Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | M2 Orion 2800P Help

Reviews Summary for M2 Orion 2800P
M2 Orion 2800P Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1429.00
Description: 35 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.m2inc.com/pdf_manuals/OR2800PX%20(AZ).pdf

You can write your own review of the M2 Orion 2800P.

N1CX Rating: 1/5 Nov 1, 2009 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Less than stellar  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I must be missing something because 30 plus years of experience told me when I opened the box that the problem I was going to see with this unit was loosening and loss of the rotor to plate bolts. Less than 3 months later with this rotor at 89' and turning a M2 20M5 it lost 3 of the 4 bolts. Properly torqued also. The bolt pattern is just too small of a diameter to handle any kind of torque. Simple physics says as large a bolt circle as possible for what it's designed for...and since it's only turning a M2 antenna well within it's range of use, you'd figure it would last longer than this.

We've been through every rotor out there in the last 10 years at a contest station in Maine. This sees use 12-15 times a year and is not worked hard. 2 cw contests and the rest of the time is weekend ham operating with sporadic use. We decided to try this rotor with the reasoning that it was supposed to be designed for use with the M2 line of antennas. Again well within spec. We also based this decision on the many glowing reports here. THAT was a bad decision I guess. Either that or our standards are much higher than the average ham and don't expect to be doing maintenance on a monopole every month to make sure the thing isn't about to fall out.

I call poobah on this rotor. 3/8x24 bolts are ENTIRELY too small on a ~4.5" bolt circle to handle the torque of a 45' boom yagi.

K5MM Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Rotator Great, Control not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed an OR-2800P-DC Rotator and 2800PX control a year ago. The rotator is an excellent trouble free unit. It replaced a Hy-Gain HRD300A, used for 20 years,that was not so trouble free. I have a 250 foot run from the shack to the rotator. I immediately noticed I was losing pulses, i.e. degrees with every rotation of my antennas. M2 told me the cure was shielded cables for my control lines to the 2800PX control. I decided to keep my control cable installation and replace the 2800PX with a Green Heron RT-21. I have not had to recalibrate my control since that replacement 10 months ago and I can control the rotator via software through the RT-21 (the 2800PX has an RS232 interface too.) I could have been happy with the 2800PX had it worked for me. The RT-21 programing interface and point and shoot capacity is more flexible and a better choice for me.

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2009 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent heavy duty rotor.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using it to turn a 3-element 40-meter yagi and a Force 12 C3 tribander. Works flawlessly. Motor ramps up to speed then slows down before stopping -- this protects the antennas from damage. Controller connects to a computer for automatic control by my DX4WIN logging program. I replaced all the mounting hardware with stainless steel before installing. Highly recommended. Top qualty.

W4CYS Rating: 2/5 Jun 22, 2009 15:35 Send this review to a friend
rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an apparent lightening strike that caused some serious damage to my in the shack indicator, rotor box. I sent that back to the manufacturer and they replaced the printed circuit board and the cabinet. Upon sending it back to me, and checking out the indicator box and the rotor in my hamshack, I found that the rotor only rotates about 10 degrees and then it stops. I am not pleased with the overall service of my unit as the system does not work properly.

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Heavy Duty !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Hygain TH-11 in a high and windy area. MY experance showed that the tailtwisters lasted just over 2 years by a few months,the BIG Yaesu 2800 lasted just under 2 years both times,but the Orian (M2) 2800 lasted over 7.5 years (B4 the latested upgrade MOD's) and was easy to cal when needed. The performance was outstanding. 73 GL & DX

KB9WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2008 11:20 Send this review to a friend
solid and beefy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
married my Orion with a Green Heron controller, been up two days, solid operation, nice and smooth starts and stops using a gentle ramp - the Orion seems very well build, quality parts, and you can't beat M2 for knowledgeable and friendly service -- I really like the new connecton box -- am looking forward of years of trouble free "turnin and burnin" with my array -- KB9WL

K3CB Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Own 2 2800's at Home  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually own 4 of these rotors. 2 are of the early AC variety we use at K8GP for our microwave antenna positioners; and, two are the newer DC variety installed on my towers at home. Performance, reliability, quality, and support are all superb in my opinion. We have had winds gusting to over 60 mph here on MD's eastern shore and both my arrays, which present alot of wind load, have not budged in their respective rotors and everything has remained aligned.

I do have a question for anyone in the know. With the AC version it was possible using P7 to program a south stop without having to re-orient the mast pipe/antennas mechanically. It appears there is no similar way to do this with the rc2800px controllers I have, i.e. using P3 only effects the controller, it appears you must also mecahncially re-position the mast pipe/antennas in order to achieve a true south stop from the default North stop or "0". Is there a way to set a South stop without having to mechancially re-positioning the mast pipe/anetnnas? Any help would be appreciated. Owen, K3CB

WB6RSE Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 21:58 Send this review to a friend
VERY STRONG ROTATOR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 25+ years of brand H rotator swap outs, broken ring gears and rebuilds, I decided to try the strength of the OR2800. It has been flawless and without the loud "click" of a brake. I do not expect to have to swap it out any time soon, if ever. It seemed as if it would turn just about anything during bench check.

I chose the Green Heron Engineering RT-20 controller for the ultimate in ease of operation.

It's been an excellent, easy to use and reliable combination.

W5LL Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2005 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rotator is AMAZING! It would probably turn my house if I could somehow attach it to the rotator. I currently have a 5el 20m monobander with a 48' boom and a 9el 6m monobander with a 36' boom and this rotator loafs when turning the array, even in high wind!. Progamming is simple. Installation is easy, although you will have to have a custom rotor plate or drill your own as the holes don't line up on the standard rotor plate from Rohn. Also, if you're tower is 200' + away from the shack as is mine you'll need some heavy duty rotor cable. I bought the stuff from The Wire Man that was supposedly made just for this purpose and still had problems. It wasn't until I spliced in some RG-58 for the two control leads did the rotor start working correctly. Obviously, no fault of the rotator but the signal loss over the long cable run was just to great. I would not hesitate to purchase another one. It's a great rotator, made in the USA unlike certain other competitors who make you wait 3 months for one of their rotators while it comes across the ocean on a boat!

WA6OXK Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2004 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Built Super-Tough, sophisticated, will turn a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now have 15 months using the M^2 OR2800P, which replaced a HyGain HDR300A turning a KLM 40M3A, KT34XA, 2M-13LBA, and WARC rotating dipole. Lots of wind load (>22 ft^2).

After Wyatt at M^2 walked me through a few initial installation problems and FedEx'ed some replacement parts (including the new watertight cable connection box for free), it has not turned a hair. Customer service is superb, delivered by Hams who like what they are doing and are proud of the products they make. Wyatt also was very helpful before purchase advsing me if the 2800P would fit in a HG-52HD Hy-Gain tower (required the optional smaller 6"x6" round mounting plate).

The Orion truly loafs along while spinning a bunch of big yagis, even in high winds (by Northern California standards). The three mode controller has worked flawlessly and is very convenient.

Would not hesitate a msec to purchase another Orion. Dealing with M^2 is an old fashioned pleasure.

Craig