Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Original "Presentation" Bug. Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Original "Presentation" Bug.
Vibroplex Original Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: Vibroplex's top of the line Bug, with jewel movement, super speed control adjustable main spring and 24-karat gold base top.
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Original "Presentation" Bug..

IK0YGJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2004 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, for QRP also  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a 1957 Presentation bug in eBay in very good conditions. Please notice that the new presentation is different for this one. After some cleanup and adjustment the bug is really excellent.
Its speed rate is from 22 WPM up to about 35 WPM.
It is a steady, very precise and last but not least unbelievably beautiful key.
It is ideal for the beginner in bug and perfect for QRP, where the maximum speed is around 25 WPM.
If you see one on eBay, catch it with no hesitation.

VK2NEW Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2002 21:25 Send this review to a friend
To catch a Bug.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ever since I can remember, I have always admired the Vibroplex Original Presentation model Bugs. Although good Bugs are scarce here in VK-land, I had a bit of luck and purchased a 1972 vintage "833 Broadway New York" label Vibroplex Presentation model in brandnew condition.
After getting familiar with the workings and adjustments, plus reading books and surfing many web sites, I was able to adjust and send as good as a electronic keyer. Watching and listening to the clicking of this instrument in action is absolutely fascinating, and one can sort of get a feel on how all those years ago telegraph operators where committed to send with speed to earn a fair living.
The best I found to suit me in adjustments after experimenting is to have a fairly wide gap between contacts. I found that the adjustment for the dot contact post and dot contact spring has to be very precise, as this is where I could tune out the scratchy or fuzzy dots. After I had this under control I manage to get about 30 dit's before the contacts come to rest and produce a continuos tone. With the tension of the springs I prefer the Bug set for a fairly light touch, plus with plenty of wrist action I find sending to be as easy as using a paddle and a whole lot more fun.
So my main advice for newbie Bug users like myself is, experiment, experiment and experiment. Plus have fun.