Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II
MFJ-948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$119.00
Description: 300 Watt fixed inductor tuner/4 pos antenna switch with tuned/untuned option/cross needle meter

You can write your own review of the MFJ-948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II.

WB6OUE Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2017 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Good quality tuner.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this tuner sixteen years ago. When I opened the box the power/swr meter was laying inside the case. There was a screw that held the cover on that was way to long, and it had shorted out one of the capacitors. , After installing a right size screw and epoxying the meter back into its opening the tuner has worked perfect ever since then.

I am contemplating on buying a new tuner that will accept 1,500 watts or more. The newest auto tuners by MFJ look pretty good, or I can just byte the bullet and get a "Palstar". I don't know which way I will go yet.

LISTENER007 Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2015 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this one for over 10 years now and it does the job. That's all I've ever asked of it. No fuss, no frills, it just does its job and no more, certainly no less. Even plugged into transceivers with their own built in tuner, I prefer to use the 948. It has far more reach in adjustment. The Inductor selector is a bit soft on feel and you sort of have to make sure you got it into the position correctly in certain parts of the dials 360 degrees at times but I know this unit like the back of my hand so there's no problem here...

I have a list of presets at different frequencies, so usually it takes but a few extra seconds to get right into the groove each time I get ready. I just love seeing that "Reflected" needle hardly moving at all or only just moving. It makes me think it's all worth while each time I tune up...

Excellent stuff..!!!

NZ5L Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2013 10:43 Send this review to a friend
CAN be a good buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also picked up one of these at a recent 'fest, for a very attractive price. The meter was usable for general indications. More seriously, it didn't tune! The old QC devil seems to pop up often with some MFJ models. In this case, the problem was in the inductor switch contacts. The inductor was not making contact on some positions, rendering it of very limited utility (and is why I got a good price, I'm sure). Fortunately, I was able to correct this, and am presently using it at the 100W level - the maximum practical limit, despite the spec. Most rigs have a usable digital meter nowdays, so the meter accuracy is not terribly important (but nce to have with older or portable gear).
If you buy one, be prepared to work with it. It might turn out to be a good deal for you. Or, get it brand-new and return if unsatisfactory. It is still true: You get what you pay for!

K3HVG Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2013 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Better than nothing?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a used in-the-box unit at a local hamfest. Both meter movements were not zeroed and it took a lot of trial and error to bring them to a reasonable zero position. The static and mechanical interactions with the plastic case are positively horrible. I can only hope that what I ended up with will stay put. I will use it at power levels well below the rated (sic) power as there is no way it will support 300 watts. Once again, MFJ has lived up to their alternate name.... M-F-J.

KD8TZC Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Works good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great, just slow because it is manual. Never had a problem with mine though and if I needed a manual tuner, I would buy one again.

KR4OW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Does as Advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for 6 years now.
This tuner has done everything I needed it to.
This including odd antnennas at field day sites.
Have had up to 200 watts in the unit without a problem.
Just follow the book and avoid the wire lengths they say. And you will be fine.
The Meters work well.
Oh it take a good beating to. been dropped a couple of times at field day.

KK4BAX Rating: 0/5 Nov 28, 2012 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Unusable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My tuner is second hand and this should be born in mind, however the unit is clean and clearly has seen little use (you will see why below). The fatal issue arises from component quality, causing it to be unusable.
The shafts of both capacitors were loose in the bushings allowing the shafts to rock resulting in rotor/stator contact. This is NOT a wear issue, it is simply truly horrible quality parts. I managed to slip thin strips of plastic into the gap between the shaft(s) and the bushing(s) which reduced the rocking enough so that after a session with a bright light, a continuity tester and a Exacto knife to gently bend the rotor vanes as necessary, the capacitors are now free from contact. I would not attempt to run at 300W though.

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 08:54 Send this review to a friend
What problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had 2 or 3 MFJ tuners over the years, and have yet had one let me down. They've been mobile with me using a Hustler mobile system, used on Field Day with a wide variety of antenna types and operators, and I've still use one here in the shack. I've never had a problem with any of them. Are the best tuner out there capable of handling high power? Of course not. There are a lot better tuners in the market. However, from my experience they do exactly what they've been designed to do. I don't ask it to do something it wasn't meant to do, nor try and run high power through it. I know that the MFJ company has produced some poorly finished products, but my experience with their tuners has been nothing but positive for my useage. Would I buy another should the need come up? Yes.

W2VIB Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2010 09:32 Send this review to a friend
4- good for 100 watts  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had for a few years....only problems were minor. 1. Inductors switch needed contact spray as it became intermittent after a few years. 2. Solved problem of panel light burning out by putting in a 12v bulb from radio shack and using a 7.5v wall wart, bulb seems to last forever...almost 2 years now. Unit does well on 10, 17, 20, 40 and 60 meter bands but is critical on 80 meters and will arc on 160 meters unless resonant dipole is used. Not bad for a non roller inductor tuner. A bit over priced when new but a bargain on eBay for half the original price.

KC0GSB Rating: 3/5 Mar 28, 2010 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine Now  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it a 3 because the 1N60 ( or 1N34, can't remember) diodes went bad in only a few months. I replaced those with some from Radio Shack and it has worked fine since. I have also installed a peak reading board in it and calibrated it using a Bird 43P. I use it at my test bench now as it's 300W rating is fine for there. In stock condition it's OK as a low power tuner and relative power out/SWR meter. It didn't cost much anyway.