Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | casio wave ceptor atomic watch Help

Reviews Summary for casio wave ceptor atomic watch
casio wave ceptor atomic watch Reviews: 20 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $49.99
Description: large display, atomic watch, has button to show utc time
comfortable, back lit button for niight use. water resistant to 50m

You can write your own review of the casio wave ceptor atomic watch.

WY4J Rating: 0/5 Dec 25, 2007 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received Casio watch from the XYL as an Xmas present. Biggest piece of junk in the world. Could not get it the time set to Easter Time it kept constantly wanting to set the time to Pacific Time and the hands just kept going around in circles. In order for this watch to reset itself it must receive a signal from WWV in FT Collins, I guess Florida is just too far. The buttons are tiny and after a while your fingers start to hurt from pressing. The instructions are no help since they must have been written by the fellow who designed it.

A watch just keeps time. This piece of junk with its atomic gimmick cannot even do that. So don't waste your money on this unless you enjoy the frustration of playing with something that does not work. I asked her to return it before I took a hammer to it.

W6RQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2007 13:25 Send this review to a friend
great watch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a big fan of the Casio Wave Ceptor watches. I have had two over the last few years (one cost $30, the other $40), and both are still working fine. I recommend them very highly. It's great to have a highly accurate "radio-controlled" watch. Definitely tops on the nerd scale.

73, Curt W6RQ

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2005 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Yeah!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a nerd's watch! I like it so I guess I am a certifiable nerd! It has that Casio coolness factor to it. Has nice large digits, it's easy to see and has great backlight for night use, I do need to set it by a window aiming in the right direction overnight for it to set though. Even if it doesn't set it's still an accurate watch. Mine is going on 3 years and still is going strong on the original battery. I think Casio has various cases they put the guts into, mine is all plastic and over time the "crystal" has become scratched, if they make it, and I don't know if they do, try to find one with a glass crystal.

K7EDE Rating: 3/5 Apr 15, 2005 16:21 Send this review to a friend
not for arizona  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It's fantastic except for one very irritating function--if you live in Arizona, you'll have to change your time zone from MST to UTC minus 8 during daylight savings time. Otherwise, every time your watch synchs (once a night for me) it will turn Daylight Savings Time back on, even though you manually turned it off! If you change time zones for the duration of DST, you'll have to change again when DST is over.
No problems with the watch picking up the signal on a pretty regular basis from my upstairs desk.

AD6VU Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2003 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Works great in California....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have several WWV-synchronized clocks, but this was my first wristwatch. My Casio is Model 55H and came with a nice stainless band and is the dress watch style; altho it is water resistant to 25m. I got mine on sale at Big 5 for $19.95 and it's been advertized several times at this price. Contrary to the last review, it is somewhat smaller and resembles an ordinary digital dress watch; however, it is a bit thicker than most(15mm). It synched within minutes of its purchase and automatically adjusted itself for DST and back again on the first sync signal it received. I'm still on the original battery and I leave it on top of my computer next to an Oregon Scientific Atomic Alarm Clock, which, incidentally, did not receive the "Spring forward, Fall back" signal until I moved it to an east-facing window. I love this Casio and the hardest thing for me is to maintain enough will power to resist buying another one should it go on sale again. You can never have enough watches.... especially ones so darn accurate. Believe me, no one tells me my watch needs adjusting now!

K3FU Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2003 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Never set your watch again!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these as a (strongly hinted) birthday present from my girlfriend. Mine is the WV56HA-1AV model, bought for $34.95. Though one of the cheaper models (you can buy the Wave Ceptor technology in Casio G-Shock versions that sell for up to $199), this one includes an impressive number of features, including world time, dual display of local time with either date or UTC, 100-year perpetual calendar, illuminator, stopwatch with split timer, and an alert feature (alarm up to one year into the future).

This watch earns a top rating, and high "geek" factor, for working as designed and doing it in such a small and inexpensive package. Just set the timezone, lay the watch flat in a window facing towards WWVB in Fort Collins, Colorado, and either wait for it to automatically synch in the wee hours of the morning, or press the receive button to synch immediately (the latter option may or may not work depending on the time of day and orientation of the watch). Mine was obtained shortly before the daylight savings time change in October and handled the switch perfectly. I live less than 1,000 miles away from the WWVB transmitter, so I get a strong groundwave signal. Those who live further away, or near sources of 60 kHz noise, may have to be more careful about the placement of the watch for nightly synchronization.

The only other watch I have that comes close to this degree of accuracy and simplicity is my 4-year old, $200+, Seiko Perpetual Calendar, and that one still needs resetting twice a year for daylight savings time (accumulating about 15 seconds of error between resets).

The plastic strap has 12 (!!) notches on it (mine comfortably fits at about 5 notches short of tightest on my average adult-sized wrist) so it should have no problems fitting anyone from a small child to a lumberjack or bodybuilder.

The only, minor, negatives I can give for this watch are:

- This is a relatively big watch, which is no surprise considering the required internals for the VLF receiver. You may consider it either stylish or gaudy (or even retro, reminiscent of 70's era "quarter pounder" electric/quartz watches).

- In addition to increased size, the time synchronization feature introduces greater power demands. Casio is projecting 2 years battery life, which is relatively short considering that the industry standard has reached 5, or even (such as for my Seiko) 10 years battery life for quartz watches.

- The lower-priced versions do not have the G-Shock protection and are only water-resistant to 50 meters. In addition, mine has a plastic, as opposed to metal, back, likely to enable better radio reception. Time will tell (pardon the expression) how well this watch will hold up to regular use.

- Some of the controls are less intuitive than other Casio watches that I have owned. For example, the split timer stopwatch uses the split button to reset it, as opposed to holding the start/stop button down. I recommend that you read the relatively thick instruction booklet before leaving home.

SOLMAX Rating: 3/5 Aug 11, 2003 11:46 Send this review to a friend
OK but some problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When it works it's wonderful. There are occasional problems. For no apparent reason the watch occasionally resets. This leaves you the option of waiting for a synchronizing signal, or manually resetting the watch (Casio does note in its manual that because of static charge, the watch may may reset). Manually resetting the watch requires one to scroll through all the years from 1998 to the present. It is barely possible now but will become impractical in a few years. Casio should fix the design problem that causes the resets. there is no good reason why the watch cannot be engineered to eliminate the malfunctions. A non-radio watch never resets. A sanity check in the logic should eliminate the possibility of reset.

In many parts of the country, and in many locations the watch will not sync. Someone should come up with a meter to measure the signal to noise ratio of the 60KHz signal. Someone should also develop hardware that will reproduce a version of WWVB from an internet time connection, and permit synching in areas where the direct signal is not available.

RAD1OMAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2003 23:42 Send this review to a friend
MORE TOYS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up the DBC-150... the Databank WaveCeptor because I got tired of my old Casio always being SLOW and not having a LIGHT! (CASIO FORGOT THE LIGHT!). Nothing like sitting in a Ham Club meeting, hour chimes beeping everywhere at the top of the hour, and then your watch beeps minutes later:) My DCB-150 receives WWVB at 60kHZ ( I wonder if the previous poster was incorrect or maybe HIS receives 2.5MHz). After reading the novel that was included with the watch, and seeing the instruction that says this watch "sucks batteries", I decided to turn the auto-set OFF and I set it once a week. So far, it stays pretty close to WWV. It does suffer from some things that are just gotta happen... a TINY RX is trying to receive a 60kHz signal with a microscopic antenna... When you set the watch, you need to look at the screen/display to get maximum signal strength.
I wish that Casio would use a better band, the first thing I did was to take the plastic band off and replace it with my steel link band that has been on at least five other watches.
It looks to me as if Casio re-engineered the watch a bit too, previous versions of watches needed to be taken apart and switches cleaned, these buttons look as if they are sealed better. My watches take serious abuse.
I do miss the Countdown Timer, but the World Time function has been made better.
Wal*Mart does not sell this watch, but with careful research on the Internet, a wise shopper can find this one for about US$54.00

N9WTG Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2003 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Atomic Time on your wrist  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like my new watch ! It's super cool.
Receives time signal automatically from NIST on 2.5 mhz. Auto updates once per day OR manual. It works great initiated a successful manual update within 5 minutes of reading the manual, I love always having THE ABSOLUTE CORRECT TIME ---ALL THE TIME. Other things I like --water proof to 50 meters. I have had several casio's (databank and calculator watch) each laste 6 years! I hope this one serves me well.

I have only had it a few days and it seems to be drifting about 1/2 second near the end of the day but of course it auto corrects at 1:00 am. this should improve with the intellegent auto gain control smarts built into the watch. it accumulates daily differential and adjusts the circuit (?) to reduce drift.

What I don't like: minor stuff
you can't manually adjust the time OR date unless the watch has not received a signal for 3 days. (I can't sychronize my watch with some one else)
They will just have to have the CORRECT TIME and sychronize with me!

BTW -cool electroluminescent backlight on this baby. [I wish it stayed on a little longer]

All this for $29.00 from Wal-Mart.

KA7GKN Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2002 15:39 Send this review to a friend
very good watch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
You can find these at wal-mart, sears, on the web, etc.
the display is very good easy to read. keeps great time. has a button for utc time. You can keep the utc time display on all the time instead of the date. utc time is in 24hr format. unfortunately the regular time is in 12hr format only.
the backlight is good for nighttime
There are a few styles available to suit all.

Battery replacement is easy, when needed, 4 tiny metric screws secure the rear case.
the owners manual is "tiny" but you can go to the casio website and download real full size pages so you can actually read the thing ha ha.

setting the watch is easy, battery life is supposed to be 3 years depending upon how often you use the backlight function.

marty ka7gkn@arrl.net