Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | casio wave ceptor atomic watch Help

Reviews Summary for casio wave ceptor atomic watch
casio wave ceptor atomic watch Reviews: 20 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $49.99
Description: large display, atomic watch, has button to show utc time
comfortable, back lit button for niight use. water resistant to 50m

You can write your own review of the casio wave ceptor atomic watch.

W0FEN Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2014 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Changing battery a problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a fantastic watch. I am on my 2nd. The first one I had problems changing the battery. I goofed it up and sent in for repairs. I believe they threw it on the pile without even looking at it. They offered me a replacement for $~40~, so I bit. ---A hint do NOT remove the actual watch from the case when replacing the battery.---

I would buy another if it is in the $<50 range. I would not buy one for the list price. I like the steel bands and they cost more.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2013 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Got my 2nd watch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my second watch. Was rough on the 1st and I beat it up. It still works though! The next one works as well as the 1st. Perfect time keeper. Rarely misses the WWV signal every night. I'm still a little hard on it but at around $50 and lasting 4+ years, I will buy it again.
KE4AKZ Rating: 2/5 Apr 29, 2013 05:19 Send this review to a friend
It works, but has issues.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a waveceptor in July 2010 and have found that it keeps time perfectly. I can tune in to 10Mhz & it's dead on. It does have its issues though....

The backlight button randomly refuses to turn the light on which can be annoying, but really isn't that big of a deal. The really aggravating issue is that the watch will randomly reset date and time to 1/1/2005 @ 12:00!

At first it only happened once every few months, but after 2 1/2 years it has started resetting so often that it has become more aggravation than it is worth. I'm going to send an email to Casio to see what they have to say, but it looks like I'll be in the market for a new watch soon.
AD0NW Rating: 0/5 Mar 15, 2010 11:12 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it and sent it back. Was told that they fixed it and it was working fine. Well it does work if you consider that it is always 2.4 minutes slow! If your happy to interpolate the correct time by adding to the watches time, then this is the watch for you! If you want mine send me a stamped envelope and I'll send it to you.
N9XAW Rating: 2/5 Mar 15, 2010 00:28 Send this review to a friend
grrrrrrrr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the newest version of this watch. It takes a rocket scientest to set it. Instructions are confusing and unless you go to the internet site, the manual provided is impossible to read without magnification. I have spent the last hour trying to set it to daylight savings time.
KB5IAV Rating: 2/5 May 3, 2008 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Great if you can get it at a throwaway price  Time owned: more than 12 months
When my last watch, a Pulsar, died in 2006 after 10 years, I found the Casio Waveceptor Ana-Digital, which has analog time for local time along with a digital readout which can show date, local time, or world time(including UTC). The Waveceptor comes in a variety of styles and I purchased one with a metal band, since I liked the look of it.

I ordered it from Amazon in April 2006 and it arrived shortly after. Since this watch uses radio and doesn't have much antenna, the user has to find a "sweet spot" where they can leave it so it can sync to the WWVB signal. I found such a spot and the watch synced up every night or any time I told it to manually. I often checked the time against WWV and it was always right on the money. The fact I could get UTC with one button push was a nice feature too. In other words, I was happy with it.

April 2008, nearly 2 years to the day, the watch quits working because the battery dies. I took the watch to a specialty watch repair shop I've used before for watch batteries and never had a problem, until now. They changed the battery, but because they didn't have the manual, they couldn't set it, which was OK with me because I wanted to configure the watch for my needs.

I got the watch home and pulled out the manual to start setting it up, and noticed the lower right hand button no longer worked, and the hands had not moved since I had left the shop a half hour before. Although the watch did sync up eventually on it's own, the hands never moved and I couldn't configure the display without the lower left button.

I thought the shop had destroyed my watch, but after reading some reviews on Amazon of other versions of the Waveceptor (basically the same watches with different bands), I found this watch has battery change issues. One user reported problems with the watch after a battery change and was told by Casio he had to send it back to them for a battery change. Another user said shops in his area, even a specialty watch shop, wouldn't change the battery on a Casio watch and the only way to get it changed was to send it to a Casio service center. To me it's insane to send it across the country and wait weeks just for a new battery.

If you can get a Waveceptor at a cheap enough price that you don't mind throwing it away every couple of years, I guess it's a good watch, but I don't think I should have to throw away a $65 watch after only 2 years.

I'm in the market for a new atomic watch and it won't be Casio. If I can't find an atomic watch in a brand other than Casio, I'll go back to a good quartz and just set it to WWV every so often like I used to do.
WV1K Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2007 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent before the battery change  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoyed this watch before the local Wal-Mart(s) changed to the policy of refusing to change batteries bought there. A jeweler will laugh in your face.

I did it but didn't enjoy it.

I understand the story is the same both ways with the $90 or more watches.

The watch itself works fine way out on Cape Cod.
AD5TD Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2007 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Best watch ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over two years now. It has prformed flawlessly. The only gripe I have about it is that if doesn't have a "countdown" timer. Very useful. I love the fact that when I want to know the time, if I see the "dish" symbol, I know that the time is correct within a second or less.
WA4SCA Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2007 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Perfect time, confusing menus.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for 3 years now, and have found it to be highly reliable. Much like the non-atomic 1985 vintage predecessor, it loses exactly 8 seconds a month if you don't update it. Battery life is much better than claimed, and it updates reliably as long as you are not in a metal building. I also find its menus completely opaque, so when I travel, unless I am going to be gone for a week or more, I just leave it on home time, and mentally convert. Or perhaps, it is just Oldtimers Disease setting in.
KG8JF Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2007 09:14 Send this review to a friend
It is a pain  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contrary to the previous reviewer's sentiment, I find the watch a joy to have. I am sure that everytime I look at my watch, it is the correct time. It is, literally, a pain in the butt to get the darn thing set up. It is the most unintuitive thing I have ever tried to deal with. I have also noticed that as I age I am having much more trouble with these high tech toys. It is very hard to set/reset but it is not junk