Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | ARRL Antenna Modeling course Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL Antenna Modeling course
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $80 members / $110 non-members
Description: Online Certification and Continuing Education course for learning how to model antenna systems using NEC-based antenna modeling software (EZNEC, NEC-Win Plus, et al.)
More info: http://www.arrl.org/cce

You can write your own review of the ARRL Antenna Modeling course.

73383 Rating: 3/5 Dec 20, 2009 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money but has problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This course is a good way to get started with antenna modeling. It covers many topics and is a hands-on course. The author of the course (Cebik) is well-known to the amateur radio community and he is considered an expert. The course is not very expensive (but to get the most benefit you need the full version of NEC-WIN Plus or EZNEC).

The course manual and models are very helpful, especially if you are like me and do not use the modeling programs every day.

On the other hand, this course could be vastly improved by someone going through it and correcting the many, many instances of poor grammar and correcting the many annoying errors.

Not all of the course contains bad grammar or has errors but there are many passages that I had to read several times before I understood what the author was saying. I never did figure out some passages. This slowed me down considerably because I just was not sure what the point was or what I should do. Also, the errors are relatively small but very annoying. Most errors are obvious, but why are they there in the first place? This is not a brand new course, and all errors should have been fixed by now.

When I completed the course and filled out the requested course critique, I volunteered to fix the problems mentioned above. I had made many notes and kept track of all errors and where improvements could be made, especially to the student's understanding of why such and such is relevant.

I was not at all surprised that ARRL did not contact me or even acknowledge my comments. I am not a member of the old-boys club, and I wonder if anyone even reads student comments. I doubt it. So, I tossed my notes and moved on. Too bad because I would have given the course a 5 if someone before me had at least read the course and fixed the gross problems.