Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A270-6 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A270-6
Cushcraft A270-6 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $130
Description: 2m/440 (3L/3L) yagi
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A270-6.

K4MRR Rating: 1/5 Sep 18, 2016 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Quality Control Lacking  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Followed instructions exactly and ended up with a 3:1 SWR. Couldn't get the SWR much lower after breaking down the antenna and re-assembling it twice. Spent the day troubleshooting the antenna to no avail. Even took off the 440 elements and driven element to make it a monobander. Gave up after five hours and a bucket of sweat here in Florida. Just bought a new 4-element yagi from another vendor. Put together a Cushcraft 11-element yagi 15 years ago and it worked fine right out of the box. This Cushcraft seemed to bee made of cheaper materials.

DAVEW5LP Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great little yagi   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used both this model and the larger(a270-10s). Both were easy to construct and required no adjustments after they were built. Great addition to the station.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what can I say. This little yagi does work wonders. Thanks to Peter at HRO out of San Diego, California for selling it to me while on one of my trips to the USA. I love it. Highly recommended.

KJ4IIB Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2013 12:03 Send this review to a friend
GOOD LITTLE YAGI  Time owned: more than 12 months
HAD MY A270 FOR OVER 5 YRS NOW,NOTICED A HIGH SWR ONE DAY, TOOK IT DOWN TO CHECK IT OUT.A LITTLE CLEANING OF THE REDDI-MATCH AND TUNING STRAP....BACK IN BUSINESS..NO PROBLEM WITH REPEATERS 40-50 MILES AWAY WITH LOW POWER..HAD NO PROBLEM WITH ASSEMBLY OR TUNING...SETTING THE SWR WAS RIGHT ON FROM THE MEASUREMENTS OUT OF THE MANUEL.IVE ENJOYED MINE,I USE A SMALL TV ROTOR TO TURN THE YAGI.

N2DY Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2011 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine but Sloppy Factory Control  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna works as advertised, but the one I received had the boom U-bolt holes drilled incorrectly. That is just poor quality control. It was not difficult to drill my own holes, but I should not have too. I cannot tell if mine was produced before or after MFJ took over Cushcraft. Once corrected the antenna has fulfilled the need that I set out for it. Bandwidth seems pretty good and gain is about what you would expect for three elements on each band.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2011 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a clever antenna design of two 3 element beams on one boom. My objective is to be able to operate Dstar via a repeater almost 40 miles from my home.

Follow the instructions and take your time. Read the instructions prior to assembly a couple of times and look at all the parts. Assembly of the driven elements with the Reddi-Match is the hardest part of the entire process.

Performance is just as I expected my target repeater for testing was received at full scale s meter reading, an improvement over the dual band vertical antenna.

SWR is not an issue with me, if the antenna works I'm happy. In my experience with Cushcraft products antennas of this type are designed for FM and Digital operations.

I forgot to mention in my review the price is now in the $120 to $130 range.

W4LMR Rating: 3/5 Mar 15, 2009 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Not a good design  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This thing was very hard to tune up on the VHF SSB bands (144.200MHz). The gamma match is very tricky. I'm still not convinced it's a good design to use one feedline for UHF and VHF. I'm planning on taking it down and using it for FM vertically polarized with seperate feed lines.

KD5JFT Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2005 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Small Beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this up since I was first licensed; several years. I just spent a lot of time trying to get it tuned perfectly. After lots of trial and error, I got it to 1.2:1 in the SSB portions of 2M and 430MHz. Using an ancient radio (IC-251A) and a more recent (FT-726R) and a modern (FT-847) radio, I have been able to routinely make 100+ mile contacts with less than 10 watts out. Tuning can be a pain. I used a 10' tripod with my home-made mast and rotor (and the actual coax I would be using after final installation) to tune it. I spent an entire afternoon putting it up, taking it down, readjusting it, putting it back up, etc. I finally got it right (at least according to the MFJ analyzer). According to the propaganda packaged with it, I have it working better than it is supposed to!

For the size and price, I don't think it can be easily beat. I didn't rate it a five due to the difficulty in tuning it. I have no experience with other dual band beams, so really don't have a good comparison, but it is much more difficult to tune than a single band yagi.

W7RJR Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2005 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Quality Control Issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The pre-drilled holes in the boom were out of tolerance resulting in crooked elements and impossible to insert the U bolt through the boom without stripping the threads.

I don't recommend this antenna. Returned it for a refund.

VE3CDA Rating: 2/5 Oct 8, 2004 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Tough to tune  Time owned: more than 12 months
The quality is good, the price is reasonable, however I just can't seem to get it tuned. The instructions say that anything better than 2:1 doesn't matter, which is the best I can get out of it, and the antenna does work. I just can't get it out of my head that it should be able to tune up to something lower than 2:1. If I tune each section by itself, I can get something like 1.3:1, but when you connect them together, up goes the SWR. For the record, the antenna in on a Delhi tower about 50 feet up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've been tinkering with this thing for almost a year. At this point, I'm considering replacing it with a UVS300 vertical. It would be great to have your comments. I really would like to get it fixed.