Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Island Keyer 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Island Keyer 2
Island Keyer 2 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $33
Description: A contest keyer with 54 memories.
More info: http://jacksonharbor.home.att.net/ik2.htm

You can write your own review of the Island Keyer 2.

W2UP Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Update to earlier review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this keyer for a number of years now. Before the 10m contest, I unplugged my paddle to make some config changes for the contest. After the contest, when I plugged the paddle back in, it was dead.

I sent Chuck, Wb9KZY, an email asking for some troubleshooting tips, and he responded almost immediately. After several days and no success, Chuck said, "Just send it back. Only charge will be parts."

Within 24 hours of Chuck receiving it, he had it fixed and no charge - it was a ground trace that opened up on the board, possibly from a static charge when I unplugged the paddle (I recall a spark jumping at that time.)

How's that for service?! Besides a great price, this keyer has more features than just about any other keyer out there. As they say on Wall St, I reiterate my STRONG BUY recommendation :.)

K8AEX Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2007 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This keyer is not only easy to build but out performs my transceiver built in keyer. I have been a cw operator for 45 years and have used various bugs and keyers but none can come close to the code generation of this one!

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2006 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered and built the unit with the optional six gang switch and KEYALL MOFSET accessories. After purchasing the keyer directly from Chuck, I purchased the supplementary hardware for it that is sold by Morse Express. Morse Express makes no provision in their instructions for the the addtional accesssories, but I had no trouble placing everything snugly in their black project box. I then labeled everything with a Casio label printer with white on clear tape. It is very compact and looks and works great. The memory is huge. The only drawback I can think of is applicable to those of us with arthritis and nerve damage in our sending hand. You have to totally erase a lengthy message you are recording and start from the beginning if you make an error.

I consulted Chuck during the building process. He was very responsive and made numerous useful suggestions. The build (including drilling and labelling the project box, etc.) took me about ten hours. I am a slow builder because I print off all CD instructions, bind them in spiral binders for building and future reference, and read them several times before I commence work.

It is a lot of keyer for the money and designed by a great guy. It is wonderful for portable use.

As a Chicagoan of more than 30 years may I say: "GO DETROIT TIGERS"!!!!

73 de Dick, K8RBW

KT5X Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2004 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Best keyer at any price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This keyer offers more features, more memories and more programmable aspects than any keyer I have found. It has all the features of the famous and fine Super-Keyer III and then some at a fraction of the price. Chuck, you do great work! P.S. I love your "Son-of-Zerobeat" visual CW zero-beat device, too!

WB4CVZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2003 19:54 Send this review to a friend
A Very Good Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the kit a few days after I ordered it. It went together very easily in a few hours. Everything else required to complete the keyer is easily obtained from Mouser Electronics or other sources. The keyer is easy to program and a lot of fun to play with!

K8AC Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2002 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Nothing like it for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As usual, Morse Express had the package on my doorstep in a couple of days. The keyer worked the first time I inserted the batteries and has a most impressive collection of features. I really like the small Radio Shack "stick" box, as it allows me to sit the keyer beside the keying lever for easy access to the memory buttons. The buttons supplied as part of the hardware kit appear to be the good old Radio Shack units with the red buttons, as used on many MFJ pieces. Those can be intermittent at times, but you can fix that by creating a small slot in the black plastic body with a Dremel tool, and then squirting some DeOxit into the inside through the slot. The documentation and construction tips that comes with the keyer kit is well done and complete.

By the way, you really don't need the two miniature pots mentioned to control the keyer weight and sidetone frequency as those are setable via key-entered commands. If you decide you really need the pots, I found that Radio Shack carries a miniature screwdriver-adjust 100K pot that fits on the board perfectly and the cost is just over a dollar per pot.

AE5X Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2002 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this kit from Morse Express and had it two days later. Built it in a few hours and installed it in a metal case. I also ordered the hardware kit containing the off-board parts: speed pot, memory switches, piezo speaker, battery holder and jacks. I had to replace 1 of the six switches with others from Radio Shack as it made intermittent contact when closed. Other than that, this is an excellent keyer and far, far surpasses the TiCK I'd been using. Can't wait to put it to the real test in this weekend's CQWW contest.

John AE5X
Outdoor QRP & 80m DXing: http://www.ae5x.com

AA1BW Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2002 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Just fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the kit about 6 weeks ago. It was here in Hungary in 2 weeks. Put it together in 4 hours including a custom made cabinet. It is just fantastic. I like CW, and it just does all I need. I played for days with the memories, but I just could not fill all with data. I got to like it so much, that ordered another one, and this one is also finished, put into a very small compact cabinet for backpacking, contesting. This is so far the best keyer I have ever seen. Considering the price, you can not beet it.