Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 153 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_6_band.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

W7GEM Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2017 18:19 Send this review to a friend
My first Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have two 6BTVs. I had one for my back yard and one for field trips. They work and are better transmitting than receiving antennas. Way too noisy and narrow bandwidth. Easy to rig a 17 meter addition which I often used with good results. If you have a big lot and room for all of the radials, it can be an excellent vertical antenna but not as good as any decent dipole setup. For field trips...takes a looong time to put in enough radials. I have a nice pipe rack on my truck. so I can mount it about 6 feet off the ground and it does work better there.

K1LEM Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2017 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Great and Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am rewriting this review because the other had typos. I have had the 5 BTV ground mounted for about 2 weeks. So far with 450-500 watts I score 19-20 db out of noise even on 80 meters, where of course the short physical length make the antenna less effective.
The great reviews I have read about this little antenna certainly are real. Last night one cq on low end 40, I am heard from Ireland to the Southern Island of New Zealand. You can be that.

KG5RJR Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my FIRST vertical and I've LOVED every minute of having it on the Air so far. Tuning it was a bit of an ADVENTURE but with some help from Elmer's in the area got it on the air and have worked 80-10.

I do have plans to obtain the ADD ON band kits to add additional bands to this as well.

Used DX Engineerings Omni Tilt, makes bringing it down in bad weather GREAT! Also would recommend their Choke and Radial Plate for this.

W3JRD Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2017 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Results  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm a new ham, and I did a lot of research before buying my first HF antenna. I settled on the 6btv because of the value and multi-band performance. I am not disappointed. I purchased the tilt base and radial plate from dx. The Hustler is installed at ground level (plate on a wooden 4x4 in concrete) with about 31 random length radials. I found that 4 radials got me on the air; 20 radials was outstanding; when I went to 40 radials, I actually saw higher SWR and reduced band performance. I'm back down to 31 radials and have no plans to add more.

Even with these poor conditions (so I'm told... new, remember), I have made almost two-hundred, solid contacts over the last few weeks. This includes many DX contacts as well. Now, the antenna is a bit 'noisy' at times, but I think that is to be expected with the vertical polarization. I usually hear stations just fine above the noise floor.

I have limited options for a dipole/doublet until I convince the neighbors to allow me to use their trees.

Oh, one last note... When I first assembled the antenna and installed it (followed the instructions exactly), the antenna was resonant on the low portion (sometimes below) the 6 bands. Also, SWR was high. I disassembled, cleaned the mast connections w/a scotch brite pad, applied connective grease, and re-assembled as short as possible. Since then, I get everything on 20, and 40. 80m is narrow, but I get what I need to be satisfied. Haven't tried the other bands, but they show SWR <2.2:1 across the entire band.

Highly reccomend!!!

AMLANC Rating: 1/5 Feb 12, 2017 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Stinks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It was my very first HF antenna. Don't know if I had a bad piece or not but it sucks really bad. It's ground mounted and the soil quality is pretty good, I have 4 radials. But still the reception is very poor and noise floor is more like a ceiling. I bought a CrankIR portable and it's a 1000x better antenna although it's just a tiny portable and gets a lot lot more stations in. Complete waste of $200

KB0MQV Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2017 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am new to HF and I needed a way to get on the air, small yard and power lines on two sides, a wild work pattern and winter breathing down my neck. I read the reviews and a Elmer's input, I decided on this vertical. I love it.

I have and odd soil in my area and I use no radials. I'm getting 5-9's.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Every ham should have one  Time owned: more than 12 months
8 years and still performing. Resonant on all except 75/80 meters but the manual tuner solves that with ease. I've used it with and without ground radials and did not really make a big difference.
All in all a very good performer, very very low maintenance required.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
works perfect... 8 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ran across a couple reviews, so here's mine.
Ground mounted 100 ft. From my house.
6ft. Pipe shoved into the ground with my tractor.
10 ft copper ground rod.
2 raidials per band, cut to length.
Additional 30, 25 ft raidials.
Used only for cw, and digital (psk, rtty,olivia)on a dedicated Kenwood TS2K. Dedicated computer. Pictures of station on QRZ.
Have WAS digital 9000 plus and counting.
Take a peak at Eqsl.
73 ke4ex

N8FQX Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2016 17:20 Send this review to a friend
6 BTV Installlation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
many owners of the 5-btv and 6 btv are saying the same thing that I've experienced. Ground mounted with as many radials as you can fit does a great job. Try to avoid underground AC power and cable wires as these will cause noise on some bands.
It took me about 2 weeks to put out the radials which turned out to be around 550 feet total but it was worth it.

KE2RR Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2016 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Ground mounted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed this last week and without ground radials, it was working great on all bands. 80 is very narrow, 40 is super, 10, 15 and 20, all about the same. 1.1 to 2.6 SWRs. Worked all over Europe and Africa, from Germany in the first 3 hours. Worked into the states, from Germany with a good report of 5/5, not bad for 100 watts, ground mounted. Hope to get radials installed soon. Followed the instructions, took less than a hour to put together and 15 min. to put up. Hardest thing was driving in the pole 6 ft into the ground.