Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | GAP Super "C" Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Super "C"
GAP Super Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $449.00
Description: Physically short 10-20M Antenna
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Super "C".

WB4ENE Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2003 07:27 Send this review to a friend
160 meters with Super "C"  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna works. The problem I have is that most hams are using horizontally polarized antennas and do not understand the effects of cross-polarization fading. And so, when getting reports of "antenna a" "antenna b" I am often comparing apples to oranges. I would like to get a net up and running with Super "C" owners who could then communicate amongst ourselves.

I have removed the Gap matching network and substituted the SGC 237 automatic tuner, mounted right inside the antenna. With that, I was able to make 160m contacts (yes, very weak, but..) thru 6 meters. It also appears that the higher above ground you can mount the antenna the better it performs due to the very low angle radiation components present.

You can improve the performance of the Super C by rotating their matching network onto its side, such that it is not protruding into the space between the emitter grid (the "crabpot") and the collector grid (the "screendoors"). You should also try removing the metal to metal contact at the bottom of the emitter grid and only connect the mast to the crabpot at the TOP of the antenna.

I have built an 18 foot version at my RF lab and did pretty well during the 160 meter contest, comparing it with the Gap Voyager (160m-20m vertical).

Contact me if you want to arrange a schedule some time at WB4ENE@bellsouth.net

N5NYS Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2002 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Brand New Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Super "C". Installation was easy and straight forward. A+ on packaging, fit and finish. It took me about two hours start to finish to have the antenna mounted outside on a pole from the time I opened the box. So far, I have had an awesome experience with this 3ft tall antenna. When the bands clear up, I will give a better review with comparisons against verticals, dipoles, etc.