; it has been through a few hands. It is now planted in rear of my wee little garden plot. After some reforming of the coils, replacing the nuts and bolts and a general cleaning it went together quite easily.

The antenna went up in fall of 2009 without the top hat or guys and survived a couple of ice storms here in Ottawa, one of which included 80km/hr winds. It did bend without breaking and after a few taps with a tree pruner the ice fell off and it straightened right up again. Then in the spring of 2010 I put on the top hat.

Here is the Final installation:
The 160m kit installed and a homebrew top hat made of three 12.5 foot #16 wires. The ground field is two #16 160 quarter wave radials that follow the perimeter of my property (35X120ft) and house, 4 #16 33ft radials spaced 2 feet apart in an L shape, and finally I threw in 4 quarter inch diameter brass tubes in a fan arrangement with the ends spaced @ 2ft.

The 2:1 band widths:
40m > full band
80 m = 70 kHz
160 m = 17 kHz

Bottom line:
Yes it does work, yes verticals are nosier, yes 80 and 160 are compromises, and yes I am pleased to have TOP BAND capabilities. My rating of 5 is for my situation in a small residential lot, understanding that the laws of physics cannot be broken by mere humans.

Frank
If it ain't broke ... open it up and find out why!!!

K5ND Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Very good vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been running this antenna for two years. Installed a few radials and after about 18 months installed the 30 meter kit. Love the performance on 40 meters. 30 meters is good. 80 ok, no doubt due to limited radials. I run 5 watts and have no trouble working South America and Europe. I recommend this antenna to anyone looking for an excellent vertical for the lower bands.

EI6DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2009 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used HF2V for over a year now and ended up buying another one and an HF6V too. Some guys are saying it is difficult to assemble. I work in contests from a bungalow near sea. Lots of land there but permanent installations are not allowed. Therefore I assemble and install all antennas before contest and take it all down afterwards. It takes me 1.5 hours to arrive at the QTH, set up PC, TRCVR, ACOM and put up my HF2V. Taking it down takes 50 minutes. This includes installing some 30 radials.
As for contests, last CQWW it worked 39 zones SOSB 40 without much effort. K3, 800 and my EI location definitely helped but mainly it should be attributed to HF2V. It is not ideal for working on 160 in contests - bandwidth is just too narrow there. But it did manage 50 countries on 160 last year and I had 5th EU result with it on 80 LP.
Where it really stands out is DXped operations. Lightweight and with 1.0 SWR on 160, 80 and 40 run frequencies it just can't be beaten. Dont forget you need radials for HF2V to work. It survived 80 mph winds and rain here, air trips, ferries, countless packing and unpacking and long drives across the country. I am upgrading now but will keep my HF2V definitely for SO2R and small DXpeditions.
GL! Stan

N6CIC Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2009 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HF2V has been up for several years, and I recently added the 30-meter configuration. I live on the edge of the Mojave Desert so my soil is poor and I have about 20 buried radials of varying length. We have very high winds here and the antenna bends a lot, but has stayed up just fine. Recently I tuned it up after a couple of weeks of very high winds, and could get an SWR of 1.3:1 at the resonance point on 80 mtrs, about 1.1:1 across part of 40 mtrs, and 1.3:1 across the 30 mtr band. If I hear them, I can work them with this antenna and would buy it again.

G0JJG Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Phased HF2V verticals  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put a single HF2V up several years ago. On its own it was better (overall) than an inverted vee at 55 feet. So, I added a second one. After trying 32 foot spacing it was possible to get directivity on 40 and 80 - however the results on 80 were not what I was hoping for.

After this I changed the spacing to 60 feet and concentrated on 80m. Various phasing techniques were used, ending up with a commercial Comtek PVS2 array switch. The results have been great - I only have a small plot and the verticals are un-guyed at the opposite sides of the garden. The earth system is only between the two elements - I have buried as much wire and chicken mesh as possible.

Mechanically they have been trouble free, although on one vertical (the newer of the two) the fibreglass insulator in the centre of the loading coils is becoming worn. If really high winds are forecast I remove the elements from above the coils as there is no chance of guying here. This only involves removing one screw and lifting the tube out - taking just a few minutes.

From a short vertical with low visual impact in limited spaces you can get decent results! NB QTH is around 25 miles from the nearest coast, so ground is fairly average.

W4RL Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2008 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Phasing Two HF2V's on 40 Meters  Time owned: months
I really enjoy my HF2V. Have had it up about 15 years. I do routine maintenance on it, that is cleaning up any oxidation on the vertical joints and grease them with anti oxidant grease in the tube from Lowes. My real success with it here in NW Florida's soil was to drive down about nine 8 ft copper clad ground rods in a symmetrical pattern eight feet apart and all connected with #8 solid copper wire, along with my 25 ground radials. Since then, this antenna really took to life. Tuning the antenna on 40 and 80 meters was so much easier with the MFJ 259 Antenna Analyzer .

Big Question though: Has anyone phased two of these antennas? I have a spare HF2V and would really like to know your experiences with such.

N2DTS Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 11:08 Send this review to a friend
rubust!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works ok, like a good vertical does, different from a dipole, less close in stuff, better sometimes for dx signals.

But the thing has been up in my yard for about 16 YEARS, the trees have grown around/into it, and it has needed nothing done to it, despite getting battered by the trees.

I can say I have put it up about 16 years ago and have done nothing but use it since!

Brett
N2DTS

WA2CCN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Flat out WORKS!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I knew better, I fell into the trap of trying some so-called "no ground verticals". Ya just can't fool Mother Nature! About 15 years ago, I was working some distance from home and purchased a Holiday Rambler "Alumalite" travel trailer to live in during the week, then went home on weekends. To keep busy (and out of trouble!) I ran a Kenwood TS-440S/AT into a Butternut HF6V, using the aluminum body of the trailer as the ground - worked GREAT! So, I went back to Butternut... shame on me for trying some other junk! I've got a Tennadyne 8 el. log for 10-12-15-17-20, and needed an antenna for 30-40-80-160. Lack of big trees precluded runing wire antennas, so the decision to go vertical. I knew that I needed a GOOD ground for the HF2V to do it's thing, but I really didn't relish the task of running radials all over the place. So, I went to Plan-B... I purchased three 50' rolls of 5' high vinyl-coated chicken wire fence, laid one of them across the antenna's base (base in the middle), then cut the other two into 5'x25' pieces and spread them around the base (as trees and shrubs allowed). Then I soldered them all together... maybe 50-60 solder connections... and ran some RG-8 braid (about 8") from the ground lug on the antenna to the chicken-wire base. WOW! What a terrific ground! Tuning is rather sharp - indicating a high "Q" and a really good ground! 2:1 BW covers all of 30 & 40. BW on 80 is about 80-120KHz and about 50-75KHz on 160, depending on where the taps are located.

How does it work? Well, I've got a lot of experience working DX on 40CW, so I can gustimate performance compared to other antennas I've used over the years... dipoles, inverted "V's", verticals, etc., and this antenna is flat-out better than any other 40M DX antenna I've ever used. I routinely break through pile-ups running barefoot (100W). If I can hear it, I can work it. On 75-80M, it's a good DX antenna, but not good for local rag-chewing. I've checked into some rag chew nets within 200-300 miles, and get medoicre reports at best. But (for the first time) I can work Europe on 75 SSB, barefoot (100W), and get 5-9++ reports! The book is still open on 160. BW is so narrow that I can't easily tune aroudn the band digging up QSO's. If I catch someone in my "window", I'm OK. Again, not too good for local, but it does throw a signal out to the 250-400 mile+ range quite acceptably. Note that the mediocre local results have more to do with the low angle of radiation of the vertical then to any fault in the antenna. Also, most of the gang on 75 are low horizontal antennas (dipoles, inverted V's, Zeps, etc., with high radiation angles.

Construction was straight forward, even with the optional coils for 30M & 160M.

Would I buy this antenna again? You bet! In a heartbeat! Good job, Butternut, sorry I didn't put the HF2V up first. Also, for anyone interested, the chickenwire fence ground is fabulous!

73, Hank WA2CCN