Reviews Categories | Ham Repeaters | Kenwood TKR-750 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TKR-750
Kenwood TKR-750 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1500
Description: FM VHF repeater with cw controler build in

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TKR-750.

VE2UM Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2011 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent repeater  Time owned: more than 12 months
We use these repeaters in commercial radio sites. They are great ! Excellent performance, even with less than optimal filtration... Programmation is also a charm. You can set up multiples CTCSS/CDCSS. Audio/control signals are easily accessible via a DB25-F connector. Some I/O's are user configurable.

Only one weak point: The suggested KPS-15 switching power supply is a toaster. Do not use it. However, since the TKR runs on 13,8 volts, it is easy to use just any heavy-duty power supply.

K7JEM Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Best repeater  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have 7 of these repeaters on our linked repeater system, they have been operating flawlessly for 5 years or so. The system is sometimes keyed up for hours on end, with no problems. Audio is fantastic, and it is easy to implement an external controller or accessory.

We have 2 others as stand alone repeaters, and 2 of the TKR-850. They seem as reliable. We have ours set to 25 watts, since they can run nearly constantly in our type of link service. Kenwood rates them at 25 watts continuous, and that seems accurate.

We purchased the 136-150 models, but the higher split should work fine in the ham bands. As others have noted, about the only alignment required is the helical front end in the RX. That takes about 5 minutes to do, but should be done for best sensitivity.

These have a built in DTMF controller, which can be configured to control internal functions, or drive external accessories or relays.

Dealer cost (currently) on these units is just under $1000, so if you find a ham-friendly Kenwood dealer, you might be able to get it for near that price, that's what we do. We pay 10% over cost.

KC9GMH Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 19:54 Send this review to a friend
5 coils on rec front end  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In the front part of the rec there are 5 coils you have to tune with a signal gen. Yes my kenwood was on 155 mhz area. When I was done programing the repeater I checked the rec and it was 1.5uv !wow!.
Then I retuned the coils and got it down to .20uv.
Kenwood makes a great repeater. 73,s KC9GMH
kc9gmh15@yahoo.com

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2008 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Note on VHF splits  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a note regarding the review by KC9GMH, I had a 146- split TKR750 originally on 146.715 (about .24uV) and we refarmed some pairs and when I moved it down to 145.45, sensitivity deteriorated markedly (abt .40uV), put an ARR preamp and brought it back up to speed. Just want to let folks know that hams may be better off getting the low split K2 version, just FYI . . .

Still very happy with the Kenwoods.

KC9GMH Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2008 22:27 Send this review to a friend
great repeater  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The KENWOOD repeater is a 146-174 type and with the software i was able to put it down at 145.230 and tuned the radio. Works great with my cat-200 repeater controller,great audio also.The repeater puts out 35 watts. The rec goes down to .20uv without a preamp.If anyone has a question on the programing on a kenwood tkr-750 or 850 let me know at kc9gmh15@yahoo.com
73's
kc9gmh

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2006 20:20 Send this review to a friend
100% reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have 5 TKR-750's and 4 TKR-850's in two linked repeater networks. All rptrs are 100%, never had to touch them. The Kenwood software is excellent. The 25 pin connector gives you everything you need. We use the Arcom RC210 controllers for all and control the outbound CTCSS tone to drop with inbound tone for simplex like use. The VHF RX's will hear down in the low .20's uV stock! The UHF's are around spec at .35 uV. The only thing I can fault the Kenwood's on is that the audio could pass a little more bass. Clean, crisp audio otherwise. For abt $1600 with the controller, you can't go wrong - this is from a guy who loved to spend hours and hours tinkering with old MastrII's. No more :-)

N4FND Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2004 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Great repeater  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had the Kenwood TKR-750 on the air for about 18 months and have not had any problems. Programmed repeater the on the bench and installed on site it has worked great without any changes. I agree the comment about purchasing the Kenwood TKR-750 instead of building a repeater from parts.

KB5TBB Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2003 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Great value.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Stop fooling around with converting twenty year old mobile rigs into repeaters when you can purchase a brand new one for less than $1500. There are cheaper models on the market, but the TKR-750 is a great deal considering your getting a quality commercial product from Kenwood. I have seen many of these in faithful service of police and fire departments throughout the area. One of my key reasons for purchasing them (I have two) is the intermod rejecting is great. They are easily programmed and interfaced with a wide variety of repeater controllers.