Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, duplexer, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, e | DUNESTAR 400-HPF Help

Reviews Summary for DUNESTAR 400-HPF
DUNESTAR 400-HPF Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $65.00
Description: Highpass filter (1.8 MHz and up)
More info: http://www.dunestar.com/dunestar/model400.htm

You can write your own review of the DUNESTAR 400-HPF.

AA4MB Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2015 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Amazing filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Here's my story: I had significant broadcast interference from a broadcast station a few miles away. It was pretty easily identified and only happened during the daytime, when their 50,000 watt blowtorch was in operation; at night, they dropped power levels and I had no issues at all. I was experiencing interference on 40 meters which didn't exactly make it unusable during the daytime, but the interference was running at an S9 constantly and it made for bad operating experiences. After plugging in the Dunestar 400-HPF, it was like magic. ALL interference drops out and I'm seeing a more reasonable S2 to S3 noise level on 40 meters. Life is good again for daytime HF!

(I was also experiencing the issue on 80/75 and 160 meters, but my use of those bands only takes place after 6 pm at the earliest. Testing the filter response on both of those bands reveals a similar miracle cure for the BCB interference)

It's hard to find something that has quality construction for a reasonable price nowadays, and the Dunestar filter restores my faith in product advertisement reflecting actual performance. No way could I give this product only an 'OK' for working so well. Thank you Dunestar, for saving daytime 40 meter operating at my QTH!

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update and corrections. AFAIK it is still in available. It has excellent rejection. It will solve your BCB issues if the problem is front-end overload. It can not solve problems caused by BCB harmonics generated (typically by diodes or connections acting as diodes) prior to the filter. I have encountered this with diodes used in wattmeters, loose antenna or coax hardware and even a very expensive HF power amp. These problems can only be solved at the source.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2008 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Cleans up 160 and 80  Time owned: more than 12 months
This does not eliminate all the BCB on the low bands, but it is a very worthwhile addition to the shack. The two low bands are much quieter. I attached it to the back of my Kenwood AT 200 tuner and it makes for an unobstrusive and effective package. Recommended and a decent price.

WA1SEO Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Works as expected,Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in relatively close proximity of several broadcast stations. My ICOM 706MK2G was virtually useless on 160 unless I used an external attenuator, but then the signals were too weak to copy. My Orion 2 had an issue also, although I could still operate with 12dB of attenutation.

I took the advice of a friend and ordered the Dunestar 400-HPF without even investigating it. When I received it, the first thing I did was look at the response on my network analyzer from 500KHz thru 1.8MHz...it looked like the perfect solution. I connected it to each radio with a bypass switch to make a before/after comparison. I can now use the preamp in each radio on 160! I'm very pleased with this product.

Mike, WA1SEO

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2003 23:20 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job  Time owned: months
Have had trouble for years with a couple of local broadcast stations. This cleaned up the intermod on 80/160 nicely. BTW, if I hook up a 12V bulb directly across my 160/80 antenna's feedline... it lights up to nearly full brilliance... and pulses with the modulation of the closer local broadcaster...

K4SXT Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2000 03:46 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Dunestar 400 HPF does what it is supposed to do - the cutoff is very sharp starting just below 1.8 mhz. Without the filter I would not have been able to operate on 160 meters from this QTH near a broadcast station in Guam. Many thanks to Dunestar - KH2/K4SXT

Anonymous Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 1999 07:14 Send this review to a friend
The Dunestar 400 HPF cures IMD in the IC-756  Time owned: unknown months
I was having bad IMD on 160 meters in my ICOM 756 until I got a Dunestar 400-HPF (I have a 50KW broadcast station 1/2 mile from my house) -- with the filter in line the IMD is gone. My receive capability on 160 is greatly improved.