Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | M2 Orion 2800P Help

Reviews Summary for M2 Orion 2800P
M2 Orion 2800P Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1429.00
Description: 35 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.m2inc.com/pdf_manuals/OR2800PX%20(AZ).pdf

You can write your own review of the M2 Orion 2800P.

K4AAV Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Looking all sorts of rotors out there to meet my requirements I kept coming back to M2. I read all the reviews and took them with a grain of salt. I installed a new TX-455 tower, M2 7-10-30 LPDA antenna and rotor of choice was the M2 2800P. Installed and calibration was no problem. Spins this 110 lb antenna, mast, 2/440 vertical and NN4ZZ tilt plate with no problems. Controller is working great and have not had any issues. The rotor and controller are built solid with great design and workmanship.

Great job M2.

K4AAV

WD5COV Rating: 0/5 Jun 13, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
unreliable endless trouble  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this rotor and control box new from the factory with assurance it will easily handle my m2 array of 4 x 9el 6 meter H frame array. I have nothing but problems with this rotor. Shortly after installing the rotor (within several months) the main shaft sheared. I wasnt even turning the array at this time. We didnt even have strong winds either. The array spun freely and broke the coax. I sent it back to the factory and they replaced it with a "hardened" shaft. Perhaps it should have had this "hardened" shaft installed at time of purchase. Once reinstalled after a few days, the internal parts which tell the control box which direction it pointing failed. I once again had to take it down for repairs. At this point I had my doubts of installing it again. Then the control box failed. I have had to send it back two times for repairs. Recently I had to replace the reed switch and reinstall the rotor. Again after two days in service error messages again! This is the MOST UNRELIABLE ROTOR EVER MADE! I can not turn it from the control box -AGAIN. Now I have to take the rotor down for the last time. I will never reinstall it again. To many headaches to say the least. I think a prop pitch will be my answer.
I might add, my letter to K6MYC Mike Staal went unanswered. Complete lack of customer service. I think they have had so many problems with this product the only thing to do is dodge the problem instead of providing true customer service.
I absolutely do not recommend this to anyone!

N1MM Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 12:36 Send this review to a friend
A simple fix for water ingress  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had heard of problems with water getting into through the top bearing of the rotor. What I did was buy a Fernco 2" to 3" pvc pipe adapter and used a hose clamp to hold the smaller end on the top plate of the rotor. The bell shape of the adapter shields the bearing from rain. I needed to cut the adapter down to make a tight fit, but that was easy with a utility knife. A cheap insurance policy.

K8GTQ Rating: 2/5 Jun 3, 2012 13:41 Send this review to a friend
problems and problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rotator for six and a half years. Ordered this rotator after ordering the SteppIr Monstir. M2 assured me this rotator was suitable for this very large steppir antenna. Even before installing it on the tower, I set it up in the shack and tried it. Had to send the control box back to the factory for repairs (replaced a motor driver). Worked well for a few years of not too frequent use. It got "sloppy"(antenna moved +/- 30 degrees in wind) after a few years and I replaced the mast plate (which is splined to the rotator). THis cured the "sloppy" problem for a couple of years. Then I had problems with control box and replaced chips, sent it back to the factory three or four times, always paid for the "fixes". The fixes were generally reported as "resoldered loose wires". I don't know how the wires would become loose as the control box is never moved nor are the wires connecting it. Took it down this week to see why the antenna moved back and forth 60 to 90 degrees in the slightest wind. THe upper support bearing was completely rusted out letting water into the gear box which now has 1/4" to 1/2" of rust inside of it. The design is very poor as any water will ALWAYS sit in the bearing cup as there is not any form of water seal or water shield that would prevent water from settling there. THe gears are rusted, the spline joints are rusted The motor still works but the antenna rarely is pointed where the control box says it is. Don't know if it is worth repairing. THis rotator may work on smaller antennas, but it certainly is not built strong enough for this steppIr antenna.
K8GTQ

VE7GBV Rating: 2/5 May 28, 2012 06:39 Send this review to a friend
CUstomer support sucks  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it's built to handle big loads. However, our early AC model had some really dumb mechanical design faults - 1] a bolt which loosened, allowing a gear to drop and wreck the optical turns counter, 2] fine-pitch bolt-hole threads in the ALUMINUM housing, which of course stripped [this blunder would get you flunked out of any decent mechanical course] and 3] a wonky control cable connector which rusted and failed. Worse, when our unit went back to the factory to fix 1], nobody bothered to tell us about 3], meaning another $500 trip to the factory which could easily have been avoided.
FInally, we were treated less than fairly - WE had to pay the full cost of fixing THEIR design and product support errors .
Our letter to the CEO was ignored.

K0ZR Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2012 21:36 Send this review to a friend
A Top Line Rotator  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the 2800P for four months now. It turns a Force12 C31XR and Cushcraft XM-240 on a 72 foot crank-up tower. It has performed flawlessly, with one exception. As noted in earlier reviews, if the cable length is excessive, in my case around 250 ft to the top of the tower, you MUST use shielded cable for the digital signals. Otherwise the pulses are so "muddied" that the rotator will not function. As soon as I augmented the rotator installation with stranded RG-58U cable, all missing pulse problems disappeared.

9K2FM Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
It's The Best Rotators  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Have The HDR-300 From HyGail More Than 10 Years
But !! , I need A Good And Strong Rotor For My Steup Antenaa , ( Kt-36XA From M2 & XM-240 From
Cushcraft For 40M ) .

I Found May Products , Ineed A good and Strong
And I Found The OR-2800 PX From M2 , It's Heavy Duty And Excellent Desigh .

- Excellent Hard Ware And Ready To ( RS-232 ) .
- Heavy Duty Cabel And Good For The weather in kuwait .
- Thank's For Question Mic ( K6MYC ) M2 Owner .
- Thank's For The Cable Jay ( WX0B ) .
- Thank's Also For Mohammed ( 9K2RF ) Bo Jasem .
- The Rotator It's Work Very Nice .

Thank's For All .

Ayesh M . ALBURIKI
www.9k2fm.com
9k2fm@arrl.net

K6RIM Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2009 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Rugged & Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
My QTH is on a 1,000' ridgetop, where the wind can be brutal. After moving here many years ago, I discovered that riveted antennas would not survive a winter due to the wind loosening the rivets and making the antenna electrically incontinent. So I need a rotor (and antenna) that can withstand a high wind environment.

The Orion has proven to be both rugged and reliable. It has never failed or required service in over a decade of use. It turns a M2 log periodic weighing around 85 pounds and a M2 5-element 6 Meter yagi.

I did replace the M2 control box with the Green Heron RT-21D, which is much easier to use and to program.

N1CX Rating: 1/5 Nov 1, 2009 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Less than stellar  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I must be missing something because 30 plus years of experience told me when I opened the box that the problem I was going to see with this unit was loosening and loss of the rotor to plate bolts. Less than 3 months later with this rotor at 89' and turning a M2 20M5 it lost 3 of the 4 bolts. Properly torqued also. The bolt pattern is just too small of a diameter to handle any kind of torque. Simple physics says as large a bolt circle as possible for what it's designed for...and since it's only turning a M2 antenna well within it's range of use, you'd figure it would last longer than this.

We've been through every rotor out there in the last 10 years at a contest station in Maine. This sees use 12-15 times a year and is not worked hard. 2 cw contests and the rest of the time is weekend ham operating with sporadic use. We decided to try this rotor with the reasoning that it was supposed to be designed for use with the M2 line of antennas. Again well within spec. We also based this decision on the many glowing reports here. THAT was a bad decision I guess. Either that or our standards are much higher than the average ham and don't expect to be doing maintenance on a monopole every month to make sure the thing isn't about to fall out.

I call poobah on this rotor. 3/8x24 bolts are ENTIRELY too small on a ~4.5" bolt circle to handle the torque of a 45' boom yagi.

K5MM Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Rotator Great, Control not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed an OR-2800P-DC Rotator and 2800PX control a year ago. The rotator is an excellent trouble free unit. It replaced a Hy-Gain HRD300A, used for 20 years,that was not so trouble free. I have a 250 foot run from the shack to the rotator. I immediately noticed I was losing pulses, i.e. degrees with every rotation of my antennas. M2 told me the cure was shielded cables for my control lines to the 2800PX control. I decided to keep my control cable installation and replace the 2800PX with a Green Heron RT-21. I have not had to recalibrate my control since that replacement 10 months ago and I can control the rotator via software through the RT-21 (the 2800PX has an RS232 interface too.) I could have been happy with the 2800PX had it worked for me. The RT-21 programing interface and point and shoot capacity is more flexible and a better choice for me.