Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | M2 Orion 2800P Help

Reviews Summary for M2 Orion 2800P
M2 Orion 2800P Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1429.00
Description: 35 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.m2inc.com/pdf_manuals/OR2800PX%20(AZ).pdf

You can write your own review of the M2 Orion 2800P.

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2009 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent heavy duty rotor.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using it to turn a 3-element 40-meter yagi and a Force 12 C3 tribander. Works flawlessly. Motor ramps up to speed then slows down before stopping -- this protects the antennas from damage. Controller connects to a computer for automatic control by my DX4WIN logging program. I replaced all the mounting hardware with stainless steel before installing. Highly recommended. Top qualty.

W4CYS Rating: 2/5 Jun 22, 2009 15:35 Send this review to a friend
rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an apparent lightening strike that caused some serious damage to my in the shack indicator, rotor box. I sent that back to the manufacturer and they replaced the printed circuit board and the cabinet. Upon sending it back to me, and checking out the indicator box and the rotor in my hamshack, I found that the rotor only rotates about 10 degrees and then it stops. I am not pleased with the overall service of my unit as the system does not work properly.

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Heavy Duty !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Hygain TH-11 in a high and windy area. MY experance showed that the tailtwisters lasted just over 2 years by a few months,the BIG Yaesu 2800 lasted just under 2 years both times,but the Orian (M2) 2800 lasted over 7.5 years (B4 the latested upgrade MOD's) and was easy to cal when needed. The performance was outstanding. 73 GL & DX

KB9WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2008 11:20 Send this review to a friend
solid and beefy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
married my Orion with a Green Heron controller, been up two days, solid operation, nice and smooth starts and stops using a gentle ramp - the Orion seems very well build, quality parts, and you can't beat M2 for knowledgeable and friendly service -- I really like the new connecton box -- am looking forward of years of trouble free "turnin and burnin" with my array -- KB9WL

K3CB Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Own 2 2800's at Home  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually own 4 of these rotors. 2 are of the early AC variety we use at K8GP for our microwave antenna positioners; and, two are the newer DC variety installed on my towers at home. Performance, reliability, quality, and support are all superb in my opinion. We have had winds gusting to over 60 mph here on MD's eastern shore and both my arrays, which present alot of wind load, have not budged in their respective rotors and everything has remained aligned.

I do have a question for anyone in the know. With the AC version it was possible using P7 to program a south stop without having to re-orient the mast pipe/antennas mechanically. It appears there is no similar way to do this with the rc2800px controllers I have, i.e. using P3 only effects the controller, it appears you must also mecahncially re-position the mast pipe/antennas in order to achieve a true south stop from the default North stop or "0". Is there a way to set a South stop without having to mechancially re-positioning the mast pipe/anetnnas? Any help would be appreciated. Owen, K3CB

WB6RSE Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 21:58 Send this review to a friend
VERY STRONG ROTATOR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 25+ years of brand H rotator swap outs, broken ring gears and rebuilds, I decided to try the strength of the OR2800. It has been flawless and without the loud "click" of a brake. I do not expect to have to swap it out any time soon, if ever. It seemed as if it would turn just about anything during bench check.

I chose the Green Heron Engineering RT-20 controller for the ultimate in ease of operation.

It's been an excellent, easy to use and reliable combination.

W5LL Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2005 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rotator is AMAZING! It would probably turn my house if I could somehow attach it to the rotator. I currently have a 5el 20m monobander with a 48' boom and a 9el 6m monobander with a 36' boom and this rotator loafs when turning the array, even in high wind!. Progamming is simple. Installation is easy, although you will have to have a custom rotor plate or drill your own as the holes don't line up on the standard rotor plate from Rohn. Also, if you're tower is 200' + away from the shack as is mine you'll need some heavy duty rotor cable. I bought the stuff from The Wire Man that was supposedly made just for this purpose and still had problems. It wasn't until I spliced in some RG-58 for the two control leads did the rotor start working correctly. Obviously, no fault of the rotator but the signal loss over the long cable run was just to great. I would not hesitate to purchase another one. It's a great rotator, made in the USA unlike certain other competitors who make you wait 3 months for one of their rotators while it comes across the ocean on a boat!

WA6OXK Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2004 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Built Super-Tough, sophisticated, will turn a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now have 15 months using the M^2 OR2800P, which replaced a HyGain HDR300A turning a KLM 40M3A, KT34XA, 2M-13LBA, and WARC rotating dipole. Lots of wind load (>22 ft^2).

After Wyatt at M^2 walked me through a few initial installation problems and FedEx'ed some replacement parts (including the new watertight cable connection box for free), it has not turned a hair. Customer service is superb, delivered by Hams who like what they are doing and are proud of the products they make. Wyatt also was very helpful before purchase advsing me if the 2800P would fit in a HG-52HD Hy-Gain tower (required the optional smaller 6"x6" round mounting plate).

The Orion truly loafs along while spinning a bunch of big yagis, even in high winds (by Northern California standards). The three mode controller has worked flawlessly and is very convenient.

Would not hesitate a msec to purchase another Orion. Dealing with M^2 is an old fashioned pleasure.

Craig
WA6OXK

WB4ZNH Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2004 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a lot of different rotors, but I feel this is the best I have ever owned. It is STRONG and goes exactly where I and my computer tells it to go. I have a 6 element 6m beam, a 2 element 40m and a 16 element tribander all stacked up and the rotor turns like it was turning a TV antenna. It divides 1 degree into 11 pulses, so it is 100 percent repeatable and accurate. I have actually owned it longer than 3 months, but it has been up doing its job for less than 3 months. 73, Carl

9K2KS Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2003 01:09 Send this review to a friend
IT'S A POSITIONER !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used Hy-Gain and Yaesu rotators but, Mē OR-2800PDC is not a rotator it is a POSITIONER !!!
If the controller didn't detecte pulses from the 18 wheeler on the tower It will not move.
In another word it will not direct the aerial blindly.

*Excellent quality of hardware.Extremely heavy duty mast bracket .
*Designed to fit Rohn 55 rotator shelf "other types also".
*Built in computer control.
*Excellent customer service from Mē,one phone call and the problem solved." Thanks Wyatt "

The problem was that it will not rotate 360°.

Fully tight the drive plate " top plate " on the drive shaft.Bolt down to the end of the driveshaft.
and they recommend removing the male connector from the cable pigtail and solder the control cable directly.

73's