Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | M2 Orion 2800P Help

Reviews Summary for M2 Orion 2800P
M2 Orion 2800P Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1429.00
Description: 35 sq. ft. wind load rotator

You can write your own review of the M2 Orion 2800P.

9K2FM Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
It's The Best Rotators  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Have The HDR-300 From HyGail More Than 10 Years
But !! , I need A Good And Strong Rotor For My Steup Antenaa , ( Kt-36XA From M2 & XM-240 From
Cushcraft For 40M ) .

I Found May Products , Ineed A good and Strong
And I Found The OR-2800 PX From M2 , It's Heavy Duty And Excellent Desigh .

- Excellent Hard Ware And Ready To ( RS-232 ) .
- Heavy Duty Cabel And Good For The weather in kuwait .
- Thank's For Question Mic ( K6MYC ) M2 Owner .
- Thank's For The Cable Jay ( WX0B ) .
- Thank's Also For Mohammed ( 9K2RF ) Bo Jasem .
- The Rotator It's Work Very Nice .

Thank's For All .

K6RIM Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2009 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Rugged & Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
My QTH is on a 1,000' ridgetop, where the wind can be brutal. After moving here many years ago, I discovered that riveted antennas would not survive a winter due to the wind loosening the rivets and making the antenna electrically incontinent. So I need a rotor (and antenna) that can withstand a high wind environment.

The Orion has proven to be both rugged and reliable. It has never failed or required service in over a decade of use. It turns a M2 log periodic weighing around 85 pounds and a M2 5-element 6 Meter yagi.

I did replace the M2 control box with the Green Heron RT-21D, which is much easier to use and to program.

N1CX Rating: 1/5 Nov 1, 2009 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Less than stellar  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I must be missing something because 30 plus years of experience told me when I opened the box that the problem I was going to see with this unit was loosening and loss of the rotor to plate bolts. Less than 3 months later with this rotor at 89' and turning a M2 20M5 it lost 3 of the 4 bolts. Properly torqued also. The bolt pattern is just too small of a diameter to handle any kind of torque. Simple physics says as large a bolt circle as possible for what it's designed for...and since it's only turning a M2 antenna well within it's range of use, you'd figure it would last longer than this.

We've been through every rotor out there in the last 10 years at a contest station in Maine. This sees use 12-15 times a year and is not worked hard. 2 cw contests and the rest of the time is weekend ham operating with sporadic use. We decided to try this rotor with the reasoning that it was supposed to be designed for use with the M2 line of antennas. Again well within spec. We also based this decision on the many glowing reports here. THAT was a bad decision I guess. Either that or our standards are much higher than the average ham and don't expect to be doing maintenance on a monopole every month to make sure the thing isn't about to fall out.

I call poobah on this rotor. 3/8x24 bolts are ENTIRELY too small on a ~4.5" bolt circle to handle the torque of a 45' boom yagi.
K5MM Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Rotator Great, Control not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed an OR-2800P-DC Rotator and 2800PX control a year ago. The rotator is an excellent trouble free unit. It replaced a Hy-Gain HRD300A, used for 20 years,that was not so trouble free. I have a 250 foot run from the shack to the rotator. I immediately noticed I was losing pulses, i.e. degrees with every rotation of my antennas. M2 told me the cure was shielded cables for my control lines to the 2800PX control. I decided to keep my control cable installation and replace the 2800PX with a Green Heron RT-21. I have not had to recalibrate my control since that replacement 10 months ago and I can control the rotator via software through the RT-21 (the 2800PX has an RS232 interface too.) I could have been happy with the 2800PX had it worked for me. The RT-21 programing interface and point and shoot capacity is more flexible and a better choice for me.
N8NN Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2009 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent heavy duty rotor.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using it to turn a 3-element 40-meter yagi and a Force 12 C3 tribander. Works flawlessly. Motor ramps up to speed then slows down before stopping -- this protects the antennas from damage. Controller connects to a computer for automatic control by my DX4WIN logging program. I replaced all the mounting hardware with stainless steel before installing. Highly recommended. Top qualty.
W4CYS Rating: 2/5 Jun 22, 2009 15:35 Send this review to a friend
rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an apparent lightening strike that caused some serious damage to my in the shack indicator, rotor box. I sent that back to the manufacturer and they replaced the printed circuit board and the cabinet. Upon sending it back to me, and checking out the indicator box and the rotor in my hamshack, I found that the rotor only rotates about 10 degrees and then it stops. I am not pleased with the overall service of my unit as the system does not work properly.
KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Heavy Duty !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Hygain TH-11 in a high and windy area. MY experance showed that the tailtwisters lasted just over 2 years by a few months,the BIG Yaesu 2800 lasted just under 2 years both times,but the Orian (M2) 2800 lasted over 7.5 years (B4 the latested upgrade MOD's) and was easy to cal when needed. The performance was outstanding. 73 GL & DX
KB9WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2008 11:20 Send this review to a friend
solid and beefy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
married my Orion with a Green Heron controller, been up two days, solid operation, nice and smooth starts and stops using a gentle ramp - the Orion seems very well build, quality parts, and you can't beat M2 for knowledgeable and friendly service -- I really like the new connecton box -- am looking forward of years of trouble free "turnin and burnin" with my array -- KB9WL
K3CB Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Own 2 2800's at Home  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually own 4 of these rotors. 2 are of the early AC variety we use at K8GP for our microwave antenna positioners; and, two are the newer DC variety installed on my towers at home. Performance, reliability, quality, and support are all superb in my opinion. We have had winds gusting to over 60 mph here on MD's eastern shore and both my arrays, which present alot of wind load, have not budged in their respective rotors and everything has remained aligned.

I do have a question for anyone in the know. With the AC version it was possible using P7 to program a south stop without having to re-orient the mast pipe/antennas mechanically. It appears there is no similar way to do this with the rc2800px controllers I have, i.e. using P3 only effects the controller, it appears you must also mecahncially re-position the mast pipe/antennas in order to achieve a true south stop from the default North stop or "0". Is there a way to set a South stop without having to mechancially re-positioning the mast pipe/anetnnas? Any help would be appreciated. Owen, K3CB
WB6RSE Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 21:58 Send this review to a friend
VERY STRONG ROTATOR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 25+ years of brand H rotator swap outs, broken ring gears and rebuilds, I decided to try the strength of the OR2800. It has been flawless and without the loud "click" of a brake. I do not expect to have to swap it out any time soon, if ever. It seemed as if it would turn just about anything during bench check.

I chose the Green Heron Engineering RT-20 controller for the ultimate in ease of operation.

It's been an excellent, easy to use and reliable combination.