Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 149 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_6_band.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

KE7MU Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Not Great, not even good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this up almost a year, and have used it very little. Maybe I am spoiled, my other antennas are an inverted Vee at 30 feet apex and an 80 meter full wave loop also at 30 feet. The loop is 3 or more S units better than this vert. I must say the 6BTV is a compromise antenna pretty much useless comparatively. I was hoping for a low angle radiation, but all bands and almost every time I get on the air, the other two antennas outperform the Vert. I am not sure now what to do with it. Perhaps if I only use it on my Motorhome ( parked of course ) it would perform better than a screwdriver. Funny thing is the radials are all tuned and SWR less than 3:1 on all bands.

WB0BBC Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2015 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I assembled a new Hustler 6BTV and used the DX Engineering tilt base and radial plate. Installation using the DX Engineering instructions was clear and performed over 2 days.

The radial plate made radial installation easy. I purchased additional ground staples to hold the 14 gauge radial wire into the hard, rocky Florida soil.

After some minimal tuning adjustments, the antenna hears and radiates quite well. I've been working worldwide on 80 through 10 meters using a 100 watt transceiver. It performs MUCH better than my previous 53 ft. end fed Zepp.

When storms threaten it's easy to tilt the antenna down. I expect this antenna to give me many years of good service.

Next I want to add the 17 meter kit and additional 32 ft. radials.

N6PAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Who needs a beam?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my ticket 2007-04-11 but didn't get on the air until 2012-09-04 due to business and family obligations so I've been using the 6BTV for about 2 1/2 years now.

This antenna is absolutely incredible! Built solid, it handles high winds without any problems.I have it ground mounted with about 50 radials and guyed with 4 nylon cords. Included is the tilt base , 12 and 17 meter add on kits and the 80 meter heavy duty resonator.

I never run more than 400 watts but the results are amazing!

So far 244 countries, DXCC on 7 bands, WAS with just 5 watts, many QSO's with DXpeditions that other ops running max power into huge beams couldn't get.

I've made contacts all over the world with this antenna but the icing on the cake was when I broke thru the mega pileups for Navassa Island on 6 different bands (10,15,17,20,40,80) while running only 200 to 400 watts! Check the K1N log on Clublog if you don't believe me. I also snagged QSO's on several different bands for the TI9/3Z9DX Cocos Island DXpedition.

Some interesting QSO's with this antenna include

K1N Navassa Island 6 bands - #1 most wanted phone in Clublog at the time of my QSO's
TI9/3Z9DX Cocos Island 3 bands
HV0A Vatican City 4 bands
(RI1ANU, RI1ANC, KC4AAA) Antarctica 4 bands
XR0YY Easter Island 5 bands
TX5K Clipperton Island 5 bands

And many, many more

I just don't understand why anyone would go thru the expense, time and work to put up a huge beam when they can get an antenna like this for a fraction of the cost. Another benefit is that this antenna is so small it's not even visible from the front of my house and can be taken down in minutes. I don't have to worry about offending the neighbors with a big ugly hunk of metal high in the sky.

So if you're considering putting up an expensive tower and beam I strongly encourage you to check out this antenna first. No need to dig up your yard, pour concrete and have a dozen guys help you. I put this together in a couple of hours and installed in by myself without any problems at all. I doubt I'll ever put up a beam. I'm having way to much fun with this little vertical!! I get a real charge knowing I can get contacts that ops with super expensive setups can't get.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Very good performer if you put a good radial system under it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 4BTV about 40 years ago and installed it on the roof of my house with two tuned radials per band. It was a superb antenna. About 6 years ago, I acquired another. This one I have ground mounted, with at least 50 radials under the grass, for a total of 1000 feet of wire. I also have two chain link fences and a copper underground water line hooked into the ground system. I do have the 80 meter resonator, and it works so-so, about 10 to 15db less than a dipole. I also added a 17 meter and 30 meter full length 1/4 wave wires alongside the vertical for those bands. The antenna will rate about a 4.6 out of five and I have made a lot of dx contacts with it. No doubt, based on my previous experience, it would work even better elevated off the ground with tuned radials, well above the ground clutter. But as a ground mounted system, provided you install a suitable number of radials, it will work well. My radials are under the grass and are NOT tuned, since on or under the ground radials can not be actually tuned, because of the detuning effect f the ground. They need to be at least as long as the antenna is tall. If you elevate the base of the antenna off the gound, then you will be forced to tune the length of the radials. I can switch back and forth between this antenna and a 135 foot balanced feedline fed dipole at 45 feet, and sometimes the wire is stronger, depending on the band and distance. The 80/75 meter resonator works, but is generally a very poor radiator, being a good 15db less than the full sized dipole on 75 meters. The antenna is easy to tune and install and is very rugged. It is a time proven system.

N4JLR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Great performance for a ground mounted 6 band vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna about 8 months ago from DX-engineering as well as the Radial mounting kit and tilt over mount. This antenna is resonant, mid band (for my General Operating Class), on all the 6 Bands it covers. It tunes without a tuner on 10,20,40, and 3900 Mhz of 80Meters. I can also use my Dentron to easily bring in 15 meters and cover most of the 80 meter band. Great performance for a vertical but found it does work best ground mounted with 40 radials. I used 4 radials each cut to 10,20,40,& 80 meters, with the rest of the radials cut to the 20 meter band length (about 62.4 ft) Being in an HOV antenna restricted area, this antenna is a godsend. Being also in a Hurricane area, I can bring it down via the tilt mount in about 2 minutes. It also helps greatly in tuning the traps for resonance. No climbing necessary. Can work anyone I can hear. and I can hear very weak signals due to the DSP technology of my Transceiver. Constantly get 59+ great audio signal reports. What more can you ask for. Very pleased with the price and the performance.

KE5WIQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2014 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Great 1st Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 6BTV, later adding 17M then 160M. Bandwidth is limited for 80M, and even more so for my implementation of 160M, but that is just not a problem when tuning is well placed for desired operation. When I started in the hobby I set out to learn CW so I tuned for the lower end of the bands. Now I do mainly CW and data. Occasionally I get on SSB - when I do I switch out the whips for 80M and 160M.

This antenna won't work miracles, but it is a very good jack of all trades and therefore a very good choice for 1st antenna. Be sure to lay a good radial field. I got mine from DX Engineering and got their tilt base and radial plate with it. See my QRZ page to see how 160M was implemented. I recommend this antenna. You won't do as well as a beam or high dipoles, but short of that this plays well indeed.

VK6SMK Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this antenna and all required hardware from DX Engineering May 2013. Having now used it all for a while I thought it good to share the results.
First of all the service from DXE was brilliant, from design and parts required through to the info one receives with the antenna. I would not hesitate to pay the extra freight to Oz and use these guys again.
The antenna only has 20 radials but cut to 1/4 wavelength. It is only off 3 sides of the antenna due to my location,(See my QRZ page if you want to see what I mean). The ability to put it up and down using the DXE tilt over plate keeps the neighbours happy.
The performance is superb, I was using 100W for a while and worked around 70 countries but once using 400W it has helped a fair bit. Over 100 countries in 10 months.
I get good signal reports back from the USA and on one occasion was told I was the loudest signal on 20M.
The build quality of the antenna is great as are the stainless steel plates and fixings from DXE. The sea air 500M away has not corroded it one bit. I cant say the same for some outdoor lights put up at the same time.
I did put a wooden rod inside the bottom section as read online, to prevent extra stress on the antenna in high wind. Its probably not needed as it gets tilted regularly but then again maybe it does to provide extra strength when tilting? You choose but I recommend it either way.
Overall I am extremely pleased with this whole setup right down to the PL259's a complete service and a great result. Hope to work you on the air sometime, thanks for reading my ramblings.
Steve VK6SMK

KE8CQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Happy with the 6BTV  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the Hustler 6-BTV and ground mounted it using the DX Engineering radial plate and tilt base. Following the directions, I did have to make small trap adjustments to get it tuned where I wanted it to tune. The best advice is to determine the best location you can and install lots of radials. I used the SS plate and went to home depot and found that you really need two rolls of 500 ft. black #12/14 stranded copper wire with a PVC coating. I have about 60 radials varying in length from 16 to 48 feet as anything longer put me into the next property owner's space. I installed my radials in December 2012 just before the first snowfall and used the DX engineering wire staples (300) of them or you can use electric fence wire and cut your own stables cheaper. Once the spring hit, the grass completely covered the radials and I have yet to find or hit a radial with the mower. Then a small flower bed using concrete pavers was installed and it softens the look in the yard. I used a standard water pipe and three ground rods spaced out in a triangle pattern to create a decent RF ground. The antenna is fed with buried LMR-400 coax. The results have been pretty impressive using 100 watts. On one opening I was able to work out about 5600 miles on 10-15-20 meters to the same DX stations. 30 meter digital work from VK6, JH, RU, ZS, PP, etc. My only complaint would be 75-100kc on 80m. However, I expected the narrowness on the 80 meter band so I purchased a second whip for $8 than is cut for the phone portion of 75m. Additionally, I used the DX engineering guy rings and parachute cord and the antenna is still standing after these MW storms with winds in the 30-60 mph range lasting 14 hours. All in all, I plan to keep this antenna and use it at the HOA restricted home out west as well. I highly recommend this vertical antenna.

K2CZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for a out three years. It is ground mounted with about 40 radials. More or less 25 feet long. I used garden staples to embed them in the grass. I have a coax balun at the antenna and run the buried rg8au cable to the house. Before the coax enters the house, I have another coax balun.
To the antenna I added two PVC. Extensions at right angles a at from the antenna. At the base I added a clamp and a strip if aluminum extending from the base. ( this is difficult to describe; so later this afternoon I will post photos at my k2cz.com site). Between the PVC and aluminum I run resonant wires for 17 and 12 meters.
So my antenna covers 80 through 10 meters no tuner required. Yes 80 is too narrow for my liking as it is easy to get used to jumping from band to band without the worry of Swr issues.
So being a engineer, I count. This year, and there is still 2 1/2 months left I have worked about 135 countries on both cw and Ssb. This is without trying or studying the dx sheets and staying up all hours of the day and night. I would say most of these stations I work without the kick from my sb200 amp.
I like this antenna so much I have second one i used for past field days etc.

K9RSO Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a 6BTV kit from DX Engineering. Finally got it up and running. Am very happy with this Vertical. Made QSO's with JA,CE, and YV easily! Put in 60 25 foot radials. Tuned the antenna for operation in the Digital bands. However tuned antenna at end of a 125 foot coax and not as indicated in the instructions.