Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8000R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8000R
Yaesu FT-8000R Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $659.95
Description: VHF radio
More info: http://www.vertexstandard.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8000R.

N5NLU Rating: 3/5 Dec 14, 2013 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice while it worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first got into Ham Radio, I was driving back and forth to college, I bought this radio new and absolutely loved it. I used it all the time driving in my truck. I talked on it at least 4 hours a day. It was only 2 years old when it quit transmitting on the 2M side. I sent to Yaesu and they said that the 2m board needed to be replaced. I paid about $550 new for this and it was going to cost me $350 to fix it.....this was back in 2002, still a lot of money. I couldn't afford another dual band, so I purchased a straight 2M Icom IC-2100H for $200 back then. Still got the 2100 and still working.

AA6TS Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2013 09:42 Send this review to a friend
A feature-packed solid performer for a used rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my FT-8000R used for $200 late 2012. It came with the user manual and the bracket. What I liked most about the rig was the dual band/dual receive feature, especially the ability to have VHF on both sides instead of the usual VHF/UHF split. Combined with the extended receive capabilities, this allows me to listen to my favorite 2 meter repeater on the left and monitor the CDF fire dispatch on the right, something we tend to do when we live in extreme fire danger areas!

The radio has been a good performer in all respects. I purchased the data cable (and was pleased to see that most UHF/VHF mobile rigs use the same 8-pin mini-DIN connector) and successfully used the FT-8000R on packet. After about 8 months, the RX went out. I could transmit but not hear. I adjusted some ground connections and the radio seems to work fine again, at least for now! While I was working on the rig, I noticed that the output power was 40 watts, not the advertised 50 watts. My next goal is to find a service menu and attempt to adjust this back to 50 watts.

I was disappointed to find that the ADMS programming software was no longer available, but I had no trouble programming this radio manually. The steps are simple and I can program all the memories in an hour. My dealer told me that Yaesu will no longer service this radio and that parts are no longer available, but that is normal for such an old rig. If I ever replace this, it will probably be with either the FT-8800 or 8900 because I am now used to having this feature set.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these radios, great little performers. I also have a 7100 that I use as a travel radio. All are very similar in programming so I don't have to re-read the manual like some radios.

KE4JSX Rating: 1/5 Mar 25, 2011 09:29 Send this review to a friend
OK while warranty lasted  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine when they first came out. Fun while it lasted. Great scanning speeds. After one year, volume knobs quit working, stopped receiving. My buddies died twice while under warranty. Got it fixed. After warranty, it died again. He sold it for parts.

KB0XR Rating: 1/5 Aug 20, 2009 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new on closeout at a local hamfest. Good dual band receiver and I only used 2 meters. Then one day, after the warranty expired, I tried to join the local gang on 440. SURPRISE! No transmit on 440. It's out on the workbench in the garage now. Happily monitoring but not good for much else.

SM5SRR Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2007 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Quite O.K.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this one with an inop. volume control which turned out to be the notorious bad soldering. Once fixed, it performed like a charm. Quite impressive little mobile station. All the features do not take too much time to master.

RADIOWEENIE Rating: 1/5 Apr 8, 2007 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Poor price and poor quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the Yaesu FT-8000R for about 4 months in a Plymouth Duster with Mitsubishi V6 and 5 speed manual [VERY fast car]. The radio picked up LOUD noise from computer and ignition that was so disruptive that the radio could not be used unless i pulled over and turned off the engine. Many fixes failed including chokes and shielding. No good results. This radio was absolutely worthless for mobile use. I got rid of both the radio and the car. I do not know what has happened to Yaesu. Their quality seems to be no better than MFJ. At any rate, now i have an Icom 208 and an Icom 27A. Both of the Icoms work flawlessly and have given no trouble whatsoever. And i want to emphasize to you that the ICOMS are a very welcome change!

KF4GNL Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2006 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Almost 10 years and still running strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for almost 10 years and it still works great. Its been in use nearly every day on 2m. Yes, its a little sensitive to intermod, but the use of a PAR filter takes care of that. Easy to use and to program.

KC7HTL Rating: 2/5 Nov 22, 2004 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Crap  Time owned: more than 12 months
It needs help and Yaesu could do a better job of communicating what excately the problen is. Mine was in 3 times after I purchased it in 1996, both for the same problem, blown final (fet) on 2 meters. They fixed it once for free and the second or third time for additional charges.

It wasnt until the 3rd time when I quized the guy on the phone why this would keep happening he finally stated that you cannot operate this around any rf (transmitter)source nearby.( he also told me I should of known this but when I stated that the ft90 had no problems with this he said "it's a different radio")

Well no s(*&!

I had at the time a commercial Icom VHF rig and since, have not used that with the 8000(even turning the Icom on recieve was enough to put the fix on the 8000) Since then , I have used it only around a 3 watt bag phone, guess what? even with the phone on standby, it blows the finals too. I'm about ready to junk it unless I can find a diode fix.

W0DC Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2004 20:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig w/ Lots of Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 8000 for many years now with zero problems. I like the ability to simultaneously monitor two frequencies at once. The wide band receiver withstands local intermod generators very well.

I like mine too much to try a drop test with it!

73, John W0DC