Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 144 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

KE5WIQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2014 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Great 1st Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 6BTV, later adding 17M then 160M. Bandwidth is limited for 80M, and even more so for my implementation of 160M, but that is just not a problem when tuning is well placed for desired operation. When I started in the hobby I set out to learn CW so I tuned for the lower end of the bands. Now I do mainly CW and data. Occasionally I get on SSB - when I do I switch out the whips for 80M and 160M.

This antenna won't work miracles, but it is a very good jack of all trades and therefore a very good choice for 1st antenna. Be sure to lay a good radial field. I got mine from DX Engineering and got their tilt base and radial plate with it. See my QRZ page to see how 160M was implemented. I recommend this antenna. You won't do as well as a beam or high dipoles, but short of that this plays well indeed.
VK6SMK Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this antenna and all required hardware from DX Engineering May 2013. Having now used it all for a while I thought it good to share the results.
First of all the service from DXE was brilliant, from design and parts required through to the info one receives with the antenna. I would not hesitate to pay the extra freight to Oz and use these guys again.
The antenna only has 20 radials but cut to 1/4 wavelength. It is only off 3 sides of the antenna due to my location,(See my QRZ page if you want to see what I mean). The ability to put it up and down using the DXE tilt over plate keeps the neighbours happy.
The performance is superb, I was using 100W for a while and worked around 70 countries but once using 400W it has helped a fair bit. Over 100 countries in 10 months.
I get good signal reports back from the USA and on one occasion was told I was the loudest signal on 20M.
The build quality of the antenna is great as are the stainless steel plates and fixings from DXE. The sea air 500M away has not corroded it one bit. I cant say the same for some outdoor lights put up at the same time.
I did put a wooden rod inside the bottom section as read online, to prevent extra stress on the antenna in high wind. Its probably not needed as it gets tilted regularly but then again maybe it does to provide extra strength when tilting? You choose but I recommend it either way.
Overall I am extremely pleased with this whole setup right down to the PL259's a complete service and a great result. Hope to work you on the air sometime, thanks for reading my ramblings.
Steve VK6SMK
KE8CQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Happy with the 6BTV  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the Hustler 6-BTV and ground mounted it using the DX Engineering radial plate and tilt base. Following the directions, I did have to make small trap adjustments to get it tuned where I wanted it to tune. The best advice is to determine the best location you can and install lots of radials. I used the SS plate and went to home depot and found that you really need two rolls of 500 ft. black #12/14 stranded copper wire with a PVC coating. I have about 60 radials varying in length from 16 to 48 feet as anything longer put me into the next property owner's space. I installed my radials in December 2012 just before the first snowfall and used the DX engineering wire staples (300) of them or you can use electric fence wire and cut your own stables cheaper. Once the spring hit, the grass completely covered the radials and I have yet to find or hit a radial with the mower. Then a small flower bed using concrete pavers was installed and it softens the look in the yard. I used a standard water pipe and three ground rods spaced out in a triangle pattern to create a decent RF ground. The antenna is fed with buried LMR-400 coax. The results have been pretty impressive using 100 watts. On one opening I was able to work out about 5600 miles on 10-15-20 meters to the same DX stations. 30 meter digital work from VK6, JH, RU, ZS, PP, etc. My only complaint would be 75-100kc on 80m. However, I expected the narrowness on the 80 meter band so I purchased a second whip for $8 than is cut for the phone portion of 75m. Additionally, I used the DX engineering guy rings and parachute cord and the antenna is still standing after these MW storms with winds in the 30-60 mph range lasting 14 hours. All in all, I plan to keep this antenna and use it at the HOA restricted home out west as well. I highly recommend this vertical antenna.
K2CZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for a out three years. It is ground mounted with about 40 radials. More or less 25 feet long. I used garden staples to embed them in the grass. I have a coax balun at the antenna and run the buried rg8au cable to the house. Before the coax enters the house, I have another coax balun.
To the antenna I added two PVC. Extensions at right angles a at from the antenna. At the base I added a clamp and a strip if aluminum extending from the base. ( this is difficult to describe; so later this afternoon I will post photos at my site). Between the PVC and aluminum I run resonant wires for 17 and 12 meters.
So my antenna covers 80 through 10 meters no tuner required. Yes 80 is too narrow for my liking as it is easy to get used to jumping from band to band without the worry of Swr issues.
So being a engineer, I count. This year, and there is still 2 1/2 months left I have worked about 135 countries on both cw and Ssb. This is without trying or studying the dx sheets and staying up all hours of the day and night. I would say most of these stations I work without the kick from my sb200 amp.
I like this antenna so much I have second one i used for past field days etc.
K9RSO Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a 6BTV kit from DX Engineering. Finally got it up and running. Am very happy with this Vertical. Made QSO's with JA,CE, and YV easily! Put in 60 25 foot radials. Tuned the antenna for operation in the Digital bands. However tuned antenna at end of a 125 foot coax and not as indicated in the instructions.
WX2S Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 19:39 Send this review to a friend
DXCC? You bet!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got a 6BTV kit from DX Engineering and am very pleased. Completed DXCC with 110 watts. It survived Hurricane Sandy without guys.

My one gripe is that the 80 meter resonator will not handle full legal limit. Found the SWR shooting up after about 30 seconds key down.

Definitely consider this antenna if you need a semi-stealth installation or can't put up a beam for other reasons.
NR1D Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2012 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Good, but has fixes to do double duty on 80 meters.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the 6BTV for about 6 months. While it doesn't hear as well as my loop, it transmits well (field is 16/80 meter and 24/40 meter radials). I was bothered by the narrow band width of 80 meters, I really needed the extra portion of 80 cw, but also wanted the 75 (~3790Khz) phone section. To make this a reality, I added an 80 meter Hustler resonator to the top of the antenna with the factory resonator in place (using a VP-1 multi-resonator mount).
This really screwed up 40 meters due to the loading on top of the antenna with two 80 meter loading coils. The fix was adding a 3/8 inch mounted stinger (stolen from a ham stick) to the open mounting position of the VP-1 (it has three).
I needed about 18 inches of extra length to get the 6BVT to resonate on 40 meters. Yea, its a bit more narrow, but the 40 phone section is picked up with the 40 meter full wave loop. Well worth the experiment.
FYI: You will need to guy this if ground mounting due to the extra wind catchers above (rock and roll).
KW1ND Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2012 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for over 4 years, with no problems. Purchased from the good people at DX Engineering; I use their radial plate and a homebrewed tilt base - both are quite handy. I added 20+ radials, ranging from 13 feet (stopped by a fence) to around 30 feet; being on the ground, they're non-resonant anyway so length doesn't matter much. I had to follow DXE's instructions on adjusting the traps at installation time to get resonance on several bands, but they told me it was likely due to my better-than-average radial field (the antenna is manufactured to still operate over less than ideal grounds, though less efficiently).

I recently did the DIY mod of adding 12m & 17m vertical wires, suspended by a horizontal 1/2 inch electrical (gray) PVC pipe, 24 inches long, zip-tied just below the 20m trap, evenly balanced to each side. Small diameter Dacron rope suspends each wire down to another 24" PVC pipe acting as a spreader, where the wires connect via a copper lug to the coax connection screw. Using a RIG Expert AA-54 analyzer, I had to lengthen the 10m section by 8 inches & the 15m by a couple inches, to bring they & the upper bands back into resonance. I had cut the 12 & 17m wires long by several inches, expecting to have to cut them, but they were so broad-banded I never had touch them, each being around 1.3:1 across each band. Clearly, it's one of those things I should have done long ago, but I just recently got the analyzer. All in all, very happy with the antenna and DX Engineering. 4 stars for New-Tronics for not making these super simple mods to this antenna right out of the box.
N4WSH Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2012 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me say I've owned 2 Gap Titan DX antenna's and I've been extremely pleased with them. Recently I move to an area where I cannot have the counterpoise a few feet off the ground, nor elevate the Gap Titan high enough so no one runs into it. (I still have the Titan DX but it is boxed up) The result of not being able to use my beloved Titan DX is I need a somewhat straight vertical antenna. I narrowed my choices down to the Butternut HF9V or the Hustler 6BTV. After reading the reviews, (pros and cons) I went with the 6BTV and one of the main reasons was DX Engineering. The 60 page .pdf I downloaded about this antenna, it's set up and the additional goodies that you can purchase, especially their tilt base was the main reason I was swayed. So how does it work? I followed the instructions to a "T", and laid down the bare minimum of 20, 20 ft radials. My first night back on air (after checking my antenna match which was very good by the way with out a gazillion adjustments) I made a contact in Aruba on 40 meters, and then shortly after a New Zealand contact at 10:15 pm CST on 20 meters, both at 80 watts. I haven't messed much with 80 meters, but I'm still tweaking the antenna for that band. Is this the "best" vertical antenna? well, as I started my review I have to admit I'm very partial to my Gap Titan DX, but I'm also very pleased with this antenna too. Lastly, I cannot say enough good thongs about DX Engineering. These guys have been GREAT to work with and have always been very helpful in answering my questions regarding my purchase. So, just my 2 cents on this antenna and who I purchased it from
WD9F Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2012 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my 6BTV from DX Engineering. Their installation / tuning directions are outstanding. You MUST follow their directions precisely. Read them three time and then again step by step. No short cuts. If you install and tune this antenna exactly as instructed over a good radial field it will perform very well for you. Mine is ground mounted with 60 radials. Installation and tuning takes time. For me it was two full days, checking and double checking everything. You need the tilt base and an antenna tuner too. I can't imagine doing it without those two things... and if you don't have a thorough understanding of resonance, SWR and how a trap vertical works, enlist the help of an Elmer who does. 73!