Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet CX-333 Triband Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CX-333 Triband Base Antenna
Comet CX-333 Triband Base Antenna Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: Triband base antenna. 2m/1.25m/70cm (145/220/440)
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/base.html

You can write your own review of the Comet CX-333 Triband Base Antenna.

KK6HUY Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 11:13 Send this review to a friend
very nice, a bit large!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cons: almost 9 feet tall. If you live in the burbs your neighbors are going to see this. Fortunately, I have good neighbors. It's not unbreakable but so far no issues.

Pros: Everything else. Mine's about 18 feet off the ground, being fed with only 25 feet of line, so losses from that are pretty much a non-issue. I can broadcast simplex with 5/9 to my stepfather's house 35 miles away. Using both my Yaesu FT-991 and my (not kidding) Baofeng UV-5X.
I can hit most every repeater in SoCal using either one. I have yet to hook it up to my Airspy for listening purposes but am sure it will be equally nice.

K7NQB Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Works but a little expensive.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for over a year. It has performed flawlessly. I can receive a clear VHF signal over 50 miles away. (transmitter power unknown belongs to law enforcement) I would have liked to pay a little less but sometimes good stuff demands a little higher initial cost. It is quite a bit better than my home brew arrow. The review posted that indicates the connection within the antenna cannot be made. You need to bend a small hook on the end of a piece of wire strong enough to tug the connection down to where you can grasp it. Mine was the same way and I believe it happens in shipping. I hope you have figured this out by now or your wasting a very good antenna.

AK9S Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2017 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Below Expectations, Poor Design, Over Priced  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Based on the excellent reviews of this antenna, I decided to order one.

The overall quality of the antenna was found to be poor. And so is the workmanship - the bottom support aluminum sleeve had incorrectly drilled holes which prevented the mounting of the antenna. To Comet' s credit, they quickly sent me a properly drilled support sleeve.

The antenna's outer casing is made from very thin plastic, the thickness being greater than a ping ping ball, and less than the thickness of an egg shell. The radiator itself is nothing more than a wire inside the casing, with a small capacitor, so it can only handle 120 W. I know - the casing broke in half after accidentally dropping the antenna!

I have seem the exact same design being sold online and at Hamfests for $40 as a Chinese manufacturer item. How Comet can sell a similar (or perhaps same) antenna with their name on it for $180 is beyond me.

In terms of performance, the Comet radiated well with hard line, but there was no provision for tuning any of the three bands. Do not expect a flat match, but modest standing waves on each band. On the plus side, the antenna is very light, so it is easy to erect.

Unfortunately, the CX-333 comes with a SO-239 base connector rather than a N-connector, which creates unnecessary losses on the 70 cm band (about 1.2 dB from two PL-259 connectors.) Even Hustler VHF antennas come with N-connectors, so there is absolutely no excuse for this shortcoming.

The coax must go through the support sleeve, so the lowest loss coax one can use is limited to 1/2-inch hard line with PL-259 connectors. That, in itself is a huge problem, as 100-feet of LDF4-50A with connectors costs over $350 and you will need to order it with lossy PL-259 connectors. So using hard line on this antenna makes no sense at all.

If you use 100-feet of RG-213 on this antenna, expect 5 dB loss from the coax and another 1.2 dB from both PL-259 connectors, for a total loss of 6.2 dB. That indicates less than 25% of your power makes its way into the antenna on 440 MHz.

LMR-400 coax would bring that loss down to 2.7 dB plus 1.2 dB from PL-259's for a total loss of 3.9 dB. Now only 40% of your power is directed into the antenna at 440 MHz. The majority is lost!

No problems on VHF if you plan to use the CX-333 on that portion of the radio spectrum.

All said, this antenna falls significantly short in several areas and commands a ridiculously high price for what it truly is. I will never purchase a Comet product again.

KM4PWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very happy with it. Works good on all three bands. the 1.26m band is a little higher on SWR than the others, but that was to be expected. Overall, great value.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2015 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own two Comet CX-333 Triband antennas. Based on my experience, the quality and performance of the CX-333 has always met my expectations. Historically, I purchased my first Comet CX-333 in the late 90's as a base antenna. It was used for several years, but then stored away after a move to a new location.

Last year, I became interested in experimenting with APRS on the 2 meter band. Therefore, I decided to mount the old CX-333 on my roof using an unused Dish antenna mount. The bottom of the antenna is about 24 feet from the ground. Using a Yaesu FT-5100 at 5 watts, APRS.FI reports that my APRS signal is being gated into the APRS system by several stations. One station is over 50 miles away.

Until recently, I have not been active on VHF and UHF phone for many years. I decided to add that capability to my station. Based on past favorable experience. I purchased a second Comet CX-333 a few weeks ago. That antenna was installed at the top of a tower. The bottom of the antenna sits at 86 feet, and is being fed with 175 feet of Davis Bury Flex 400 cable. On the bands of 2m/1.25cm/70cm, I am hearing more than 40 different repeaters from my semi-rural location. Some of the repeaters heard on 2 meters are over 125 miles away. Local repeaters are easily accessed, and reception of repeaters within a 30 mile radius are 60 over S9. Local contacts a few miles away on simplex are also easily maintained with minimal power. A mobile station that was 20 miles away, reported that I was 60 over S9 when I was using 50 watts on 2 meters.

In my opinion, the Comet CX-333 is a great antenna. It provides a good match for the designated bands of design, and has proven to have adequate performance at a reasonable cost.

K1RI Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2014 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Can Not Couple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just opened my new antenna, looked over the instructions. Simple enough. I can't ever get past step one to couple the top and bottom sections. The top section has the male connection so far up the sleeve there is no way to make the connection. Anyone else have this problem?

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 10:03 Send this review to a friend
2 years later, still plugging along!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two years after getting this antenna up, it's still plugging along. I picked up a SO-239 to male SMA pigtail and I now can listen all over the place!

Needless to say, I have a ton of freqs in my handheld and I listen to quite a bit. I also pick up a good deal of birdies and other offending transmitter issues around here too.

All in All, it was worth the money, I still haven't gotten a dual band mobile and a 220 MHZ mobile with a triplexer and duplexer. Someday I will, hopefully.

Pick one up, you can't go wrong.

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 13:33 Send this review to a friend
5+ years of solid performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update from my review in January of 2009. As of last night, the VSWR performance of this antenna is still within a few percent of when I installed it 5 and a half years ago. My analyzer will only let me check resonance up to 180MHz, but it was still close to the same resonance points as 2009. I was only able to check the 222MHz and 440MHZ bands with a VSWR meter. What maintenance have I done? Other than going up on the roof and lowering the mast to visually inspect the antenna twice a year, none!

K4QE Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 12:38 Send this review to a friend
5 Years and Counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
My CX-333 was easily assembled and readily mounted upon a tripod with ten foot mast on my roof at 45 feet AGL. It performs as expected on all three bands fed through a Comet CFX-324 triplexer. It has endured several severe storms with nary a wimper. Hard to go wrong with this one.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Rugged & Holds Up Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my vertical up over a year. It has withstood 70 MPH winds last winter in a blizzard we had not to mention strong gusty winds this summer during violent thunder storms. It is 50 feet up in the air at the base.

It has a decent SWR on all 3 bands while it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I highly recommend it!

Bill/K1FPV