Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II
MFJ 948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II Reviews: 34 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$119.00
Description: 300 Watt fixed inductor tuner/4 pos antenna switch with tuned/untuned option/cross needle meter

You can write your own review of the MFJ 948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II.

KC8QNO Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2009 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had it for years with no trouble. Most of my antennas need little tuning and this does just great to make the radio happy. I also have a MFJ-901B which also is a flawless little tuner that I have had for years. I wanted a tuner with an antenna switch and a SWR meter all in one to eliminate some stuff on my small desk. The 948 Fit the bill and is basically a 901B with a Meter and a switch all in one. I have no overheating problems and mine stays cool all the time (mind you I am only running 150Watts through it at most).

W5GNB Rating: 1/5 Dec 20, 2008 07:31 Send this review to a friend
MF JUNK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This "Tuner" is rated at 300-watts. I would bet this is probably the point of ignition for this device.
At just 100 watts of power the unit operates quite warm indicating that the coil within is far under rated for even 100 watts of power.

The construction is typical MFJ meaning cheaply built and quite poor design overall.

The tuner looks good setting on the bench and it will tune most anything to a 1:1 match but since the unit runs quite warm, how much of that power is actually getting through the tuner to the antenna system is still unknown.

This tuner is FAR overpriced for what it is!

EI6GRB Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great little tuner. Has worked really well for me for the last year. It will tune absolutely anything but some times you need a little patience.
I cant fault it.
All in all for the price of this it is a fantastic and useful addition to any shack.

G3XAP Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2008 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 948 for 9 years now and have used it on a variety of antennas. It has never failed me and it works on 6 metres too, although the tuning is rather sharp up here and takes a little patience.

I don't understand user comments regarding MFJ's "build quality" - this unit is well constructed.

I'd recommend this tuner to anyone.

Phil, G3XAP

N6NKN Rating: 2/5 Mar 24, 2007 10:58 Send this review to a friend
They Don't Last  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had two of these and both have failed after time. The first "smoked' after several months while running only 100 watts. The second now refuses to tune a 75M antenna that only needs a touch-up. I use them now as antenna switches and for parts. Bought an LDG AT-200Pro. Now that is a tuner.

No more MFJ for me.

KB5DRJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2007 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Good value tuner.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used on eBay a couple of years ago. I had to add a washer inside to the inductor assembly or else the wiper arm would lose contact with the coil - not good. After I fixed that it has worked perfectly ever since. I use it to tune a Cliffdweller 2 antenna. It does what it is supposed to and I am used to having to take MFJ stuff apart and tighten screws, etc. I would give this unit a 5.0 except for the poor quality control.

K3NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2006 20:23 Send this review to a friend
OK Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in 1989 at a hamfest for $75. It's worked flawless since then. The only problem I had was the meter light burning out, but lights burning out is a fact of life. The light bulb is pretty much built into the meter and not changeable; I intend on replacing it someday with some super bright LEDs. The workmanship in my unit was good.

KR4OW Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2006 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The tuner works as advertised
Follow the books instructions and you will have no problems. The only disturbing thing about this unit. It has something rattling inside it.
This does not seem to affect the operation though.
Have no arcing problems of any kind. Meter is easy reading no problems

KA3NXN Rating: 0/5 Oct 20, 2005 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Absolute Junk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It will not tune anywhere. I found at times when I bypassed the tuner section the SWR was lower than with the tuner section in line. I never got an SWR lower than 3.0:1 on any band, even when the antenna was resonant at a certain frequency. I even tried using it as a simple coax switch, and it was lousey there too. If I could rate it lower than "0" I would. LDG is much much better.

M1EZF Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2005 09:26 Send this review to a friend
If its cheap buy it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not the best tuner I have ever used but for the money its not bad.

The bigest let down is the Inductor Selector. That has a cheap feel to it and MFJ say you shouldnt move it while tuning. Everything else is fine and what you would expect out of a budget ATU.

I use it to tune a Carolina Windom 80 Special running 100W and it works fine.

Its also small and lightweight so ideal for /P